+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS un-unlockable. Tried everything!

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by rwnano Your suspicion seems to be true, EVO MOD. I have had to unlock it again two times. Each time it relocked on its own....suddenly "searching for
    EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rwnano View Post
    Your suspicion seems to be true, EVO MOD.

I have had to unlock it again two times. Each time it relocked on its own....suddenly "searching for signal" appeared. Couple of times after unlocking it....

If the 3GS antenna is bad, how do I get it repaired? Are they any home repairs that I can do ?

Thanks a lot EVO!

cheers,
    if you have a local phone repair shop in your area you can take it to them, but as mentioned, I only "suspect" it is an antenna issue, it could very well be some bigger issue, but lets hope not

if there is no repair shop, you can try to contact Cowboy here:
    View Profile: Cowboy - Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums | ModMyi.com

He repairs iphones, but he lives in the US, and you live in the other side of the world..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Angry 3GS un-unlockable. Tried everything!
    I got an Iphone 3GS (older version) in Houston from a friend of mine in 2011 May. This phone, I got unlocked in Houston and it worked fine.

I took it to New Delhi, India, where it worked well till June 2012. Here. it , all of a sudden, one fine day, gave a problem of "Searching for network" and was unable to connect to network.

I was in a deep soup.

After much googling and searching, I started this thread in the jailbreaking section of MMI.com

Here: http://modmyi.com/forums/3g-s-downgr...ing-works.html

EVO who is a mod around here, gave me a great flowchart to try. (it had a mistake, though, which I later rectified)

His flowchart was, 1. Put 5.1.1 ( i had 4.1 earlier)
    2. Quoting him "since the iphone is on 05.13.04, use itunes and allow it to update your iOS firmware to 5.1.1, this will also update your baseband to 05.16.05 (the latest baseband for 3Gs), then use redsn0w to "ONLY" install cydia (this will jailbreak the phone), then once the jailbreak process is done and you see the Cydia icon on your homescreen, then use redsn0w again to "ONLY" install the ipad baseband

once the ipad baseband has successfully been installed, open cydia and install ultrasn0w, then test your SIM card to see if it receives a signal...

if it receives a signal, then run redsn0w again, and this time "ONLY" select the downgrade ipad baseband, once its done insert your sim card again and wait patiently for 2-3 minutes but no longer then 5 minutes to see if it receives a carrier signal"

But this did not take into account the fact that I was unable to activate (hacktivate) the phone after it took up 5.1.1 because it used to be stuck on the apple iphone multi-language welcome screen, and never came to the "you can now use your iphone" end .

EDIT: I WAS ABLE TO ACTIVATE IT WITHOUT USING 5.1.0 IPSW+REDSN0W, WHEN I USED A PRE-DOWNLOADED iPhone2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore RATHER THAN THE ONLINE ITUNES VERSION IPSW WHICH IS DOWNLOADED. I.E I USED SHIFT + RESTORE IN THE FORMER PROCEDURE.

EDIT: THe following IS THE 5.1.0 IPSW METHOD TO HACKTIVATE, WHICH, like i mentioned, i did not use this time.

So I used the flowchart in THIS LINK.

In short, the youtube video in the above LINK, told me that after I upgraded to 5.1.1, I should do the jailbreaking using redsn0w and the 5.1 (i.e not 5.1.1) ipsw , selected in the EXTRAS tab of redsn0w .
    "the 5.1 ipsw will be used for this session"

I did this. Jail broke it. Then, like EVO mod said, installed, only the ipad baseband, then only downgraded it, and then ran ultrasnow.

it unlocked. but for 24 hours then was locked again.

again i tried the whole procedure. it unlocked for 6 hours then re locked.

whattodo folks?????
    Last edited by rwnano; 09-20-2012 at 10:46 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

UPDATE:

I got the 5.1.1 and baseband 6.15.00....go to cydia, and search for and install ultrasnow.
    Says;
    cannot comply . This happened three four times.,

Then I restarted CYDIA, and then tried again. And now it is going through...ultrasnow installed.

And it is unlocked on the 6.15 baseband. Redsnow's downgrade the ipad baseband attempt that I tried was unsuccessful ....it did not go down from 6.15 ipad to 5.13 .

And the redsnow prgram DOES NOT SHOW THE "downgrade ipad baseband " option anymore.

Thats fine.

I ran ultrasnow after a few attempts, and now it is unlocked at 2302 hours in New Delhi, India.

I hope the unlock lasts for a while. Lets see how long it lasts. If it does not last long;
    then;
    1. I will get someone to unlock it by calling up ATnT in the US.
    2. The antenna might not be in good shape. Gotta change the antenna.

THanks!

UPDATE 2;

2314 pm here in New Delhi. The airtel network has died down and no bars are showing in any places.....whereas just after unlocking I made a phone call to make sure that the unlock was working. Now its not working.

There is no signal no service at this point of time. ten minutes earlier it was working ...now it is not.

This may be a hardware issue, as evo mod pointed out in the earlier thread.
    Last edited by rwnano; 09-20-2012 at 11:46 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    @rwnano

Why don't you just use the ebay services for getting a factory unlock ? I bought a new iPhone 3GS 8GB from craigslist few days back and got it unlocked through ebay and i intend to use the iPhone in India only.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
    @rwnano

Why don't you just use the ebay services for getting a factory unlock ? I bought a new iPhone 3GS 8GB from craigslist few days back and got it unlocked through ebay and i intend to use the iPhone in India only.
    ? dunno. lets see by my own efforts first.

can i put a custom, pre-unlocked ipsw on it? how?

EVO
    Thanks

please dont double-post your issue in another section of the thread

this makes it a lot more difficult for us to assist you as we have to migrate from one thread to another to understand the whole issue...

I have merged both of your threads together to make it easier for those who can help to understand your issue...

1 new thing that have merged from your findings is the fact that you stated your airtel network was done....

does this happen frequently in new delhi because if it does, then that may be the source of the issue and not actually the antenna

you woud need to call your carrier and see if the carrier frequently encounters a temporarily cease of their network, otherwise you would replace the antenna for nothing...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post

1 new thing that have merged from your findings is the fact that you stated your airtel network was done....

does this happen frequently in new delhi because if it does, then that may be the source of the issue and not actually the antenna

I know for a fact that it is not...decidedly not the Airtel network in Delhi that is the problem.

I remain open to more software based solutions that help.

EVO
    Thanks

thats the problem, we dont know whether its the software (ultrasn0w) causing it or the hardware (like the antenna)

if you want, you can spend like 9 bucks and use an IMEI unlocking service on ebay to unlock your 3gs, then test the sim card and if it intermittently connects and disconnects from the carrier, then its highly likely its the antenna

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12