+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help in understanding the ENTIRE process of unlocking

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have used Absinthe 2 to jailbreak my ATT 4s 5.1.1 phone and it seems to have completed successfully. Does this mean the phone is now unlocked? If not, what
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Help in understanding the ENTIRE process of unlocking
    I have used Absinthe 2 to jailbreak my ATT 4s 5.1.1 phone and it seems to have completed successfully. Does this mean the phone is now unlocked? If not, what have i accomplished by jailbreaking and what more needs to be done to "unlock" the phone so I can get a chip from a provider in Panama and activate my phone there?

If the phone does need an additional step or process to unlock it, can it be done online with software? I keep hearing about a chip or sim (Gevey?) Is this hardware required to successfully unlock the phone - if not what is the reason or advantage of getting it and waiting for shipping etc?

THanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Jailbreaking is not the same as unlocking. For software unlocks, they require a jailbreak to accomplish. Being on a 4S, there is no software unlock option for you.

Your device is only unlockable via Gevey Ultra S SIM which costs $40, or you can get it officially unlocked by the carrier if they provide it or via an online unlocking service which costs around $130. You cannot do the unlock yourself, essentially.

The advantage of paying extra for an official unlock is that whenever you upgrade on new firmware releases, the device stays permanently unlocked with no additional services or steps for you to take. If you get the Gevey, currently it does work on all firmware versions for the 4S. The status of if it will work on new releases of firmware updates is not always certain. Especially with iOS 6 nearing, there may be major changes that will cause Gevey to have to release a new SIM to unlock devices which can take time and will cost extra for users.

I hope this clarifies it up for you. As for the unlocking service online, I forget what it is. If you are interested, I would suggest shooting Simon a PM. He has personally used the service himself and confirms it is legit.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Very good explanation.. Thanks..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbartlett View Post
    I have used Absinthe 2 to jailbreak my ATT 4s 5.1.1 phone and it seems to have completed successfully. Does this mean the phone is now unlocked? If not, what have i accomplished by jailbreaking and what more needs to be done to "unlock" the phone so I can get a chip from a provider in Panama and activate my phone there?

If the phone does need an additional step or process to unlock it, can it be done online with software? I keep hearing about a chip or sim (Gevey?) Is this hardware required to successfully unlock the phone - if not what is the reason or advantage of getting it and waiting for shipping etc?

THanks
    You have an AT&T iPhone. Since AT&T is offering unlock for their customers, free of charge, why not call them and check out if your iPhone can be unlocked.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You have to be out of contract with AT&T to have them unlock your iPhone.

Thanks

Agreed, but I also have a friend, who is now overseas, had a contract with AT&T, but since he told them, that he doesn't live in USA anymore, they were willing to unlock it.

I any case, it is worth trying.