+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS - not sure if i can unlock

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello dear friends, I have an iPhone 3GS which is locked to AT&T. I am still under contract and hence cannot get it unocked from AT&T. My iPhone 3GS works
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Smile iPhone 3GS - not sure if i can unlock
    Hello dear friends,
    I have an iPhone 3GS which is locked to AT&T. I am still under contract and hence cannot get it unocked from AT&T.

My iPhone 3GS works on 4.3.4 and has a 5.16.02 baseband.
    First 5 digits of serial are 87117
    Boot rom - 359.3.2 (new boot rom)

From what i read online, i have to upgrade to iPad baseband (6.15.00) and then downgrade to a lower version.

i read the following 2 things and it got me confused over whether or not i should proceed with jailbreak and unlocking.
    1. If the 3-5th digit of serial number is over 134 that phone cannot be upgraded to ipad baseband.
    2. My phone has a new boot rom (359.3.2) - i am not sure how this affects my eligibility for an unlock.

Can someone confirm if i can upgrade to ipad baseband and then unlock.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr.girish View Post
    Hello dear friends,
    I have an iPhone 3GS which is locked to AT&T. I am still under contract and hence cannot get it unocked from AT&T.

My iPhone 3GS works on 4.3.4 and has a 5.16.02 baseband.
    First 5 digits of serial are 87117
    Boot rom - 359.3.2 (new boot rom)

From what i read online, i have to upgrade to iPad baseband (6.15.00) and then downgrade to a lower version.

i read the following 2 things and it got me confused over whether or not i should proceed with jailbreak and unlocking.
    1. If the 3-5th digit of serial number is over 134 that phone cannot be upgraded to ipad baseband.
    2. My phone has a new boot rom (359.3.2) - i am not sure how this affects my eligibility for an unlock.

Can someone confirm if i can upgrade to ipad baseband and then unlock.
    nope you are definitely ok to use the ipad baseband install and downgrade..

However, if you can wait, I would suggest waiting until musclenerd (iphone hacker who developed a way to downgrade ipad baseband) updates redsn0w, because a lot of people are having issues with successfully downgrading from ipad baseband

Many of them cannot downgrade and were stuck on ipad baseband, so musclenerd found out the issue and will update redsn0w

But its up to you if you want to do it, I had no issues downgrading my 3gs..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

dr.girish (06-28-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    nope you are definitely ok to use the ipad baseband install and downgrade..

However, if you can wait, I would suggest waiting until musclenerd (iphone hacker who developed a way to downgrade ipad baseband) updates redsn0w, because a lot of people are having issues with successfully downgrading from ipad baseband

Many of them cannot downgrade and were stuck on ipad baseband, so musclenerd found out the issue and will update redsn0w

But its up to you if you want to do it, I had no issues downgrading my 3gs..
    Thank you Evo, i appreciate your quick response.

I have waited for a long time for this downgrade option from ipad baseband. I am really tempted to go ahead and do it :P

Just to clarify, does the boot rom have nothing to do with this? why do people say that newer boot rom 3GS should not be upgraded.

Thanks.

EVO
    Thanks

old/new bootrom has nothing to do with whether it can be installed on the ipad baseband or not, it only pertains to whether you can on an untethered or tethered jailbreaked iOS firmware...

the thing that determines whether its safe to install the ipad baseband is the year and date the 3gs was manufactured, because starting in 2011 of week 28, Apple began manufactured a hardware chip that is not compatible with the ipad baseband, so if you have a 3gs made from week 28 or later of 2011, and you install the ipad baseband, you will most likely fried the baseband..

However, according to the serial you provided, your 3gs was made in week 17 of 2011 so you are safe to install the ipad baseband

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

dr.girish (06-28-2012)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

The only thing you MAY incur is an issue with the downgrade (I'm not exactly sure with the specifics as to what versions are affected), however the dev team are going to be releasing an update of their downgrade to aid those whom have had issues with specific models...

This is to do with the NOR as per the Dev teams blog.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Susty For This Useful Post:

dr.girish (06-28-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you EVO and Susty.

Here is what i did:
    iOS 4.3.4 & BB 5.16.02--> iOS 4.1 --> Jailbreak and upgrade to iPad BB 6.15.00 using redsn0w --> Unlock BB 6.15.00 using ultrasn0w --> upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 using custom firmware and redsn0w --> Jailbreak 5.1.1 using redsn0w--> downgrade 6.15.00 to 5.13.04 using redsn0w--> unlock using ultrasn0w --> so finally i have iOS 5.1.1 with BB 5.13.04 unlocked and Jailbroken.

Surprisingly i did not loose my GPS when i upgraded to iPad baseband

Thanks for the help. Highly appreciate it.

EVO
    Thanks

Thank you EVO and Susty.

Here is what i did:
    iOS 4.3.4 & BB 5.16.02--> iOS 4.1 --> Jailbreak and upgrade to iPad BB 6.15.00 using redsn0w --> Unlock BB 6.15.00 using ultrasn0w --> upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 using custom firmware and redsn0w --> Jailbreak 5.1.1 using redsn0w--> downgrade 6.15.00 to 5.13.04 using redsn0w--> unlock using ultrasn0w --> so finally i have iOS 5.1.1 with BB 5.13.04 unlocked and Jailbroken.

Surprisingly i did not loose my GPS when i upgraded to iPad baseband

Thanks for the help. Highly appreciate it.

That is great news to hear.

We are glad everything worked out for you!

We welcome any questions you may have.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

dr.girish (06-28-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I did all this yesterday but today noticed that i have a couple problems. I hope you can help. A google search did bring up some results but i couldnt figure out a solution.

1. My phone resets/restarts during a call. Especially calls that last longer than 5 minutes.
    2. when my phone sleeps/locks, the wifi connection somehow disconnects (which i assume is a battery saving feature). When i unlock the phone, my phone re-connects to the wifi network but i cannot use the internet. So its just like wifi without internet. I usually have to turn wifi on and off for it to work.

Both these problems did not exist earlier Please help.

EVO
    Thanks

I did all this yesterday but today noticed that i have a couple problems. I hope you can help. A google search did bring up some results but i couldnt figure out a solution.

1. My phone resets/restarts during a call. Especially calls that last longer than 5 minutes.
    2. when my phone sleeps/locks, the wifi connection somehow disconnects (which i assume is a battery saving feature). When i unlock the phone, my phone re-connects to the wifi network but i cannot use the internet. So its just like wifi without internet. I usually have to turn wifi on and off for it to work.

Both these problems did not exist earlier Please help.
    1. You didn't install any Cydia tweaks after you restored did you?...if so, name them

2. When you say restart, do you mean the phone reboots itself?....or it disconnects the call?

3. How often does the restart occur? Is it only when you make calls or does it reboot randomly?

4. The wifi issue typically occurs due to inactivity from a device for a particular time. And you sure it's not the router causing the issue?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to EVO For This Useful Post:

dr.girish (06-28-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

1. You didn't install any Cydia tweaks after you restored did you?...if so, name them
    Yes I did, SBSettings and something called Cydget. Also installed Element but it didnt work out so i uninstalled.

2. When you say restart, do you mean the phone reboots itself?....or it disconnects the call?
    The phone reboots completely, and the apple logo appears.

3. How often does the restart occur? Is it only when you make calls or does it reboot randomly?
    It is ONLY when i make calls and ONLY when these call are over 5 minutes.

4. The wifi issue typically occurs due to inactivity from a device for a particular time. And you sure it's not the router causing the issue?
    How do i know its not the router causing this issue? All my other devices work well including my Dell XPS laptop, Kindle fire & Blackberry curve. They all connect without issues after waking from sleep mode.

Could these cydia tweaks be the cause. Is there a way i can reset the device without loosing the JB status and unlock?

Thanks

Haha! I know this one... Seen it & experienced it before quick question... Which version of sn0wbreeze did you use?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Susty For This Useful Post:

dr.girish (06-29-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susty View Post
    Haha! I know this one... Seen it & experienced it before quick question... Which version of sn0wbreeze did you use?
    I did not use sn0wbreeze. Used redsn0w for JB (versions 0.9.14b1 and 0.9.6rc18) and ultrasn0w for unlock. Did i go wrong somewhere?

