+ Reply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UNLOCK 'In-Contract/Out of Contract' iPhones (3G, 3GS, 4, 4S) without Restoring!!!

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by dont h8 dre Mines was done during the weekend. Used this method on my wife's phone so she can use iOS6. Cool, glad to see someone else
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,683 Times in 5,945 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dont h8 dre View Post
    Mines was done during the weekend. Used this method on my wife's phone so she can use iOS6.
    Cool, glad to see someone else confirm this.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    This is enormously confusing. Any iPhone on any carrier regardless of unlocked status will be able to use iOS6. One has nothing to do with the other. What am I missing?!?
    What your missing is that she wont be able to use the phone if the phone is locked to ATT. We are T-Mobile customers and we can not use the device if its locked to ATT nor can we use Gevey Sim because its not out for that iOS as of yet. I hope this clears things up for you.
    Last edited by dont h8 dre; 09-16-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks

This is enormously confusing. Any iPhone on any carrier regardless of unlocked status will be able to use iOS6. One has nothing to do with the other. What am I missing?!?
    Your correct, confusing isn't it?
    Been doing this for years and sometimes trying to figure out what the question/problem actually is is daunting sometimes.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,992 Times in 4,512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Your correct, confusing isn't it?
    Been doing this for years and sometimes trying to figure out what the question/problem actually is is daunting sometimes.
    Yes. You 'dear' moderators.. oy - what a job. I was telling Simon that I moderate in two other forums - the largest one being a Spanish Language Grammar forum... LOL! You think phone tech is hard - trying multilingual explanations about grammatical nuance from English to Spanish and back again... LOL!!!

But seriously -- Do you have any idea what the poster is really saying here - that he had to UNLOCK before his wife could use iOS6?????? I'm still baffled by this.. LOL!

Thanks

No clue...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes. You 'dear' moderators.. oy - what a job. I was telling Simon that I moderate in two other forums - the largest one being a Spanish Language Grammar forum... LOL! You think phone tech is hard - trying multilingual explanations about grammatical nuance from English to Spanish and back again... LOL!!!

But seriously -- Do you have any idea what the poster is really saying here - that he had to UNLOCK before his wife could use iOS6?????? I'm still baffled by this.. LOL!
    The phone will not work because she would not be able to activate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dont h8 dre View Post
    The phone will not work because she would not be able to activate.
    Sure she would. What makes you think otherwise? You can activate a phone with or without an unlock and on any iOS - including iOS6. You've gotten bad information my friend. :-(
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yup they don't process on the weekends. At least not for me. Been about 24 1/2 hours since my order. Will just come in tmrw.. hopefully.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydodo3 View Post
    Yup they don't process on the weekends. At least not for me. Been about 24 1/2 hours since my order. Will just come in tmrw.. hopefully.
    same boat as you, ordered last night around 11 pm. Hopefully i get it sometime tomorrow, since i'm scheduled to sell the "unlocked" phone tomorrow for $350!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rivryan View Post
    same boat as you, ordered last night around 11 pm. Hopefully i get it sometime tomorrow, since i'm scheduled to sell the "unlocked" phone tomorrow for $350!
    Seeing as some ppl have ordered the unlock at 5PM their time, so as early as 2PM PST, and have gotten the unlock already, we should be getting our's soon. Will be happy if I wake up to it tomorrow, but I really can't do anything until my micro SIM comes.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sure she would. What makes you think otherwise? You can activate a phone with or without an unlock and on any iOS - including iOS6. You've gotten bad information my friend. :-(
    Honestly it's not that hard to understand.

Her phone is currently locked to AT&T. She has iOS 5.1.1. She jailbreaks her phone and then unlocks it to use on Tmobile(NOT factory unlock just a plain old software unlock like ultrasn0w that lasts as long as you have it jailbroken).

So she wants the latest iOS 6.0 which is coming out soon. But if she upgrades to it she wont be able to use her Tmobile sim card that will only work if her phone is unlocked (which currently needs a jailbreak to do so but there is no jailbreak available at the moment).

So they go ahead and buy from an eBay seller to factory unlock their iPhone. So now it doesn't matter if it is jailbroken or not, the phone stays unlocked forever. So they can upgrade to iOS 6.0 and still use their Tmobile sim card without needing to jailbreak their iPhones.

Got it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monkeydodo3 View Post
    Seeing as some ppl have ordered the unlock at 5PM their time, so as early as 2PM PST, and have gotten the unlock already, we should be getting our's soon. Will be happy if I wake up to it tomorrow, but I really can't do anything until my micro SIM comes.
    just emailed them and they replied saying give them 1-2 hours to unlock my phone. I asked for it to be unlocked asap so i could possibly
    sell it today, just letting you know!

***just got the code! Exactly 2 hrs later
    Last edited by rivryan; 09-17-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    Honestly it's not that hard to understand.

