+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock iPhone 4 5.1.1 for friend HELP

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello My not-so-tech-savvy friend wants me to find out how to unlock his iPhone 4 from AT&T in the USA to Rogers in Canada. I've looked through lots of sites
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Unlock iPhone 4 5.1.1 for friend HELP
    Hello
    My not-so-tech-savvy friend wants me to find out how to unlock his iPhone 4 from AT&T in the USA to Rogers in Canada. I've looked through lots of sites and on the forums here and still don't have a very solid idea on how I'm going to accomplish this. I've seen that you need to jailbreak (which I am very familiar with) and the I can't quite figure out the steps after that. Any direction would be very helpful. He'd preferably not want to pay, but I don't think that it's completely out of the question. I'm just trying to figure out what my options are and if I can do it myself.

Also, I'm wondering if it is something that I can do on my own computer and then give to him, or will I need to do it on his computer?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    If the phone is out of contract you can contact AT&T and they will unlock the phone for you (your friend). Jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things and since you are on iOS 5.1.1 and i am assuming the baseband was not preserved (to 1.59.00), the only way to unlock for the iPhone 4 now is asking AT&T .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to raksrules For This Useful Post:

grampy1 (09-18-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you. What do you mean by "out of contract"?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grampy1 View Post
    Thank you. What do you mean by "out of contract"?
    Where did you buy the phone from ? See AT&T US phones are generally bought in contract for 2 years or so. Thats how this phone must also have been bought i believe. If the contract on which this particular phone was bought has expired, AT&T will unlock the phone for you. You can tell AT&T that you are traveling abroad and such things to further convince them to unlock the phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay, as in the contact has run out. I understand. My buddy purchased it used from someone. This information is all very helpful, thank you.