Thanks

Nah not at all... If you take a look at the memory stats at the top (try making a free call in speaker mode) what you'll find is that during the call, your memory gets lower & lower... To a stage where it gets to about 8-7MB... Then freaks out & reboots

It'll happen should you use Skype as well (as your on the 3GS) & on an iPhone 4 & the iPod touch also affects FaceTime too.
    Last edited by Susty; 06-28-2012 at 02:10 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Susty For This Useful Post:

dr.girish (06-29-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susty View Post
    Nah not at all... If you take a look at the memory stats at the top (try making a free call in speaker mode) what you'll find is that during the call, your memory gets lower & lower... To a stage where it gets to about 8-7MB... Then freaks out & reboots

It'll happen should you use Skype as well (as your on the 3GS) & on an iPhone 4 & the iPod touch also affects FaceTime too.
    I made a few calls throughout the day and used SBSettings to check the memory status during calls while using speaker/headphones. It seemed to be constant at around 60MB and not getting any lower. I also found out that the phone reboots only when i am in a call and only when the phone goes in the sleep mode during the call ie. blank screen. So if i keep tapping the screen to keep it active i could make long calls and not even once did the phone reboot.

So its something that happens during that lock/sleep mode that reboots my iPhone

I think i'll just try and restore the iPhone. Any suggestions on how i can do that? which method do i use?

Thanks

I personally (having suffered similar issues as you) would opt for a sn0wbreeze 2.9.6 custom firmware & just increase the system partition SLIGHTLY.. If you run themes & things like that, (depends on the size gb of the phone) as since I've done this, I've had no issues with it bombing out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

could you be kind enough to direct me to a tutorial for doing this? or maybe point me in the right direction
    thank you.

Thanks

I say slightly... I did do an overkill on one device to test & it's partition is 3.3 G!!! No need for a partition that size WHATSOEVER... However I just wanted to test it out as when iOS 5 came out... The system partition part in sn0wbreeze did stop working... However iH8sn0w has done a cracking job & it works again

could you be kind enough to direct me to a tutorial for doing this? or maybe point me in the right direction
    thank you.
    I can gladly guide you through it... Sn0wbreeze requires a windows system mind you

Ok so you'll want Sn0wbreeze, you can get that from here

http://ih8sn0w.com

Download that & extract to the desktop & open that up. Click on ok, then the arrow

You can now locate the Stock IPSW or download one... Pick your choice to continue & select old/new bootrom (or detect if you don't know) & then the arrow.

Select expert mode, click general & then the arrow

Select hacktivate (if you don't have the original sim the phone is locked to, otherwise ignore) & you can install ssh (I do for personal purposes)

You have a root partition size.. Here is where you can increase it (mine looking here defaults at 1250MB) I'd push it to 2048MB (2gb) & click the arrow. Leave the iPad baseband UNTICKED (sn0wbreeze won't update the baseband so if it's already unlockable, your ok) & click the arrow.

Next section is if you have additional repos you want to add as part of the install (here I just click the arrow to let it install the default cydia ones).

Then click build Ipsw.

This will cook your Ipsw wage the new root partition size... The baseband WON'T be touched (so don't worry thinking it'll upgrade it, sn0wbreeze never will unless you specifically tell it to install the iPad baseband).

Once it's done it's job, the rest is easy as instructions are as on screen

Any problems give us a shout, I'll save this rough guide for future reference lol
    Last edited by Susty; 06-29-2012 at 12:09 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Susty For This Useful Post:

dr.girish (07-01-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, i am about to try this now. Doesnt seem too complicated

Ill get back with results thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It didnt work out.
    Everything went fine with sn0wbreeze.
    Made a call and bang, my iphone reboots at around 7 minutes

So now what next??
    HELP !!!

EVO
    Thanks

It didnt work out.
    Everything went fine with sn0wbreeze.
    Made a call and bang, my iphone reboots at around 7 minutes

So now what next??
    HELP !!!
    We need to determine whether its the jailbreak, the iOS itself, or some hardware issue..

Since you already experienced it again with the jailbreak, restore to a custom NO_BB 5.1.1 firmware and test it out again. This NO_BB preserves your baseband, but it does not contain the jailbreak, so you are pretty much running a stock iOS.

If you do not how to create a custom NO_BB firmware, use redsn0w, go to Extras -> Custom ISPW, and locate the STOCK 5.1.1 firmware you downloaded, once its done, perform the SAME method to restore to this NO_BB firmware as you did with the sn0wbreeze firmware

then test the call out and see if the issue persists