Her phone is currently locked to AT&T. She has iOS 5.1.1. She jailbreaks her phone and then unlocks it to use on Tmobile(NOT factory unlock just a plain old software unlock like ultrasn0w that lasts as long as you have it jailbroken).

So she wants the latest iOS 6.0 which is coming out soon. But if she upgrades to it she wont be able to use her Tmobile sim card that will only work if her phone is unlocked (which currently needs a jailbreak to do so but there is no jailbreak available at the moment).

So they go ahead and buy from an eBay seller to factory unlock their iPhone. So now it doesn't matter if it is jailbroken or not, the phone stays unlocked forever. So they can upgrade to iOS 6.0 and still use their Tmobile sim card without needing to jailbreak their iPhones.

Got it?
    But that's something entirely different than he originally said. I never read a single word about an ultrasn0w unlock. He kept referring to his wife's upgrade to 6 as being dependent upon unlock or not. That made no sense. It does now that you explained that his situation was a Gevey unlock or ultrasn0w/hactivate in nature. It would just never occur to me that people would rely on those software unlocks anymore since the advent of full unlocking which has been around for quite some time now.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,189 Times in 6,972 Posts

Well, official unlocks have only been around since April for AT&T. A lot of people still rely on gevey sims or ultrasnow. Especially those of us not in the US who can't get official unlocks for some carriers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Well, official unlocks have only been around since April for AT&T. A lot of people still rely on gevey sims or ultrasnow. Especially those of us not in the US who can't get official unlocks for some carriers.
    Understood. Admittedly I am still new to the world of unlocking. But even BlkCadi had difficulty understanding what the poster wanted. And she has loads of experience. Did you know what he meant when talking about needing to unlock his wife's phone before he could upgrade to iOS6?

Thanks

Understood. Admittedly I am still new to the world of unlocking. But even BlkCadi had difficulty understanding what the poster wanted. And she has loads of experience. Did you know what he meant when talking about needing to unlock his wife's phone before he could upgrade to iOS6?
    He was a bit confusing in how he worded it and especially his second post after the first so I definitely see where the confusion came from. But ya, I see what he was trying to say. Without the official unlock he couldn't update to 6.0, so I would assume he was using ultrasnow or a gevey sim before. Tbh I never saw his first posts though, I read it just now lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    He was a bit confusing in how he worded it and especially his second post after the first so I definitely see where the confusion came from. But ya, I see what he was trying to say. Without the official unlock he couldn't update to 6.0, so I would assume he was using ultrasnow or a gevey sim before. Tbh I never saw his first posts though, I read it just now lol
    okay.. So we can all be educated -
    1) a software unlock (Gevey, Ultrasn0w, etc) is only possible when jailbroken. Since an update to another iOS version erases a jailbreak it will also erase a software unlock and thereby render someone's non-ATT GSM Sim chip useless in that particular phone until unlocked again. Right?

2)Factory unlocks, offered by a contract provider (AT&T, Verizon, etc) or these eBay 3rd party unlocking services (UnlockFusion, etc), are permanent and stay in place beyond any iOS updates.

Do I get it?
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 09-17-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks

1) A) a software unlock (Ultrasn0w) is only possible when jailbroken. Since an update to another iOS version erases a jailbreak it will also erase a software unlock and thereby render someone's non-ATT GSM Sim chip useless in that particular phone until unlocked again, if possible, as updating also updates the baseband which can render ultrasnow useless even with a jailbreak.

B) A hardware unlock (gevey sim) is possible without a jailbreak (except for CDMA iPhone 4S where a gevey sim needs a jailbreak since a extra package must be installed for it to work) but updating can update the baseband which the gevey sim may not be able to unlock

2)Factory unlocks, offered by a contract provider (AT&T, Verizon, etc) or these eBay 3rd party unlocking services (UnlockFusion, etc), are permanent and stay in place beyond any iOS updates.

Do I get it?
    Fixed

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rivryan View Post
    just emailed them and they replied saying give them 1-2 hours to unlock my phone. I asked for it to be unlocked asap so i could possibly
    sell it today, just letting you know!

***just got the code! Exactly 2 hrs later
    Did you tell them they need it ASAP? I might just email them cause I'm not unlocked yet.

EDIT: OK I just got the unlock email 20 minutes ago. S-url.ro still says that it is locked, but I'll try to deactivate it and reconnect to iTunes when I get home from school. I will update then.
    Last edited by monkeydodo3; 09-17-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks

1) a software unlock (Gevey, Ultrasn0w, etc) is only possible when jailbroken. Since an update to another iOS version erases a jailbreak it will also erase a software unlock and thereby render someone's non-ATT GSM Sim chip useless in that particular phone until unlocked again. Right?

Do I get it?
    You got it. Although the Gevey may work on non-jailbroken devises, as you may have an issue with imputing APN settings for MMS/SMS

+ Reply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast