Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlock question

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Unlock question
    Hi, I recently purchased an iPhone from eBay which was supposed to be unlocked so that I can use it here in the UK. The problem is, although I believe an unlock was attempted, it seems it is not actually unlocked.

Now, I am happy to have a go at unlocking it myself, but as I believe an unlock has already been attempted, is it best that I restore the iPhone using iTunes before hand?

Basically, I just want to know if restoring the iPhone completely restores it to it's original state, so that it will be safe to unlock?

I hope this makes sense, thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

try and see which firmware u have first, and if u have the latest one I would just return the phone and say it wasn't unlock and claim it on ebay as a scam
     Think Different

just dont update to 1.1.1 whatever you do dont do it plug it in to itunes and make sure its 1.0.2 unless the person who sold it to you upgraded to 1.1.1 and then downgraded to 1,02 if thats the case you will have to wait

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The firmware is 1.0.2

When I put a 3 SIM card in it, it says invalid SIM. I then tried an O2 SIM card, this didn't come up with the 'invalid SIM' error, but says 'No Service' in the top left constantly.

I get the impression that the unlock process went slightly wrong.

would running a different unlock app ruin the phone you think or if restoring might help whats your take

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ok, I have just tried my brother's Pay As You Go O2 SIM card in the pone and that seems to work just fine, but my contract 3 SIM just comes up with a 'SIM failure' message and displays 'Invalid SIM' in the top left.

I am very confused as to why it won't accept my 3 SIM card. Any ideas?

Default 3 Sim generates sim failure error
    I have this same issue with my three sim card. The phone is unlocked and works fine on vodafone and an O2 sim but it seems there must be an actual physical difference with the three simcard, the contacts on the back do look different to the AT&T and O2 sim cards I have to hand now. Any ideas of if this could be made to work by getting a new three sim or are they all this design?

Network '3' simcards will only work in a 3G handset to my knowledge. And since the iPhone isn't 3G the sim will not work, there is nothing wrong with your unlocked iPhone.