Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocking iPhone 4S -- need assistance

Dear all,

Having purchased an iPhone 4S several months ago, I had no idea that unlocking it would be such a tedious process. Owing to the absence of roaming with my current operator, I am actually unable to utilise the telecommunicational qualities of my iPhone outside of the UK, the country in which I initially purchased and activated it. Anyways, veering back to my original query, I would like to enquire about whether or not it would be possible to activate my phone without the implementation of devices similar to the Gevey Ultra S SIM Card.

The reason that I would like to avoid the above-mentioned procedure is not because I am a tight-fisted person; in fact, I have already purchased an Ultra S kit for the iPhone 4S that uses a GSM provider. Unfortunately, my success was rather limited. Surprisingly, two kits turned up in my package (I don't know whether this is the standard amount or simply my seller being nice), yet my initial spout of joy was short-lived. The first SIM Card stubbornly refused to fit inside my phone; it just wouldn't pop inside the SIM Card niche in the smooth fashion that the Apple-manufactured tray does. "Well, the next one ought to work," I reasoned to myself. Fortunately, I was indeed luckier with the other Gevey tool as it perfectly went inside my phone, albeit not as silkily as the original tray. However, I was heavily disappointed by the outcome because it was as if I had used the bona fide tray, ie. the Gevey 'coding/programming/whatever' had absolutely no effect. The 'activation' menu was brought up and I was shortly reminded that I need to insert the SIM Card of the carrier to whom my iPhone is locked if I wish to activate it, which brings me back to my qualm...

What other methods are there of getting an iPhone 4S unlocked? It is currently running firmware 5.1.1, its baseband is 2.0.12 and it is jailbroken. Having viewed a video on Youtube, I attempted the 'SAM method' several times, with all of my efforts resulting in failure. I have been persistently searching for a solution as finding shacks that can do the unlocking is quite bothersome and their services are usually overpriced. Also, if anyone has any advice regarding my frustration with the Gevey Ultra S SIM Card, that would be highly appreciated; I have only discarded the one that wouldn't go inside my phone. Goodness, I miss the days of Ultrasn0w so badly...

I have just checked and yes, Cydia has been fetching my SHSH blobs. Would downgrading to 5.1 and getting a 1.0.XX firmware allow for the Gevey SIM Card to work?
    Last edited by jimmy_russell; 08-01-2012 at 03:49 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

iPhones purchased from the uk can usually be unlocked once they are over 3 months old. Orange charge 20 while O2 are free.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Downgrading the firmware version will not downgrade the baseband. Where did you buy the Gevey SIMs from? If they are counterfeit, I would suggest contacting your seller and asking for a refund considering they didn't work and if they are selling counterfeit Gevey SIMs, that's false advertisement.

Really? I'm hearing that for the first time... Is that opportunity available to those that are on contracts? I currently have a contract with Orange, if that helps. However, I'm not looking to set up roaming; I want to be able to fully unlock it.

Yes, I know but since my SHSH Blobs have been backed up by Cydia, I have read that I can use TinyUmbrella to lower my baseband. I have actually tried this method already and it did in fact lower my baseband but I forgot about using the Gevey Card then due to my aggravation being at a peak. Honestly speaking, the cards came inside their original packaging, making them seem genuine to me... Is the Gevey SIM Card supposed to work with baseband 2.0.12? If so, then something's not right. Also, I'm finding them extremely fragile; the chip component went away as soon as I touched the Gevey Device, do you think that might be the problem? I have put it back into place but it still holds quite poorly.
    Last edited by jimmy_russell; 08-01-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_russell View Post
    Really? I'm hearing that for the first time... Is that opportunity available to those that are on contracts? I currently have a contract with Orange, if that helps. However, I'm not looking to set up roaming; I want to be able to fully unlock it.

Yes, I know but since my SHSH Blobs have been backed up by Cydia, I have read that I can use TinyUmbrella to lower my baseband. I have actually tried this method already and it did in fact lower my baseband but I forgot about using the Gevey Card then due to my aggravation being at a peak. Honestly speaking, the cards came inside their original packaging, making them seem genuine to me... Is the Gevey SIM Card supposed to work with baseband 2.0.12? If so, then something's not right. Also, I'm finding them extremely fragile; the chip component went away as soon as I touched the Gevey Device, do you think that might be the problem? I have put it back into place but it still holds quite poorly.
    Go to Gevey-3G.com and compare your packaging and your Gevey SIM. The only truly reliable site I know of that sells genuine Geveys is Applenberry.com. On eBay or anywhere else, it's unpredictable.

Edit: I'm going to retract my previous statements. I apologize. I was not aware the BBTickets method was already able to be utilized. Regardless, the Gevey Ultra S can work with all basebands of the iPhone 4S so whether it has been upgraded or downgraded, it should still work.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 08-01-2012 at 05:53 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

jimmy_russell (08-02-2012)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_russell View Post
    Really? I'm hearing that for the first time... Is that opportunity available to those that are on contracts? I currently have a contract with Orange.
    Yes, my daughters 4S was on a monthly contract with Orange. I rang customer services after 3 months and unlocked for 20.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DC_Dave For This Useful Post:

jimmy_russell (08-02-2012)

I just checked your link and having verified my Gevey SIM Card, I can say quite confidently that it's genuine. As for what concerns the packaging, I threw it away a long time ago but after I recalled what mine looked like from memory, I'd say that it was pretty much identical. Nevertheless, I still don't know why it doesn't work and honestly speaking, I probably won't be contacting the seller because I got the Gevery Device really cheaply from him and it's just not worth it (I'm currently in another country). Attached is a photograph of my Gevey SIM Card coming apart; do you think this might be the root of my troubles? I can still get it back in though as mentioned already. I'll still give downgrading my baseband a try, I suppose.

-2012-08-02.png

Wow, that's terrific news! Just reaffirm that this works, would any SIM Card at all be compatible with my iPhone if I were to use your method, or only those belonging to UK Service Providers? I just had a glance on their website and it seems as if my phone should be compatible; my only other question is do I need to be in the UK at the time that I decide to get my phone unlocked or could I be elsewhere and simply give them a ring over Skype? Thanks again!