+ Reply
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Bypass activation without installing cydia?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm getting ready to sell my 3GS. I need to perform the "Erase all Contents and Settings"; however, I cannot do that with the iPhone jailbroken because as you all
...
  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Bypass activation without installing cydia?
    I'm getting ready to sell my 3GS. I need to perform the "Erase all Contents and Settings"; however, I cannot do that with the iPhone jailbroken because as you all probably well know that results in an endless loop. So I need to bypass the activation so I can erase all contents and settings without jailbreaking. Thanks for any help.

    EDIT: The 911 at activation trick doesn't work because it gives a "Call Failed" error message.

  2. #2
    H4CK3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 264 Times in 253 Posts

    You can just hacktivate it via Redsn0w.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    You can just hacktivate it via Redsn0w.
    Ok I have redsn0w 0.9.14b2. Is it an option in the extras menu because I don't see it?

  4. #4
    H4CK3R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Posts
    5,831
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 264 Times in 253 Posts

    No you have to create a custom IPSW and within the IPSW customization options you'll see an option to hacktivate, check it off.

    And since you don't want Cydia just make sure "Install Cydia" is unchecked.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

  5. #5
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    No you have to create a custom IPSW and within the IPSW customization options you'll see an option to hacktivate, check it off.

    And since you don't want Cydia just make sure "Install Cydia" is unchecked.
    Sorry to be so clueless but I created a custom IPSW and it had the name beginning with NO_BB_OLDROM since I have a 37th week of 2009 3GS.
    I loaded it and it had no option to hacktivate. What should I do?

  6. #6
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,342
    Thanks
    6,714
    Thanked 15,019 Times in 6,925 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    No you have to create a custom IPSW and within the IPSW customization options you'll see an option to hacktivate, check it off.

    And since you don't want Cydia just make sure "Install Cydia" is unchecked.
    redsnow doesnt give those options. Only snowbreeze and pwnage tool do.

    Quote Originally Posted by redrims999 View Post
    Sorry to be so clueless but I created a custom IPSW and it had the name beginning with NO_BB_OLDROM since I have a 37th week of 2009 3GS.
    I loaded it and it had no option to hacktivate. What should I do?
    Redsnow creates a custom firmware with no baseband in it. Cydia is not installed with this firmware. You can use redsnow to enter pwned DFU then restore to that no baseband firmware in itunes. Once restored either use a sim form the carrier the phone is locked to to activate it or run redsnow again, choose jailbreak and when you get to the options part uncheck cydia. Redsnow will hactivate the phone for you but will not install cydia by doing this.

  7. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    redsnow doesnt give those options. Only snowbreeze and pwnage tool do.



    Redsnow creates a custom firmware with no baseband in it. Cydia is not installed with this firmware. You can use redsnow to enter pwned DFU then restore to that no baseband firmware in itunes. Once restored either use a sim form the carrier the phone is locked to to activate it or run redsnow again, choose jailbreak and when you get to the options part uncheck cydia. Redsnow will hactivate the phone for you but will not install cydia by doing this.
    Ok, I did everything up till the activation (pwned and restored the custom ipsw in itunes). But when I go to jailbreak it tells me I need to activate first. Do I need to select an IPSW in redsn0w before I press jailbreak? If so which one? Thanks!

  8. #8
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,342
    Thanks
    6,714
    Thanked 15,019 Times in 6,925 Posts

    No, just turn the phone off first. Then click jailbreak. If the phone is on when choosing jailbreak it will try to use the absinthe method of jail breaking instead of the ramdisk method. Hactivating requires the ramdisk method to be used.

    Or you can go into the advanced settings of redsnow and set it to prefer the ramdisk method. But that isn't really needed. Just turning the phone off will get redsnow to use that way.

    Just to get some additional info was this phone unlocked? And If so with what method (ultrasnow etc)?
    Do you not have a sim from the carrier it is Locked to?

  9. #9
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    No, just turn the phone off first. Then click jailbreak. If the phone is on when choosing jailbreak it will try to use the absinthe method of jail breaking instead of the ramdisk method. Hactivating requires the ramdisk method to be used.

    Or you can go into the advanced settings of redsnow and set it to prefer the ramdisk method. But that isn't really needed. Just turning the phone off will get redsnow to use that way.

    Just to get some additional info was this phone unlocked? And If so with what method (ultrasnow etc)?
    Do you not have a sim from the carrier it is Locked to?
    This phone was unlocked. However I can also downgrade the baseband so I can restore it in iTunes without a hitch and be back to the 5.16.05 and 5.1.1 firmware. I used redsn0w. I do not have a sim that it was locked to.

  10. #10
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by redrims999 View Post
    This phone was unlocked. However I can also downgrade the baseband so I can restore it in iTunes without a hitch and be back to the 5.16.05 and 5.1.1 firmware. I used redsn0w. I do not have a sim that it was locked to.
    I managed to fix everything. Thanks for your help guys!

  11. #11
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,342
    Thanks
    6,714
    Thanked 15,019 Times in 6,925 Posts

    Glad to hear it

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts