+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help, very confused

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys I bought an iPhone 4 from a friend of a friend which was supposed to be unlocked. When I received it I was able to navigate through the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Need help, very confused
    Hey guys

I bought an iPhone 4 from a friend of a friend which was supposed to be unlocked. When I received it I was able to navigate through the phone and I noticed that the old owner's settings were still there and some messages/apps so I decided to do a factory reset.

After factory reset I wasn't able to get past the emergency dial screen and both iTunes and the phone were saying that the sim card is not supported.

I've spent days reseraching this unlock and jailbreak stuff and I can't seem to get any straight forward answers because of all the scammers out there trying to make a quick bit of cash. I need to know: Can an iPhone 4 be unlocked to any network simpyl by using software? Or does it have to be one of those IMEI unlocks?

Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yea it could have had the first baseband ever for the iPhone 4 and been preserved but when u updated it u update the baseband. Or they could have used gevey sim and just not have given u the gevey. Best bet now if u updated to 5.1.1 is to call AT&T and see if they will unlock it. If the phone is older then 2 years they most Likely will do it. There is a few other things but the 2 years is the most important.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's a UK based one on Vodafone.

I just did a free IMEI check and it says that it is locked.

So is software unlocking not possible? I was under the impression that jailbreaking the phone also meant unlocking it to all networks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vlad06 View Post
    It's a UK based one on Vodafone.

I just did a free IMEI check and it says that it is locked.

So is software unlocking not possible? I was under the impression that jailbreaking the phone also meant unlocking it to all networks.
    Software unlocking is possible with older basebands (modem firmware under the general/about tab) however if you've updated it without saving that older baseband, then no, your out of luck. Jailbreaking & unlocking are two different things entirely, though in cases of software unlocks where possible, jailbreaking is required.

Your best bet is to get it IMEI unlocked as its UK based as these are some of the easiest about to get factory unlocked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks, I'm going to pay 50 for a factory unlock. Looks like it is the best way to do it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bbrks's Avatar
    Thanks

Share with us if it works, please. I am kind of suspicious about those factory unlocking ways.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    Share with us if it works, please. I am kind of suspicious about those factory unlocking ways.
    I've never had a problem with these.. But as I say, only with UK cellphones as the UK have no issues about unlocking regardless of whether your in contract or not & it's freely available.

EVO
    Thanks

technically its not "factory" unlocked, its more imei unlocked

factory unlocked = originally unlocked before shipment, sealed
    imei unlocked = unlocked by locked carrier after usage period

but who's keeping dibs....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    technically its not "factory" unlocked, its more imei unlocked

factory unlocked = originally unlocked before shipment, sealed
    imei unlocked = unlocked by locked carrier after usage period

but who's keeping dibs....
    I was waiting for some clever clogs to correct me Now I hate to smoulder your flame EVO but an imei unlock doesn't have to be unlocked by the locked carrier (atleast in general), you just have to know the MCC & MNC to unlock it, (& obviously the hardware/software to do so) & it doesn't have to be after a set period of time.. Well, not in most parts of Europe Difference is, from my understanding, Apple only allow requests from authorised parties though, unlike other manufactures.

Haha... Go on... Give me stick lol

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susty View Post
    I was waiting for some clever clogs to correct me Now I hate to smoulder your flame EVO but an imei unlock doesn't have to be unlocked by the locked carrier (atleast in general), you just have to know the MCC & MNC to unlock it, (& obviously the hardware/software to do so) & it doesn't have to be after a set period of time.. Well, not in most parts of Europe Difference is, from my understanding, Apple only allow requests from authorised parties though, unlike other manufactures.

Haha... Go on... Give me stick lol
    +1

flame died..

I forgot about those that do unlocking services.

Im glad someone corrected me!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    +1

flame died..

I forgot about those that do unlocking services.

Im glad someone corrected me!
    Lol However... You nailed me on the term factory unlocked lol i forgot to say that only phones (atleast in the UK) that are brought new & branded as "Sim free" are infact factory unlocked.

Cheers squire