Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4s ATT and Gevey Unlock.

Default Iphone 4s ATT and Gevey Unlock.
    Hi guys,

A friend in Europe asked me to get them an iphone here in states because they are a lot cheaper so now i am on search to get the Iphone and get it unlocked.

I did some research but i am still not clear on some things so i thought i'll post here.

1. I was planing on going to apple store today and picking up an ATT Iphone 4S white 16GB. Question is do i have to activate it with ATT phone service to be able to use the Gevey unlock?

2. Because i am getting the ATT Iphone 4s, i assume this is GSM version? The reason i ask is i just want to make sure i get the right Gevey unlock chip.

3. My friend lives in Europe and i assume she should not have problem using this over there, as long as the phone provider has GSM network?

4. If i get the iPhone from Apple store today, will it be updated from factory to the most recent firmware? I think gevey works with 5.1.1 and up to modem firmware 4.10.01. And if it comes with latest modem firmware are there way to revert to previous modem firmware?

So that's about it, my plan was to walk in the store today and buy the phone and order the gevey card for the unlock, i just want to make sure its going to work.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Answers below

1. Yes, it has to be under contract if you are going for AT&T.. or you can go for Factory unlocked iPhone 4S 16GB for $649
    2. Yes, you can get a Gevey SIM to unlock this for $15
    3. Should not be a problem.. unless he is not upgrading to latest firmware(iOS 6)
    4. Yes it should be having 5.1.1

My advise is to for a factory unlocked phones... there are lots of selling in craiglist for under $500

Quote Originally Posted by haissk View Post
    Answers below

1. Yes, it has to be under contract if you are going for AT&T.. or you can go for Factory unlocked iPhone 4S 16GB for $649
    Thanks, one more queston...i have an iPhone from work that i use and its also ATT service...if i was to take the ATT sim card that came with my phone and put it in the new...would that activate the new phone and get it ready for gevey unlock?

I understand i can get the unlocked phone for 645, just trying to avoid paying extra bux if i can find a way to unlock it myself.

Thanks,
    Mike

yes, you can activate an AT&T iPhone with a Valid AT&T SIM