+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock iphone4 with AT&T-Jailbreak 5.1.1 absinthe-win-2.0.4

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have an iPhone 4 been off contract with AT&T since June would like to unlock it (may sell it after the iPhone 5 comes out) what do I need
    Thanks

Default Unlock iphone4 with AT&T-Jailbreak 5.1.1 absinthe-win-2.0.4
    I have an iPhone 4 been off contract with AT&T since June would like to unlock it (may sell it after the iPhone 5 comes out) what do I need to do to save my jailbreak? I used absinthe-win-2.0.4 to jailbreak IOS version 5.1.1 .

thx for any feed back you can give>

Bestman50

EVO
    Thanks

what baseband is the iphone on?

Thanks

band with is 04.12.01 just want At&T to unlock it and keep jailbreak

bestman50

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bestman50 View Post
    band with is 04.12.01 just want At&T to unlock it and keep jailbreak

bestman50
    ATT can unlock a phone that is off their contract, but you have to be a current ATT customer to have them unlock it for you.

When they first came out with the ability to unlock your phones, you didnt need to be a current customer, just need to have a phone that was previously activated and used on an ATT line, but they since changed the policy.

However, since you were a previous customer, I would give them a call and see if they can unlock it for you, because with your current 04.12.01 baseband, you CANNOT unlock it any other way, besides calling ATT or contacting an online unlocking service, but they charge quite a bit

Thanks

OK thanks for the feed back, But will I have to rejailbreak my iphone after activation? I am still with AT&T just haven't renewed my contract waiting for the new iohone to launch.

Bestman50
    Last edited by bestman50; 08-01-2012 at 02:53 PM.

EVO
    Thanks

no, if is currently jailbroken you wont have to rejailbreak it again granted you dont restore your phone

when you call ATT and request an unlock, you will have to wait a couple days for an email from them with instructions on how to unlock the phone, and in the instructions, it will ask you to restore the phone to have it unlock, but it is not TRUE

once you receive "that" email that has the unlock instructions, it means your phone should be unlocked and you can just insert your other sim card in, and if it detects the signal, then you are done

Thanks

O THANKS so much for your help will give them a call.

bestman50

EVO
    Thanks

no problem bud!

please come back with your progress

Thanks

I called AT&T to unlock, they said I need to do a backup and restore to unlock it, won't that mess up my jailbreak? I'm going to try it. AT&T sez I have to restore my phone to unlock it. I'm going to try just backing it up and then restore will let you now if it works , hate to have to rejailbreak and install all over again.

bestman50

P.S. tried the backup and restore, didn't work looks like I will hve to do a factory restore unless you know of a different method to fix it.
    Last edited by bestman50; 08-01-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

You don't need to do a restore , use redsn0w or add this repo to cydia : repo.bingner.com and install SAM. Using the tool to deactivate your iphone then plug it into itunes and you should see the message > Congratulations your iphone is unlocked.

Thanks

Well, I don't know why that wouldn't have worked...I've done 2 and did a DFU mode restore on both and I got the congrats message that iPhone is unlocked...I thought u had to do a restore for it to work evo...otherwise I would have messed with mine to try and make it work without it...

Thanks

I downloaded SAM ran it opened iTunes did the reactivation. But when I go back to the link in my email from AT&T it said I need to do a full restore. So How can I tell if it's unlocked do not have any other sims cards here?
    also downloaded redsn0w the new version but didn't see any opps to de-activate it.
    thx for any feed back you can give

bestman50

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xboxbml View Post
    Well, I don't know why that wouldn't have worked...I've done 2 and did a DFU mode restore on both and I got the congrats message that iPhone is unlocked...I thought u had to do a restore for it to work evo...otherwise I would have messed with mine to try and make it work without it...
    you dont need to, at least in my experience I didnt, I had 2 unlocked.

One was an iphone 4, which I restored and got a congratz message, and another was a 3gs which once I received the unlock email instructions, I inserted another carrier's sim and opened itunes, itunes verified and I received a congratz unlock message.

Once you receive the unlock message, that meants ATT has already imei unlocked it on their server, and you really dont have to do anything else besides insert the new sim

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

After installing SAM, you go to SAM icon and choose deactivate iphone. Then plug iphone into itunes and you should see a message. I did the same thing using this method just to be sure they really unlock it before jumping into updating to latest bb.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bbrks's Avatar
    Thanks

Reading all this and I kind of get a bit confused. I mean, all you sad gentleman is right, but what I don't understand is, why he is so insisting on keeping old JB on the phone. Do the clean restore, refresh your phone, do fresh JB with Absinthe or Redsnow........just start from the scratch. It will be perfect for your iPhone.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    Reading all this and I kind of get a bit confused. I mean, all you sad gentleman is right, but what I don't understand is, why he is so insisting on keeping old JB on the phone. Do the clean restore, refresh your phone, do fresh JB with Absinthe or Redsnow........just start from the scratch. It will be perfect for your iPhone.
    what do you mean by sad?

Indeed it is the best way to start fresh by restoring, but if there's nothing wrong with someone's phone (does not crash, random boot, etc), why bother restoring?

Just insert the sim when ATT unlocks it on their side, and you're done

Some people have important data on their phones that they really do not want to restore as an option

Thanks

Strange...if u don't have to restore to get it to work, how come AT&T says that in their instructions?...a bit misleading if u ask me...

EVO
    Thanks

I'm not saying a restore does not have anything to do with the unlocking process, however my experience worked without the restore

It may not work for others.

The only purpose I see in restoration is to reactivate the phone