+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: 3GS un-unlockable. Tried everything!

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, I have an apple iphone 3GS that I bought from the US, and got back to India. It was working fine until last month, whence it suddenly locked
...
  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default 3GS on 4.1 and 5.13.04 . Snowed in by ultrasn0w! Nothing works!
    Hey guys,

    I have an apple iphone 3GS that I bought from the US, and got back to India. It was working fine until last month, whence it suddenly locked itself.

    It turns out that it had upgraded the baseband to 6.15.

    Now, I got redsn0w, and downgraded the iphone baseband after jailbreaking it . (it was already jailbroken, I did it again using redsnow)

    The iphone baseband was gotten to 5.13.04. The OS that is running is 4.1

    I have tried all manner of ultrasn0w from Cydia, it hasnt unlocked it at all!!!

    Tried ultrasn0w, restarted the phone ----* many times.

    Did not work. The device is locked!

    What to do ? How do I unlock my phone to run it on a random SIM card???


    Thanks a lot folks!

  2. #2
    EVO
    EVO is offline
    Super EVO Moderator EVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,519
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 803 Times in 489 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rwnano View Post
    Hey guys,

    I have an apple iphone 3GS that I bought from the US, and got back to India. It was working fine until last month, whence it suddenly locked itself.

    It turns out that it had upgraded the baseband to 6.15.

    Now, I got redsn0w, and downgraded the iphone baseband after jailbreaking it . (it was already jailbroken, I did it again using redsnow)

    The iphone baseband was gotten to 5.13.04. The OS that is running is 4.1

    I have tried all manner of ultrasn0w from Cydia, it hasnt unlocked it at all!!!

    Tried ultrasn0w, restarted the phone ----* many times.

    Did not work. The device is locked!

    What to do ? How do I unlock my phone to run it on a random SIM card???


    Thanks a lot folks!
    although downgrading to 05.13.04 should work since it is an unlockable baseband, there are still people with issues with it for some unknown reason that I have no idea of

    however, there is something I can suggest that you do that can hopefully work...

    since the iphone is on 05.13.04, use itunes and allow it to update your iOS firmware to 5.1.1, this will also update your baseband to 05.16.05 (the latest baseband for 3Gs), then use redsn0w to "ONLY" install cydia (this will jailbreak the phone), then once the jailbreak process is done and you see the Cydia icon on your homescreen, then use redsn0w again to "ONLY" install the ipad baseband

    once the ipad baseband has successfully been installed, open cydia and install ultrasn0w, then test your SIM card to see if it receives a signal...

    if it receives a signal, then run redsn0w again, and this time "ONLY" select the downgrade ipad baseband, once its done insert your sim card again and wait patiently for 2-3 minutes but no longer then 5 minutes to see if it receives a carrier signal

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    although downgrading to 05.13.04 should work since it is an unlockable baseband, there are still people with issues with it for some unknown reason that I have no idea of

    however, there is something I can suggest that you do that can hopefully work...

    since the iphone is on 05.13.04, use itunes and allow it to update your iOS firmware to 5.1.1, this will also update your baseband to 05.16.05 (the latest baseband for 3Gs), then use redsn0w to "ONLY" install cydia (this will jailbreak the phone), then once the jailbreak process is done and you see the Cydia icon on your homescreen, then use redsn0w again to "ONLY" install the ipad baseband

    once the ipad baseband has successfully been installed, open cydia and install ultrasn0w, then test your SIM card to see if it receives a signal...

    if it receives a signal, then run redsn0w again, and this time "ONLY" select the downgrade ipad baseband, once its done insert your sim card again and wait patiently for 2-3 minutes but no longer then 5 minutes to see if it receives a carrier signal

    Is there a way of doing this by using 4.1 IOS. I believe somewhere else you mentioned that 4.1 is the best IOs for the 3GS. ?

    Should I get a custom 4.1 and restore using itunes ; instead of doing this using snowbreeze and a custom ipsw based off of 5.1.1 ??

    If yes, then could you give me a link for this custom 4.1 which allows me to unlock and jailbreak my phone again.

    Thanks a lot Sir! its a great help and I am grateful.

  4. #4
    EVO
    EVO is offline
    Super EVO Moderator EVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,519
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 803 Times in 489 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rwnano View Post
    Is there a way of doing this by using 4.1 IOS. I believe somewhere else you mentioned that 4.1 is the best IOs for the 3GS. ?

    Should I get a custom 4.1 and restore using itunes ; instead of doing this using snowbreeze and a custom ipsw based off of 5.1.1 ??

    If yes, then could you give me a link for this custom 4.1 which allows me to unlock and jailbreak my phone again.

