+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T blacklisting phone after factory unlock is performed, will it still work????

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
If I have an iPhone I bought off of eBay or craigslist and for whatever reason, it becomes blacklisted AFTER I purchase a factory unlock off eBay, will it still
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default AT&T blacklisting phone after factory unlock is performed, will it still work????
    If I have an iPhone I bought off of eBay or craigslist and for whatever reason, it becomes blacklisted AFTER I purchase a factory unlock off eBay, will it still work in the United States on AT&T/T-Mobile just as if it was not blacklisted? Ever since AT&T started this IMEI blocking/blacklisting, it scares me to buy a used iPhone since they started this but if I can get it unlocked before it's blacklisted and it will still work, then my mind will be put at ease. Let me know! Thank you! RW

Thanks
    Thanked 9,515 Times in 5,842 Posts

Never heard of a phone being blacklisted after a it has been officially unlocked. Blacklisted phones are typically ones that have been reported lost or stolen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reh1015 View Post
    If I have an iPhone I bought off of eBay or craigslist and for whatever reason, it becomes blacklisted AFTER I purchase a factory unlock off eBay, will it still work in the United States on AT&T/T-Mobile just as if it was not blacklisted?
    NO! It will still be blacklisted if it was reported stolen on AT&T and T-Mo...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,515 Times in 5,842 Posts

^ yup, blacklisted is blacklisted, ain't gonna work on any carrier.

EVO
    Thanks

Please do not double-post the same issues in multiple sections of the forum.

If you do not see a reply please be patient, we can only assist so many people, and we are not always on all the time to answer questions.

if you bought a phone whose imei is blacklisted, then you cannot use it on whichever carrier's network it was blacklisted...

if someone reports that phone as stolen or the IMEI was blacklisted AFTER it was blacklisted, then it cannot be used because its blocked on the carrier's server when the phone attempts to activate the sim

if you want to use it, you would need to contact the carrier

Thread moved
    Last edited by EVO; 09-17-2012 at 02:16 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can you tell me if device is blocked in UK, will AT&T unlock it?? any solutions please if there will be problems

Thanks
    Thanked 14,775 Times in 6,871 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weede View Post
    can you tell me if device is blocked in UK, will AT&T unlock it?? any solutions please if there will be problems
    AT&T will only unlock AT&T iPhones.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok, but i just read that only thing AT&T cares is a person who has contract with them, and then he/she is able to unlock up to 5 devices per year.

is it wrong?

my source of winsdom Use AT&T Contract Unlock For iPhone 4 on 04.12.01, 04.11.08 [How to]

Thanks
    Thanked 14,775 Times in 6,871 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weede View Post
    ok, but i just read that only thing AT&T cares is a person who has contract with them, and then he/she is able to unlock up to 5 devices per year.

is it wrong?

my source of winsdom Use AT&T Contract Unlock For iPhone 4 on 04.12.01, 04.11.08 [How to]
    Only iPhones that are locked to ATT. ATT cannot request a unlock for an iPhone that is locked to another carrier. Nothing in that link you provided says they can.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok, thx

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I actually purchased a blacklisted ATT iphone 5 off craigslist as well. When i put my sim in it it would not let me call. ALso it suspended my att account. I got it unlocked using ebay and put a vodafone UK prepaid sim card in it and it worked. I got a text from vodafone telling me im roaming in the usa. Its connected to the ATT network. I dont know if it will work with an att sim.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

BLacklist phone won't work with USA carrier but still outside the US once you get it unlock.