+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Getting AT&T iPhone 4/4S factory unlocked from elsewehere (except AT&T directly)

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am planning to buy either an iPhone 4 or 4S (not really keen on next iPhone for now). I figured out that factory unlocked iPhone 4/4S go for substantially
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Default Getting AT&T iPhone 4/4S factory unlocked from elsewehere (except AT&T directly)
    I am planning to buy either an iPhone 4 or 4S (not really keen on next iPhone for now). I figured out that factory unlocked iPhone 4/4S go for substantially higher price (used) on the usual websites like craigslist / ebay etc while the AT&T locked ones are lower.
    Now i want the iPhone to be factory unlocked before i buy or have to get it unlocked after i buy a locked one as i intend to use it outside the USA.
    I am not an AT&T customer and never was so i am pretty sure that if i buy a iPhone4/4S from ebay etc and tell AT&T to unlock, they will not entertain me.
    But i do find several listings on ebay and craigslist where people offer getting permanent unlock for the iPhone 4/4S for 15$ and around.

How legitimate these listings are and do they work ? Can i buy a used AT&T iPhone 4/4S and use these services from ebay / craigslist etc to get a permanent unlock, thus saving good amount of money vis-a-vis buying a factory unlocked iPhone 4/4S ?

Please tell me if what i am planning to do is feasible ? I do not want to end up with a locked phone which i cannot use.

I am more interested in the iPhone 4S.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,729 Times in 5,975 Posts

There are so many unlock companies, most all are legit. I suggest making payment with PayPal so you are protected. I have used eBay unlockers for over 20 phones, as cheap as $18.25.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

raksrules (08-27-2012)

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Unless you know that the seller is trusted and has good reviews, I would honestly not try them. There are way too many scammers out there that could just claim to unlock iPhones, but lie about it. It's just not worth the risk in my opinion.

officialiphoneunlock.co.uk is trusted around here, so I reccomend you try them. They are 100% legit and the moderators have tried them.

EDIT: Bo would you mind telling us the user so I could reference it for later?
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    There are so many unlock companies, most all are legit. I suggest making payment with PayPal so you are protected. I have used eBay unlockers for over 20 phones, as cheap as $18.25.
    Would appreciate a PM with links of ebay listings you have used and found legit ?
    I might get a locked 4S then (whenever i buy) and get it unlocked.

Another question, might be dumb but does it matter if the iOS version on the iPhone 4S i may buy is iOS 5.1.1 or iOS 6 ?
    Asking because i plan to buy the iPhone after the new one is launched and since iOS 6 will also be launched, i am sure many people will update the iOS version in their iPhones as well.
    Just want to be sure.
    Last edited by raksrules; 08-27-2012 at 12:25 PM.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
    Would appreciate a PM with links of ebay listings you have used and found legit ?
    I might get a locked 4S then (whenever i buy) and get it unlocked.

Another question, might be dumb but does it matter if the iOS version on the iPhone 4S i may buy is iOS 5.1.1 or iOS 6 ?
    Asking because i plan to buy the iPhone after the new one is launched and since iOS 6 will also be launched, i am sure many people will update the iOS version in their iPhones as well.
    Just want to be sure.
    Works fine, firmware won't matter.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to H4CK3R For This Useful Post:

raksrules (08-27-2012)

Thanks

For everyone's information.

AT&T USA any model iPhone factory unlocking services can be successfully done for as little as 11.00 GBP.

These are genuine sellers on eBay etc..look out for the listings right at the top.This suggests that the sellers has frequent purchases on a daily basis and considering the super quick turnaround time for this service,it will mean that if the service was not genuine than someone would of reported the seller very quickly and eBay would most likely removed the listing.

Finally you should check the sellers feedback profile and look out for patterns of positive feedbacks being left from buyers with successful unlocks daily or up-to 3 weeks behind. This will further suggest that the seller is genuine.

WHY pay "officialiphoneunlock.co.uk" 44.99 when you can get a third cheaper elsewhere with a small bit of common research.

Ironic thing that most people would not even know about is that almost all of the sellers providing the iPhone factory unlocking services use the same kind of source supplier one way or another.