    Thanks a lot Sir! its a great help and I am grateful.
    we need to update and downgrade the baseband to see if it will somehow recognize your sim card, and the only to do that is if you update to 5.1.1....

    think of it like having a lawn mower, even though there's gas in the tank and everything "seems" to work fine, but it wont start up after pulling the cord, until you keep pulling and pulling until it eventually powers on

    I also did mention 4.1 being the best iOS for 3Gs, but you can always restore to that using a custom firmware once you get the sim card recognized, because its obviously not on 4.1 currently

  5. #5
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    we need to update and downgrade the baseband to see if it will somehow recognize your sim card, and the only to do that is if you update to 5.1.1....

    think of it like having a lawn mower, even though there's gas in the tank and everything "seems" to work fine, but it wont start up after pulling the cord, until you keep pulling and pulling until it eventually powers on

    I also did mention 4.1 being the best iOS for 3Gs, but you can always restore to that using a custom firmware once you get the sim card recognized, because its obviously not on 4.1 currently


    Kind Sir, I am using this flowchart for this ;

    Jailbreak & Unlock iPhone 3GS on iOS 5.1 with Sn0wbreeze Custom Firmware | iPhoneJailbreak.me

    Downloaded a custom ipsw from somehwere (dont remember where, just remember that it is jailbroken already (or something) )

    To that custom IPSW, I added snowbreeze to make a snowbreeze ipsw.

    Then I forgot to do the pwn dfu using snowbreeze.

    Then am running 10.6 itunes to install the modified ipsw.

    will update this thread once its done.

  6. #6
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Got 5.1.1 . Damn thing is not activating now. Redsn0w says device is not activated!
    EVO -san,


    The 3GS , I go ahead in the activation process, put in my Airtel (indian) sim card (I'm in New Delhi). Then go ahead, connect to wifi, tell em that my location is India, allow them to track my location to improve services like google maps, and then ....

    it fails to activate.


    When I connect it to itunes and try to activate it from there, it says "your phone does not have a SIM card in it. Please disconnect, and insert SIM card and try again."

  7. #7
    EVO
    EVO is offline
    Super EVO Moderator EVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,519
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 803 Times in 489 Posts

    you did not follow my instructions, if you want to do try to resolve this issue, you must follow what I suggest...


    The first thing is, DO NOT use a custom firmware , if you use a custom firmware, your baseband will NOT update to 05.16.05, which is what we need to test...

    you must use itunes to update to a stock 5.1.1 firmware so it will update your iphone..

    then use "redsn0w" and follow my instructions earlier.......when you click on "Install Cydia", it will "hactivate" your phone, which means it will "ACTIVATE" it for you without having an original sim card, then continue on with my instructions...

    the reason why it failed to activate was because you used sn0wbreeze and didnt select the option to "Activate your iphone"

    so follow my instructions and update back on the progress

  8. #8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    you did not follow my instructions, if you want to do try to resolve this issue, you must follow what I suggest...


    The first thing is, DO NOT use a custom firmware , if you use a custom firmware, your baseband will NOT update to 05.16.05, which is what we need to test...

    you must use itunes to update to a stock 5.1.1 firmware so it will update your iphone..

    then use "redsn0w" and follow my instructions earlier.......when you click on "Install Cydia", it will "hactivate" your phone, which means it will "ACTIVATE" it for you without having an original sim card, then continue on with my instructions...

    the reason why it failed to activate was because you used sn0wbreeze and didnt select the option to "Activate your iphone"

    so follow my instructions and update back on the progress

    okay so this is what worked fpr me;

    1. update to 511 using itunes 10.6 . used apple factory automativally downloaded ipsw.
    2. activation process. could not hacktivate using redsnow. gave me an error; "activate your phone first" when i was jailbreaking my phone.
    3. used How To: Hacktivate iPhone 3GS & 4 on 5.1.1 (Activate without Sim Card) process to activate my phone. used 5.1.0 ipsw and redsnow and jailbreaking.
    4. got 6.15 baseband using the above. did redsnow jailbreak and 5.13 baseband.
    5.went to cydia, tried unlocking using ultrasnow, did not work. then installed rocky racoon.

    VOILA. unlocked. works. party!!!

    thanks EVO. I modded your procedure and got a good result.

  9. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Jabbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tutu Island
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    you did not follow my instructions, if you want to do try to resolve this issue, you must follow what I suggest...


    The first thing is, DO NOT use a custom firmware , if you use a custom firmware, your baseband will NOT update to 05.16.05, which is what we need to test...

    you must use itunes to update to a stock 5.1.1 firmware so it will update your iphone..

    then use "redsn0w" and follow my instructions earlier.......when you click on "Install Cydia", it will "hactivate" your phone, which means it will "ACTIVATE" it for you without having an original sim card, then continue on with my instructions...

    the reason why it failed to activate was because you used sn0wbreeze and didnt select the option to "Activate your iphone"

    so follow my instructions and update back on the progress
    *** I have 1 question regarding the "Activation" thing. If he upgrade to stock 5.1.1, he will need the original sim to activate it, right? What if he doesn't have it?

