Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone (original) SIM unlock

Default Iphone (original) SIM unlock
    I'm having a hard time understanding if my phone (originally with ATT) is SIM unlocked or not. Firstly my iPhone was inactive when I jailbreaked it (i have bought a new iPhone 4 and would like to pass this phone on to a family member). So I have cydia running on it now (upgraded to the latest version). The version of the software is 3.1.3 (7E18) and the modem is 04.05.05_G. When I try to put in another SIM in from ATT(from my other family member. unfortunately I don't have bother sim from another carrier) it gives the connect to iTunes screen. I'm afraid to do that of course.

Again my question is as I believe my statement above might be slightly confusing.

Is there a way to check if the phone (on the phone itself) is SIM / carrier unlocked before I go overseas?

Thank you

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbrks For This Useful Post:

jeanb (07-01-2012)

Wow the things machines know. So my next question is how do I unlock it?

yes it is.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,547 Times in 7,108 Posts

You are going to need redsnow 0.9.4 to jailbreak and unlock it then.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-...redsn0w-0.9.4/

iPhone already jailbroken and has Cydia on it. Should i still use redsnow 0.9.4?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,547 Times in 7,108 Posts

You have to restore and use redsnow to activate and unlock. Otherwise it will keep kicking back to activation when a different sim is inserted.

I suppose using SAM to hactivate and then boot neuter from cydia to unlock will allow you to do it without restoring. I just find it easier to restore and start from scratch.

Dear seniors and expertise

I have an iphone which was unlocked and working successfully with Gevey Sim Ultra, but recently i upgraded to iOS 5.1.1 and after the upgrade my iPhone is totally useless,The Phone now doesn’t work with any SIM card *stuck connect itune and The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported” *and also when i connect the *pc iTunes phone cannot be activated need to be *same *at&t sim carrier but i have not living out side of USA. *Even i cannot use to my mobile *like a only iPod *or app. Please any of u expert help me to out from this problem at least to use only ipod or app . Thanks*
    My iphone gsm (buid9B209).

Same problem with me also

There is no 9B209, I think you mean 9B208
    And I'm assuming you guys have an iPhone 4.

If you updated from iTunes instead of using a custom firmware, you have updated your baseband to 04.12.01, which means you cannot use a Gevey Sim because that baseband is not updated

You can use redsn0w to hactivate and bypass the activation which will allow you to use it as an iPod