+ Reply
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: UNLOCK 'In-Contract/Out of Contract' iPhones (3G, 3GS, 4, 4S) without Restoring!!!

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My iPhone 4 is originally locked to AT&T, but I unlocked it to a Portuguese network using the SAM method when it was working. I want to unlock by this
    fcp
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My iPhone 4 is originally locked to AT&T, but I unlocked it to a Portuguese network using the SAM method when it was working. I want to unlock by this method so I can use any network. Since my phone is now activated with SAM method, will there be any problem when I get your unlock code and plug it in iTunes? What will I have to do?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 778 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fcp View Post
    My iPhone 4 is originally locked to AT&T, but I unlocked it to a Portuguese network using the SAM method when it was working. I want to unlock by this method so I can use any network. Since my phone is now activated with SAM method, will there be any problem when I get your unlock code and plug it in iTunes? What will I have to do?

Thanks in advance
    If its unlocked then its unlocked. SAM is just a deactivating tool to be used in place of having to Restore your phone

fcp
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So if I want I can proceed to unlocking it in ebay with no worries?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,786 Times in 6,879 Posts

Yes, you can. After you get the email that it is unlocked you would simply deactivate with SAM. Then you can remove SAM altogether. Reboot and you should be at the activation screen where you can then activate like a normal officially unlocked iPhone.

Thanks

I'm confused, though. You said it was already unlocked from AT&T. Therefore, you don't need to unlock it again.

If you we're able to use it w/ a Portuguese cell network, then the phone was and still is, unlocked. Just because you used a new network doesn't mean it is now locked to that new network. AT&T was the original carrier so once its unlocked from them, you can use any GSM carrier whenever u want! Hopefully I made sense! LOL!
    Last edited by thazsar; 11-08-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,786 Times in 6,879 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I'm confused, though. You said it was already unlocked from AT&T. Therefore, you don't need to unlock it again.

If you we're able to use it w/ a Portuguese cell network, then the phone was and still is, unlocked.
    He said he unlocked it using the SAM method back when that was available, meaning it only unlocks for the one SIM card he did it with. He wants to get it fully unlocked.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Many thanks to thazsar, NewdestinyX and various mods for all your input in this thread. Just a quick thought that might be related to thazsar's unlock issue with unlock_fusion...

Once your IMEI hits Apple's database (through whatever means) and gets passed to iTunes to unlock the phone, that initial unlock would remain until such point as one either 1) deactivated the phone via redsn0w or SAM, or 2) updated or restored the iOS version. Only at that one particular point in time are you in need of Apple's servers sending back that happy message to iTunes about you being unlocked. So if those changes to Apple's databases could be reversed, it's possible that upon a user doing either 1) or 2) at some point in the future, the phone might re-lock. I saw comments in this thread that said IMEI web sites were reporting phones as locked, but not to worry, because the phone was still working with a T-Mobile SIM. It'd be interesting to know if those websites were really incorrect, or whether that phone would, in fact, re-lock after another restore/update? Thoughts?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Many thanks to thazsar, NewdestinyX and various mods for all your input in this thread. Just a quick thought that might be related to thazsar's unlock issue with unlock_fusion...

Once your IMEI hits Apple's database (through whatever means) and gets passed to iTunes to unlock the phone, that initial unlock would remain until such point as one either 1) deactivated the phone via redsn0w or SAM, or 2) updated or restored the iOS version. Only at that one particular point in time are you in need of Apple's servers sending back that happy message to iTunes about you being unlocked. So if those changes to Apple's databases could be reversed, it's possible that upon a user doing either 1) or 2) at some point in the future, the phone might re-lock. I saw comments in this thread that said IMEI web sites were reporting phones as locked, but not to worry, because the phone was still working with a T-Mobile SIM. It'd be interesting to know if those websites were really incorrect, or whether that phone would, in fact, re-lock after another restore/update? Thoughts?
    Unfortunately, I had received the unlock message in iTunes and the various websites but continued using AT&T at the time (never pullled the AT&T SIM.) When I discovered the website showed i was locked again, i used @chronic's unlock and immediately put in a T-Mo SIM to verify. It worked! I left the T-Mo SIM in the phone to see if it maintained an unlocked status and it did, so I felt confident I could sell it.

Not sure if that answers ur question or not but that's my 'trial and error' story!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,448 Times in 4,291 Posts

Unfortunately, I had received the unlock message in iTunes and the various websites but continued using AT&T at the time (never pullled the AT&T SIM.) When I discovered the website showed i was locked again, i used @chronic's unlock and immediately put in a T-Mo SIM to verify. It worked! I left the T-Mo SIM in the phone to see if it maintained an unlocked status and it did, so I felt confident I could sell it.

Not sure if that answers ur question or not but that's my 'trial and error' story!
    For what it's worth - I have never removed my AT&T SIM to date and my phone still shows unlocked on all IMEI checker sites. There was something 'weird' and not usual about your case. It's very rare. Of the scores of unlock fusion cases I've followed here only 2 phones have had problems. Unlock fusion only guarantees 99.5%. So that's about right. :-)
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    if anyone needs help unlocking their phone let me know! Some of my customers who used SAM as an unlock source had trouble getting to the activation screen on the 4s. usually you should be able to pop in a tmobile sim and the activation screen should come up, however SAM was blocking this. Removal of SAM help cure their problem.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Good day everyone, im sorry if my question was already ask here. I recently purchased an iphone 4 from craigslist , and then purchased an unlock code from the website posted here. They sent me an email that my phone was unlocked just connect to itunes then restore and my phone will be fully unlocked. My problem is i dont have a valid sim card,will the tutorial on the first page will work or do i need a valid sim card inserted in my phone pls help me thank you in advanced..

