+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4S: T-Mobile on CDMA-version

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have been reading some conflicting and confusing information regarding the SIM trays on CDMA versions of iPhone 4S's that may be able to use a Gevey unlock tray to
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Lightbulb iPhone 4S: T-Mobile on CDMA-version
    I have been reading some conflicting and confusing information regarding the SIM trays on CDMA versions of iPhone 4S's that may be able to use a Gevey unlock tray to use on ATT/T-mobile just like a GSM version iPhone. In general the CDMA versions are cheaper than the GSM versions available.

Has anyone tried to use a Verizon/Sprint iPhone on T-mobile? How could this work? Thanks.

Thanks

It works, if you unlock a sprint or Verizon(WCDMA OR CDMA) you can use AT&T tmobile or ANY gsm carrier. All you'll have to do is some tweaking to get your data and mms working.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can you explain? I am over at macrumors forum and alot of people havent been able to figure it out. I can unlock and get SMS initially, but after i reboot the phone, i lose SMS sending abilities...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdmz View Post
    Can you explain? I am over at macrumors forum and alot of people havent been able to figure it out. I can unlock and get SMS initially, but after i reboot the phone, i lose SMS sending abilities...

When you reboot your APN setting will change back to your carrier's setting so you'll just gonna have to retype your APN setting when you reboot but besides that I have no Problem using Simple Mobile on a verizon unlocked iPhone 4s. To get APN setting just download tetherme from cydia it cost like $2 I think. There's tons of video's on YouTube if you look around

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm also interested and am still looking for this info

Thanks
    Last edited by 3Guser2011; 06-04-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3Guser2011 View Post
    I'm also interested and am still looking for this info

Thanks
    There's a video on YouTube that explains it very well and how to unlock. Search "unlock iPhone 4s Verizon" should be the first video.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default I stand corrected
    [QUOTE=MXCO;6554082]It works, if you unlock a sprint or Verizon(WCDMA OR CDMA) you can use AT&T tmoT
    The two technologies CDMA Verizon and Sprint, and UMTS, AT&T and T-Mobile are completely different, these phone will not work on different technology networks.
    Last edited by X242; 06-28-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    That's what I was thinking too.^^^^^^^

Thanks

[QUOTE=X242;6557499]
    Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    It works, if you unlock a sprint or Verizon(WCDMA OR CDMA) you can use AT&T tmoT
    The two technologies CDMA Verizon and Sprint, and UMTS, AT&T and T-Mobile are completely different, these phone will not work on different technology networks.
    iPhone 4s is a dual band also known as a world phone meaning it can operate in either WCDMA CDMA or GSM once it's unlocked you can use it on any GSM carrier regardless. Trust me it does work I have an iPhone 4s 16gb that was locked to Verizon with a bad ESN and now it's unlocked and I'm using simple mobile on it.

Thanks
    I have a sprint bad esn 4s unlocked and running T-mobile on 5.1.1. Everything works BUT the sending SMS. I've tried editing the carrier bundles/plist/etc. I've also tried the **5005* sms center number trick, but with my t-mobile card inserted it will always pop up as +7. I can stick the sprint sim in and it'll show up +12063130004, but when i insert the t-mobile back in it'll revert to +7. I can receive sms and i can send/receive mms (enter apn mms settings manually). Of course most of the settings will dissappear after reboot. I have tetherme installed as well.

The SIM works as I have a 4s ATT w/gevey unlocked fully functional 100% sms/mms/etc.

It's just this dang sprint phone. it won't take the new sms service center number and save it. Otherwise I can live with having to re-entering the settings after reboot.

Anyone else having this problem or know of a solution? Thanks

iPhone4Life! and apple tatoos are awesome

Green Apple
    Thanks
    So is this SMS issue specific to a 4s phone unlocked with a gevey sim? how about if your sprint phone was factory unlocked? would this resolve the issue?

asking because im thinking of picking up a bad esn cdma phone and paying for unlock to use on TMO USA.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ratbrain View Post
    So is this SMS issue specific to a 4s phone unlocked with a gevey sim? how about if your sprint phone was factory unlocked? would this resolve the issue?

asking because im thinking of picking up a bad esn cdma phone and paying for unlock to use on TMO USA.
    I have no idea on factory unlocked phones. Both of mine are carrier locked. ATT and Sprint. My att one works 100% w/no isuues. You might have to reenter Cellular data settings every once in a while or redo the SMS center number (seldomly have to even after a reboot), but the sprint one you have to enter everytime reboot or re-insert the sim. The settings dissappear (I can live with having to redo them, but it's the SMS issue. I reset the SMS **5005*7672* method w/OEM sprint sim and it'll show up as the +12063130004 number, but when i re-insert the T-mobile sim into the phone it reverts back to +7) Pissing me off so bad. The same sim works flawlessly with the ATT phone.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    does jailbreaking the phone make a difference on the SMS issue?

i currently have a 4 that was ATT but it is now factory unlocked, but like you , i've never had an issue with SMS, however, its always been JB.

Thanks
    No idea if it's the JB, BUT on CDMA Sprint/Verizon 4s's you have to be JB in order to unlock w/furious mod.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    so is your sprint 4s currently on 5.1.1 JB with absinthe? i'm not that familiar with furious mod , but from what i remember its for untethered for fw 5.0.1.

if you are now JB w/ absinthe and 5.1.1, you shouldnt need furious mod anymore for untethered.

i think it has to do with it being unlocked via gevey sim. if you get the phone factory unlocked it may resolve the SMS issue.

Thanks
    It has a bad ESN so no option to factory unlock. The Gevey ultra S CDMA needs to have the furiousmod tweak in order to unlock the Sprint/Verizon iphone 4s.

Absinthe 2.0+ IS the untethered JB for 5.1.1

Green Apple
    Thanks
    check the unlocking site being suggested by Simon. i believe when i read the faq the service is available to provide unlocking for BAD ESN phones, but it costs more.

Thanks
    Yeah, I'm not spending anymore money on this. Just gonna sell it for what I have into it. I'm sure a cydia tweak or something else will eventually pop up, but I'm not spending $75+ to get this unlocked. If I can't sell it, this can be a backup.

My problem is for using w/t-mobile ONLY, no idea about other GSM carriers. It may work 100% with another carrier besides t-mobile.
    Last edited by charlie0369; 06-28-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks

I have the same problem on a AT&T iPhone 4s iOS 5.1.1 bb 2.0.12 gsm Gevey :/

roz
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not to thread hijack, but I'm using the same methods as described above, but it takes me between 10-12 hours to get a carrier signal. Does anyone else have this issue? I thought these things picked up signal within 4-5 minutes? Any tips to increase the search speed?