+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it safe to unlock my jailbroken iphone through itunes with Orange UK paid code?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Is it safe to unlock my jailbroken iphone through itunes with Orange UK paid code?
    Hi guys,

I'll cut straight to the chase. I'm in the UK on Orange network and having come to the end of my 2 year contract i unlocked using Absinthe. I intend to switch to pay as you go with Giff Gaff ( 02 ) so i rang Orange to end my contract and paid 20 for them to sort out my unlock as, despite endless searching, i could not find any info to do it myself as it seems you can't on my particular 3GS. Anyhows, the Orange guy told me that Apple have recieved my unlock request and i simply plug into itunes and that will do the rest. When i asked him if it mattered that my phone was jailbroken he advised me against going through with the process as it may well brick my phone. He told me if it was him he would take it to the nearest apple store and plead ignorance that my son had jailbroken it, handed it down to me and that i had paid for the unlock etc and let them do the dirty work which he assured me they would. So question is, can i do it myself in itunes no problems or does the Orange guy speak the truth and then i find myself with a useless handset? My model is MC637B, Serial Number 880264SSEDG, IMEI 01 226400 212025 9 and Firmware 05.16.05.
    I have my PUK code to switch numbers so i am good to go i am just waiting for the gods on here to point me in the right direction......

Thanks for the help in advance guys n gals

Thanks
    Thanked 15,050 Times in 6,933 Posts

He's talking craziness. Simply put a different sim in and connect to itunes. It may say "failed to activate", just unplug it and plug it in again and you should get congratulations, your phone is unlocked message. Being jailbroken wont affect anything.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Simon, not only have you got the best Christian name in the world but you are also a superstar! Cheers bud

Thanks

lol, no prob

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Simon. Plugged iphone in with diffo carrier and nothings recognised. Plugged it back in with original orange sim in and its as normal, it recognises no probs. It is not unlocked yet tho'. I think i need to click on 'update' in itunes so that apple can recognise the request to unlock my phone which they have supposedly recieved from Orange.
    Sorry if i did'nt make it clear but the orange fella told me i need to plug into itunes to get the phone unlocked. What do you advise matey?

Thanks

As long as Orange has given you the go ahead that it is unlocked you should be fine. You can probably try restoring it with the other sim in it and see if it activates fine. You can always re-jailbreak after if you want.

Or you can use SAM from cydia to deactivate the phone and then reactivate it with the other sim in it. That will save you restoring it.