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulakenyo View Post
    Good day everyone, im sorry if my question was already ask here. I recently purchased an iphone 4 from craigslist , and then purchased an unlock code from the website posted here. They sent me an email that my phone was unlocked just connect to itunes then restore and my phone will be fully unlocked. My problem is i dont have a valid sim card,will the tutorial on the first page will work or do i need a valid sim card inserted in my phone pls help me thank you in advanced..
    If you meant valid sim as in at&t then that is not needed. If it is unlocked then you may put in any sim.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yes sir valid at&t sim card but according to the email they sent me i need to restore the phone through itunes to make the unlock works but i dont have a valid at&t sim card. Can i still restore the phone without a valid sim card to make the unlock works? thank you.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    If its unlocked then you may put in any sim.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Great tread!!! I didn't wanna lose my jailbreak and finally got my 4S unlocked for Free since AT&T system checked me out as elegible for the unlock!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leletyM3 View Post
    Great tread!!! I didn't wanna lose my jailbreak and finally got my 4S unlocked for Free since AT&T system checked me out as elegible for the unlock!!
    Awesome! Ur one of the lucky ones!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

This info is derived from a thread started a few days ago...

One of MMI's very own Moderators tipped us off on an eBay seller that is providing a Certified UNLOCK for ANY & ALL iPhones (3G, 3GS, 4, 4S)...regardless if they are 'In-Contract" or "Out of Contract.'

You can also get an unlock from Jailbreak Developer @chronic!

BTW, unlocking your device increases it's resale value; so if your planning to upgrade to the newest iPhone, then this will help fund it!!!

A few people were involved in the collaboration of this tutorial:

-A Moderator
    -NewdestinyX (the written portion)
    -thazsar (the chronological pictures)

***I've edited some of NewDestinyXs info to match with the photos (identified by italics)

[I]-FIRST, purchase an unlock from:
    - eBay seller: seller:unlock_fusion (copy & paste the whole name)
    - @chronic
    - or any other reputable unlock service

From NewdestinyX:

This has ONLY been tested for GSM AT&T phones. NOT Verizon (CDMA). (although @chronic claims to be able to do Verizon phones)

***ONLY AT&T GSM-only phones.***

UPDATE REPORT!!
    Well good NEWS!! For any of you who've recently used the eBay unlock service for your IN CONTRACT iPhone 4S's.. and WANT TO KEEP your ABSINTHE jailbreak..

NO NEED TO RESTORE through iTunes after you receive the UNLOCK message received from the company.
    Attachment 611926Attachment 611927

-If you'd like to confirm your device is unlocked PRIOR to the steps below, you can check your IMEI status on this website: Free iPhone IMEI checker - iphoneox.com
    Attachment 611937

-Simply add the REPO: repo.bingner.com to Cydia's SOURCES.
    Attachment 611928

-Then install the package called SAM. *It will also add other files required by the developer*
    Attachment 611929Attachment 611930

-Once installed it will ask you to RELOAD SPRINGBOARD -- do so.. you'll have no choice...
    Attachment 611931

Assuming you've gotten your confirmation email from an eBAY unlock service or AT&T themselves -- next, they tell you to RESTORE in iTUNES - but DO NOT RESTORE in iTunes..

-Simply open SAM from your Springboard on your iPhone
    Attachment 611932

-Select Utilities
    Attachment 611933

-Then click on DE-ACTIVATE iPhone (clear push)
    Attachment 611934

*Do not hit ANY OTHER BUTTONS.. SAM will give you a confirmation message.
    Attachment 611935

-Then simply open iTunes -- and plug in your phone to your computer -- iTunes will access the AppleStore and you'll see the message:
    CONGRATULATIONS - YOUR PHONE IS NOW UNLOCKED!
    Attachment 611936

Your jailbreak will be fully intact AND iTunes will auto-reactivate your phone!
    *This will be an invisible process to you; No screen messages and nothing on your phone will tell you that you were 'deactivated' for any time period.*

This is the ONLY method you can use to KEEP YOUR ABSINTHE jailbreak of an iPhone 4S... redsn0w jail breakers can also use this method to avoid Restoring your iDevice.

I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial and give us thanx if it helped you out!!!

Quick question, and I don't see it being asked, but is the last ITunes step Necessary*after the SAM step?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Neverminds!!! All worked. AWESOME THREAD!!! Oh how I love you guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,448 Times in 4,291 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kayboo16 View Post
    Quick question, and I don't see it being asked, but is the last ITunes step Necessary*after the SAM step?
    No. Just confirms for you that unlock is complete. That's all.

Grant
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

fcp
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Idk if this is the right topic for this but here I go, I unlocked my iPhone4 recently through one of the eBay unlocking services spoked of here. Now I'm considering upgrading to 6.0.1, so my question is, it is wiser to keep upgrading using a CFW preventing baseband upgrade or just start upgrading through iTunes?

Thnx in advance