    I've been using the following method and so far so good, no issues yet.

    1. Put phone in DFU mode
    2. Flash back stock 4.1 in iTunes
    3. Use redsn0w_win_0.9.6b5 to upgrade baseband to 6.15
    4. Custom firmware 5.1.1 using sn0wbreeze-v2.8b10 (it will ask if you want to activate your phone) Select Yes!
    5. Use redsn0w_win_0.9.14b2 to downgrade baseband (I always select "Install Cydia" & "Downgrade iPad Baseband" and the same time)
    6. Turn off Network settings & location settings and remove simcard
    7. Install ultrasnow

    I only use this method when nothing else works especially the activation.

  10. #10
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Evo evo evo ; an update!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwnano View Post
    okay so this is what worked fpr me;

    1. update to 511 using itunes 10.6 . used apple factory automativally downloaded ipsw.
    2. activation process. could not hacktivate using redsnow. gave me an error; "activate your phone first" when i was jailbreaking my phone.
    3. used How To: Hacktivate iPhone 3GS & 4 on 5.1.1 (Activate without Sim Card) process to activate my phone. used 5.1.0 ipsw and redsnow and jailbreaking.
    4. got 6.15 baseband using the above. did redsnow jailbreak and 5.13 baseband.
    5.went to cydia, tried unlocking using ultrasnow, did not work. then installed rocky racoon.

    VOILA. unlocked. works. party!!!

    thanks EVO. I modded your procedure and got a good result.

    Update. Sunday morning here in New Delhi. The Indian space organization just launched a huge rocket , smoke billowing and all. Grand spectacle.

    And promptly, albeit a little less grandly, my iphone unlock" stops working and I get "searching" and "no service" on my iphone.

    So.

    I will, on this setup, try what has been given in the original EVO post, to the T. and See.


    Cheers,

    RW

  11. #11
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    although downgrading to 05.13.04 should work since it is an unlockable baseband, there are still people with issues with it for some unknown reason that I have no idea of

    however, there is something I can suggest that you do that can hopefully work...

    since the iphone is on 05.13.04, use itunes and allow it to update your iOS firmware to 5.1.1, this will also update your baseband to 05.16.05 (the latest baseband for 3Gs), then use redsn0w to "ONLY" install cydia (this will jailbreak the phone), then once the jailbreak process is done and you see the Cydia icon on your homescreen, then use redsn0w again to "ONLY" install the ipad baseband

    once the ipad baseband has successfully been installed, open cydia and install ultrasn0w, then test your SIM card to see if it receives a signal...

    This works till here. I run ultrasnow when I have the ipad baseband. It unlocks and my carrier is detected.


    if it receives a signal, then run redsn0w again, and this time "ONLY" select the downgrade ipad baseband, once its done insert your sim card again and wait patiently for 2-3 minutes but no longer then 5 minutes to see if it receives a carrier signal
    But here. When I have the unlocked ipad baseband, it does not have the option for "downgrade ipad baseband" in redsn0w.

    ^^ as you can see I followed these instructions properly and am reporting back to you.

    Yesterday, when I did what I did in the last post, which was pretty much the same as I did this time, BUT, I jailbroke and upgraded ipad baseband in the same step by cheking the boxes in redsnow; the phone ran well for the day but locked itself the next day. ,

    Now I am using the 6.15 baseband and seeing how long this remains unlocked.

    cheers.

  12. #12
    EVO
    EVO is offline
    Super EVO Moderator EVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,519
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 803 Times in 489 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rwnano View Post
    This works till here. I run ultrasnow when I have the ipad baseband. It unlocks and my carrier is detected.



    But here. When I have the unlocked ipad baseband, it does not have the option for "downgrade ipad baseband" in redsn0w.

    ^^ as you can see I followed these instructions properly and am reporting back to you.

    Yesterday, when I did what I did in the last post, which was pretty much the same as I did this time, BUT, I jailbroke and upgraded ipad baseband in the same step by cheking the boxes in redsnow; the phone ran well for the day but locked itself the next day. ,

    Now I am using the 6.15 baseband and seeing how long this remains unlocked.

    cheers.
    are you sure that you are using redsn0w v0.9.14b2, because this "Downgrade from the iPad baseband" option was not integrated into redsn0w until v0.9.14b1, and fixed minor issues in v0.9.14b2

    what I'm starting to suspect is its either the antenna on your 3Gs that may be going bad, or your carrier's Tower which may be susceptible to interference (but most likely not)

  13. #13
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    are you sure that you are using redsn0w v0.9.14b2, because this "Downgrade from the iPad baseband" option was not integrated into redsn0w until v0.9.14b1, and fixed minor issues in v0.9.14b2

    what I'm starting to suspect is its either the antenna on your 3Gs that may be going bad, or your carrier's Tower which may be susceptible to interference (but most likely not)

    1. It definitely is the 14b2 version of redsnow. For sure.

    it showed the downgrade from ipad baseband when I ran it the first time after factory restoring 5.1.1. from itunes.

