Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3Gs year 09 wk 47

Default Iphone 3Gs year 09 wk 47
    Trying to unlock baseband 5.13.04 after upgrade to 6.15.0 and then downgrade using Redsn0w beta 2 in release 14. Have done several of these previously mostly without a glitch but was able to fix any glitches doing a restore and running the process again.

After following the same procedure with this phone finally installing Ultrasn0w then popping in the T-Mobile SIM, I still end up with no service. I was assigned a PIN when I purchased the SIM but apparently not needed unless one wishes to change the PIN or lock it.

I just can't seem to get the unlock to successfully to use on T-Mobile. I even attempted to apply the unlock after upgrading to 6.15.0 before downgrading. That did not work either so I downgraded BB to 5.13.04 and tried again. Is it possible that this phone is one of those that may be included in the old boot ROM that was used in units up through wk 45? Not sure how reliable the wk 45 cut-off actually is. Haven't tried the procedure using old boot rom since the jailbreak and up/down applied to the BB worked or at least reported no errors.

Please help Please,

as long as your device was manufactured in 2009, you are OK to install the ipad baseband

however that does not mean your device may not face issues when attempting to unlock it for use with another carrier.

there are many people still having this issue even with the redsn0w update

here's what I can suggest you do, although I cannot guarantee this method will work.

If you're not already on 05.13.04, downgrade to it, then restore to a stock 4.1 (this will update your baseband), then install the ipad baseband and cydia with redsn0w, then install ultrasn0w and test to see if the t-mobile sim receives a signal

if it doesnt receive a signal, uninstall mobile substrate and ultrasn0w, reboot the device and reinstall mobile substrate and ultrasn0w, then test the carrier signal again

EVO, thanks a million. Just one question, removing the mobile substrate, then re-installing Ultrasn0w, will indeed re-install mobile substrate, therefore, it would seem that a separate install of Ms is not necessary before installing Ultrasn0w.. Is that correct or did I miss a critical step that should not be skipped? Thanks so much!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by X242 View Post
    EVO, thanks a million. Just one question, removing the mobile substrate, then re-installing Ultrasn0w, will indeed re-install mobile substrate, therefore, it would seem that a separate install of Ms is not necessary before installing Ultrasn0w.. Is that correct or did I miss a critical step that should not be skipped? Thanks so much!!
    They can be installed jointly without issue under normal circumstances.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

X242 (07-25-2012)

It is "not" necessary to do a separate install, you can just reinstall mobile substrate and ultrasn0w, but I do a complete uninstall of both just to avoid it accessing a part of allocated memory that other programs may be accessing, which "could" cause the "No Service" issue

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

X242 (07-25-2012)

Default Attention EVO Odd Behaviour After Deleting Mobile Substrate
    I noticed that when I uninstalled MobileSubstrate, Ultrasn0w was also remove, but then I did not get the no service message. Instead I got the 1 bar of service to the phone that previously reported No Service. At this point, Ultrasn0w is obviously not installed, so I don't have an unlocked phone but that's fine since that is not necessary. I am still wondering why I only get one bar of service however. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I noticed that when I uninstalled MobileSubstrate, Ultrasn0w was also remove, but then I did not get the no service message. Instead I got the 1 bar of service to the phone that previously reported No Service. At this point, Ultrasn0w is obviously not installed, so I don't have an unlocked phone but that's fine since that is not necessary. I am still wondering why I only get one bar of service however. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    the 1 bar signal (with no carrier name present) is normal and occurs when the sim card inserted is not the one that is originally locked to the device

the "no service" usually occurs when the phone is unlocked, either via imei unlocked or software (like ultrasn0w), but the unlocked device is having difficulty recognizing the sim card

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

X242 (07-25-2012)

Thanks EVO, really appreciate the insight!! I had wondered about the root cause of difference between the two readings. Extremely helpful!!

Thanks so very much really appreciate the insight and sharing of experience!

Thanks for the tip, and sharing your experience!
    Last edited by X242; 07-25-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks EVO, really appreciate the insight!! I had wondered about the root cause of difference between the two readings. Extremely helpful!!

Thanks so very much really appreciate the insight and sharing of experience!

Thanks for the tip, and sharing your experience!
    not a problem bud,

if you have any more questions, feel free to post it here on the same thread