+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [Noob] Questions About Unlocking 4s on Verizon

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm totally new to unlocking phones. Jailbreaking I'm familiar with, but never worried about unlocking the phone until recently. I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default [Noob] Questions About Unlocking 4s on Verizon
    Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm totally new to unlocking phones.
    Jailbreaking I'm familiar with, but never worried about unlocking the phone until recently.

I have a friend that has an iPhone 4s currently locked to Verizon's service.
    It's currently on FW 5.1.1, and it's baseband is 2.0.12.

I know the Gevey Ultra Sim Card is the only way to unlock it, from what I found.
    On their own site, it says that if you're on the FW/Baseband that I'm on, SMS messages will not work properly, but everything else on the phone will.

I was wondering if their was a fix for this, either through cydia, or something?
    We're looking to put the phone on Sprint, or AT&T, but most likely Sprint.

I've seen a video on You Tube that shows how to fix that problem if you're using the phone on T-Mobile, so it got me wondering if there's a same fix out there for Sprint, or AT&T?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't know if this works on a CDMA 4S, but on most jailbroken iPhones if you install TetherMe in Cydia you get access to the cellular data network settings and can then enter the proper MMS APN. There are tons of guides on this so it may be worth doing a little bit of googling about. Like I said, I don't know if this works in your scenario, but it's something to start with.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oJohn22 View Post
    Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm totally new to unlocking phones.
    Jailbreaking I'm familiar with, but never worried about unlocking the phone until recently.

I have a friend that has an iPhone 4s currently locked to Verizon's service.
    It's currently on FW 5.1.1, and it's baseband is 2.0.12.

I know the Gevey Ultra Sim Card is the only way to unlock it, from what I found.
    On their own site, it says that if you're on the FW/Baseband that I'm on, SMS messages will not work properly, but everything else on the phone will.

I was wondering if their was a fix for this, either through cydia, or something?
    We're looking to put the phone on Sprint, or AT&T, but most likely Sprint.

I've seen a video on You Tube that shows how to fix that problem if you're using the phone on T-Mobile, so it got me wondering if there's a same fix out there for Sprint, or AT&T?
    That is incorrect. The Gevey Ultra S is the only one that can do this for a 4S.

As far as fixing the SMS, you can try this tutorial and see if it works. Temp FIX for Message Send Failure on iPhone 4s 5.1 Gevey
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for linking that fix! I'll definitely try it out.
    One other question, would the Gevey Ultra S work if I'm trying to unlock the 4s from Verizon's service to Sprint's?
    If so, what do I need to get after I unlock the phone, for it to work under Sprint's network?

Thanks

Yes, it would. You'd just need to unlock it and then activate it with a Verizon SIM. After it's activated, you can just pop in the Sprint SIM and you'll be good to go.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Sprint iPhones don't use SIM cards?
    If so,do I just get a Micro SIM card for Sprint's network?

Also, can the SIM card be new, as in, it's not currently activated on any phone/number or service?
    If so, would the same go for the Verizon SIM card as well?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sprint and Verizon phones are on a CMDA Carrier, which means they do not use a Sim Card.

I have my Verizon iPhone 4 running on MetroPCS. Basically what you need to do is find someone that works for the carrier that you can get to add the ENS of the phone into their system.

Then tehre are tools online that you can use to activate data etc.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@eddied316
    By ENS, did you mean ESN/IMEI number?
    If so, that's not a problem. I would place the ESN/IMEI number of the iPhone on the Sprint account, after unlocking the iPhone?

Is there an easier, or more targeted tutorial for me, where it shows how to exactly unlock a Verizon iPhone 4s, and put it on Sprint's network using the Gevey Ultra s?

If it helps, let me show you guys the video I'm trying to follow.
    UNLOCK Verizon iPhone 4s (iOS 5.1.1, baseband 2.0.12) 100% Works Tutorial - YouTube

Of course, the part where he says to insert the SIM card of the carrier you're trying to put the unlocked iPhone on throws me off.
    Since Verizon, or Sprint don't use them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

When unlocking the devices with the Gevey, it's unlocking for GSM use. You unlock the Verizon iPhone 4S even though it is a CDMA device technically, it can also use SIM cards when unlocked. This does not mean that you can have it on Sprint by that method. So if you get the Gevey you can only use it with AT&T or T-Mobile or any other carriers that use SIMs.

You technically would need to "flash" a CDMA device to the other CDMA carrier you want to use. This then requires people with deeper connections to do so that you typically cannot do yourself.

Green Apple
    Thanks

@oJohn22 - Sorry about that- was a typo. I DID mean ESN.

As far as a tutorial - Not exactly sure. I know there are some people on YouTube with some, BUT they are using Paid Software. ($150) You can also try Craigslist and see if someone in your area can do it. Sometimes people that work at Authorized dealers can do this kind of thing. For a price of course.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alright, thanks so much for the help and clarification guys!

I plan on unlocking the phone and putting it on AT&T, then.

Since I'm doing that, which video is better to follow

1.) UNLOCK Verizon iPhone 4s (iOS 5.1.1, baseband 2.0.12) 100% Works Tutorial - YouTube ?
    or
    2.) Unlock Your iPhone 4S Without Jailbreaking Using the Gevey Ultra S - YouTube ?

Thanks

It doesn't really matter, both do the same thing.

But I would just go with the Verizon one.