    2. You might be right about the antenna on the 3GS.

    3. Whats a good way of transferring files from the iphone to the PC? The method that gets it closest to drag and drop?
    Any tutorials on this, I am a complete newbie here. I just shifted from the android to the iphone because the android was running unreliable on me. I hope the iphone is better.

  14. #14
    EVO
    EVO is offline
    Super EVO Moderator EVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,519
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 803 Times in 489 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rwnano View Post
    1. It definitely is the 14b2 version of redsnow. For sure.

    it showed the downgrade from ipad baseband when I ran it the first time after factory restoring 5.1.1. from itunes.

    2. You might be right about the antenna on the 3GS.

    3. Whats a good way of transferring files from the iphone to the PC? The method that gets it closest to drag and drop?
    Any tutorials on this, I am a complete newbie here. I just shifted from the android to the iphone because the android was running unreliable on me. I hope the iphone is better.
    you can backup your photos, contacts, and sms messages using itunes by right-clicking your device in itunes and clicking on Backup

  15. #15
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    you can backup your photos, contacts, and sms messages using itunes by right-clicking your device in itunes and clicking on Backup


    ^^^^

    Can you access these backed up contacts on the itunes? Like, as in, read them and see what the contacts are and get their numbers ? As a step to manually transferring contacts......

    Thanks,
    Last edited by rwnano; 09-09-2012 at 03:30 AM.

  16. #16
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default big problem with jailbroken 3gs
    hey recently i brought a jailbroken iphone 3gs wich i didnt realise it was jailbroken and connected it to itunes to update it because when i tryed to get fb from the app store it said my ios was out of date so now i cant get past the start screen and ive tryed everything on the internet and sn0wbreeze have i made the phone unuseable or sumthing please help btw i dont understand basestands etc

  17. #17
    Super Moderator iYeow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    13,937
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

    You must be at IOS 5.1.1, you can use an official sim for your iphone to activate it or run redsn0w 0.9.14b2 to hactivate and jailbreak for you.

  18. #18
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    although downgrading to 05.13.04 should work since it is an unlockable baseband, there are still people with issues with it for some unknown reason that I have no idea of

    however, there is something I can suggest that you do that can hopefully work...

    since the iphone is on 05.13.04, use itunes and allow it to update your iOS firmware to 5.1.1, this will also update your baseband to 05.16.05 (the latest baseband for 3Gs), then use redsn0w to "ONLY" install cydia (this will jailbreak the phone), then once the jailbreak process is done and you see the Cydia icon on your homescreen, then use redsn0w again to "ONLY" install the ipad baseband

    once the ipad baseband has successfully been installed, open cydia and install ultrasn0w, then test your SIM card to see if it receives a signal...

    if it receives a signal, then run redsn0w again, and this time "ONLY" select the downgrade ipad baseband, once its done insert your sim card again and wait patiently for 2-3 minutes but no longer then 5 minutes to see if it receives a carrier signal
    @EVO ; will this work on iPhone 4 bb 04.12.01? Thanks

  19. #19
    EVO
    EVO is offline
    Super EVO Moderator EVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,519
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 803 Times in 489 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Borneokid View Post
    @EVO ; will this work on iPhone 4 bb 04.12.01? Thanks
    no, the ipad baseband is meant for 3Gs only.....

    if you want to unlock an iphone 4 on the bb 04.12.01, you need to get it unlocked from your carrier or look on ebay for unlockfusion, they unlock iphones (as long as your phone is an AT&T iphone)

  20. #20
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    are you sure that you are using redsn0w v0.9.14b2, because this "Downgrade from the iPad baseband" option was not integrated into redsn0w until v0.9.14b1, and fixed minor issues in v0.9.14b2

    what I'm starting to suspect is its either the antenna on your 3Gs that may be going bad, or your carrier's Tower which may be susceptible to interference (but most likely not)


    Your suspicion seems to be true, EVO MOD.

    I have had to unlock it again two times. Each time it relocked on its own....suddenly "searching for signal" appeared. Couple of times after unlocking it....


    If the 3GS antenna is bad, how do I get it repaired? Are they any home repairs that I can do ?

    Thanks a lot EVO!

    cheers,

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts