Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Major, major dilemma

Default Major, major dilemma
    Hello all, new to the website forums here. I've been on this site before, though. Just to see some guides, that's all.
    Anyways, I'm in quite a predicament... lol.. Honestly, I'm not sure if I should be putting this in this activation forum or the jailbreaking forum because it's kind of a problem with both lol.
    Here's how it is:
    Using Windows Vista, and iPhone 3GS: New bootrom, (Week 48 I believe) Baseband 6.15.00. It was jailbroken already on 4.1 with redsn0w. I don't use the iPhone as my actual phone, though. I don't have a SIM for it. Anyways, I wanted to upgrade to 5.1/5.1.1 or whatever with an untethered jailbreak. Thing is, I got it water damaged so my home button died on me before I ever wanted to upgrade to 5.1/5.1.1. I knew there was a way to get into DFU mode without a home button using red snow custom firmware restore on iTunes that forces DFU. Okay... so I did it. Got into DFU, then was able to get into PWND DFU. I used the untethered 5.1.1 software jailbreak thing to restore my 3GS with on iTunes. After I completed that, I completely forgot about getting Cydia and all that junk I guess... (don't ask, I don't know what I was thinking -__-). So... I unplugged my iPhone. Now? I'm stuck with an unactivated iPhone w/o Cydia that can't go into recovery/DFU mode because the home button is dead. I can't activate my phone by myself either. I've looked up all possible solutions. I tried to open up the phone to attempt to fix the home button/at least open it up to be able to make the phone "use" the home button so I could get into DFU. Yeah... I got one screw out, and the other screw decided to troll and become threaded so I can't screw it out. There goes that plan. If I just regularly plug in the iPhone into my computer, iTunes just tells me I need a SIM. Downloaded TinyUmbrella to get it into Recovery mode so iTunes would let me shift restore and I could just restore with force DFU IPSW. Nope. I either get Error 11 or 3194. I've tried the applelogo change to zip changing and also hex changing the LLB thingy. I've deleted the gs.apple.com stuff from my hosts file and that didn't help either. I've looked up everything I could to try and prevent that error or fix it. I have Saved SHSH's 4.1 and 5.1.1 on TinyUmbrella btw. I've seen different older versions of redsn0w that allow you to jailbreak without going into DFU I guess. But my phone has to be activated to do that...

Alright that's all I got. At least that's what I can remember. Is my phone screwed? Lol. Can anyone help please?

tl;dr, I can't go into DFU mode in any way possible, especially with my home button broken. And now I'm stuck with an unactivated iPhone 3GS on 5.1.1 & I want to jailbreak untethered to 5.1.1.

Edit: Saw some hope when I saw the absinthe 2.0.4 that would let me jailbreak w/o DFU. But of course, the phone has to be activated...
    Last edited by GottaLoveRice; 08-27-2012 at 09:19 PM.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

What firmware version were you trying to restore to? 3194 means you are trying to restore to a firmware that is no longer signed by Apple, these firmwares include 5.0.1 and 5.1, so you'll need to use a 5.1.1 IPSW if you aren't already using it.

As far as getting it activated, you can Hacktivate it in order to bypass the activation.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to H4CK3R For This Useful Post:

GottaLoveRice (08-29-2012)

Well, when I shift click restore, it says it will restore to iOS 5.1. If it doesn't say 5.1.1 that must be a problem I'm assuming, yes?
    I've downloaded the stock 5.1.1 firmware plenty times. I've made a ENTER_DFU firmware of the stock 5.1.1 using redsn0w, and when I would shift click restore, it would say it'll restore to iOS 5.1 and I get error 3194.
    I've also done both methods of force entering dfu by restoring with a slightly modified stock .ipsw file. Changing the 2 files inside the .ipsw file by zipping/unzipping/rezipping etc the apple logo and LLB file. Editing the LLB file.img3 with a hex editor, and also renaming the apple logo with the exact LLB file name and deleting the original LLB. Both zipped those back up and put the file extension from .zip back to .ipsw also. I've done both methods on 2 copies of stock 5.1.1. Both said error 3194 and said restore to iOS 5.1.
    I noticed I got the error 11 once or twice when I had the TSS server in TU running, but I'm not exactly sure. All I know is I've gotten error 11 the first 1 or 2 times & now all I get is 3194.

As for the hacktivation, don't I need to be jailbroken first? Or am I wrong?
    Edit: My 3GS is currently in 5.1.1. It's just unactivated and non jailbroken.
    Prior to the water damage it was already jailbroken on 4.1.
    Last edited by GottaLoveRice; 08-28-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks

You won't need to be jailbroken actually. Redsn0w does this.

I found a good tutorial that should help you: How To; Hacktivate 5.1.1 iPhone 3GS & 4 (Activate Without Sim) Step By Step! - YouTube

Thanks for the video, but I still can't get it haha. Simply because my home button is dead. So I can't get into DFU mode with holding power and home and that whole process. And if you didn't completely read my whole first post my other attempts to get into DFU mode didn't turn out so well either..haha.
    Tough, isn't it? ~_~

Thanks

Yah, not having a home button can be really frustrating, especially since Redsn0w requires it -_-

But you can get in to DFU mode actually, even though your home button is broken. Just make sure you have the very latest version of Redsn0w and then you can go to Extras > Even More > DFU IPSW and then follow Redsn0w's onscreen instructions.

I've used an ENTER_DFU ipsw made from stock 5.1.1 firmware before. Since my only way into recovery mode is through TinyUmbrella, I've used shift click restore on the ENTER_DFU ipsw that redsn0w has made for me before. I just get the same errors. Now that you told me the problem about error 3194, I'm kind of lost as to why I still get that error with 5.1.1 if it's still being signed..

Thanks

3194 is such an evil error :/

I think you should try this on another computer, this isn't right

10. The Following User Says Thank You to H4CK3R For This Useful Post:

GottaLoveRice (08-29-2012)

Indeed lol.
    Alright. Something with a fresh iTunes? Whenever I can do that, I'll get back to you on that. Thanks haha.

Thanks

Good luck, hopefully it'll work for once lol.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

In TU, worth checking under advanced & just making sure "set hosts" is unticked.

It is unticked, and has been :P
    It's greyed out for me so I can't even touch it actually. Lol

I still have yet to try it on another computer. I haven't had a chance to do it yet with school.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I wonder if the home button recalibration trick might work?
    How to Fix Your iPhone's Unresponsive Home Button

It worked initially for a week or two right after the water damage and I let it sit in rice for 2 days, but now it's just dead completely lol. Doesn't work anymore..

Thanks

Spray home button with WD40

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DC_Dave For This Useful Post:

GottaLoveRice (08-31-2012)

Inside the dock connector or literally on the home button itself? Or do you mean opening it up?
    And I just tried the restore on a different computer. Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable. I still received error 3194 >_>

Thanks

Hi, it's more accurate if you open it up, but if you hold the phone vertically and spray the top of the home button with a small amount of WD40, it should run down inside. Keep tapping the home button while you do it and then recalibrate.
    It's a while since I last restored, but if you get an itunes error, check your host file has no apple entry and try Redsnow "recovery fix" afterwards.

Alright, but first I need to get my hands on some of that because I doubt I have some since I'm only a teenager.. haha.
    Yeah, I've checked countless times to remove any apple entries from the host file and rebooting comp, etc. I even disabled firewall some of the times for it, but I still got the error... >_>
    Oh recovery fix? What exactly does that option do in Redsn0w? Does it kick the iPhone out of recovery or will it keep it there? My only way of recovery mode is through TU.

Thanks

Recovery fix followed by just boot gets you up and running after a restore if you have an iTunes error.
    This guide is quite good
    RedSn0w Jailbreak Guide

I saw the video, and it won't help my case at all unfortunately. It requires DFU mode, doesn't it? And right now I have no way to get into DFU mode at all. No home button to do it the right way, and all the modified IPSWs to iTunes shift restore to all give me errors. Man, this is frustrating -_-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast