Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to factory imei unlock an iPhone ? ? ? at&t

i just read through this thread and now I'm a bit confused. Heres my situation.

I'm selling this jailbroken iphone 4 running 5.0.1 on AT&T to a buyer who asked for it to be unlocked. I came across the method that blkcadi provided and bought the unlock service through them. Now I'm just waiting for the email after sending my IMEI. This is where I get confused. When I get the email saying its been unlocked in Apples servers and I have to plug it in to iTunes and backup and restore, can I keep my current At&T sim card in when activating it? Will something go wrong if I do? Am I supposed to use a different sim card? The buyer is going to be using this phone with Simple Mobile so what exactly do I do from here. What are my next steps after sending my IMEI to get this phone unlocked and off of my hands into hers???

Thanks
    Thanked 15,564 Times in 7,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    For selling on internet obviously. The vast majority of people who unlock do so for reselling purposes - not personal use with new carrier, Simon.. C'mon.. :-) But we can agree to disagree - agreeably..

There ya go.. Exactly..

Ok.. 72%.. Ya got me.. LOL!!!

You are MOST DEFINITELY in the minority. LOL!! Why would you need to 'activate' multiple phones? Resale? And surely you don't have accounts with 9 different companies. That begs the question. EVEN IF I did want to test service coverage with, let's say StraightTalk, how do I get a SIM - without locking into a monthly agreement with them? I'm in that category of wanting to have my options open - especially when I'm in Spain to use PREPAID.. But how do you just GET a SIM from another carrier without committing? This is again the reason why most of us would just not have a 'sim laying around' to confirm unlock of our phones.
    Yes, I'm a minority, agreed
    I'm also international so for me and the people where I live having a non official carrier sim is pretty much everybody here. We HAVE to have an unlocked iPhone or we cant have an iPhone at all.
    As for the why do I need so many sims, it's because I own my own store. We do copies, passport pics, drinks etc. But I also run a little side business out of it, unlocking and fixing people's iPhones, blackberries and androids. And being in Bermuda I see iPhones from all over, the vast majority I do are ATT since we are so close to the US, but I also get tons of Canadian iPhones and UK iPhones. I have even unlocked iPhones from Australia and Norway to name a few other scattered countries. So I need as many carrier sims as I can get si I can activate these phones properly before doing whatever needs to be done on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    i just read through this thread and now I'm a bit confused. Heres my situation.

I'm selling this jailbroken iphone 4 running 5.0.1 on AT&T to a buyer who asked for it to be unlocked. I came across the method that blkcadi provided and bought the unlock service through them. Now I'm just waiting for the email after sending my IMEI. This is where I get confused. When I get the email saying its been unlocked in Apples servers and I have to plug it in to iTunes and backup and restore, can I keep my current At&T sim card in when activating it? Will something go wrong if I do? Am I supposed to use a different sim card? The buyer is going to be using this phone with Simple Mobile so what exactly do I do from here. What are my next steps after sending my IMEI to get this phone unlocked and off of my hands into hers???
    If you are restoring it you can use your ATT sim.

But how do you just GET a SIM from another carrier without committing?
    I may not live in the US but even I know a sim from another carrier can easily be bought for under $50 at many places, even supermarkets. Even $20 or less. Pay as you go my friend
    How do you think I have two t-mobile sims and countless ATT ones? I have never signes a contract with either of them. Not to mention different carrier sims can easily be found on ebay for $5 or less. No commitment needed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Nest (09-13-2012)

Oh okay then! Thats great to know! I will be restoring it and getting 5.1.1 then jailbreaking again for the buyer. This wont affect the unlock will it??? I'm guessing no.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Oh okay then! Thats great to know! I will be restoring it and getting 5.1.1 then jailbreaking again for the buyer. This wont affect the unlock will it??? I'm guessing no.
    Nope, wont affect it. As long as you activate first before jailbreaking.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what kind of mods are you leaving people's questions behind and not answering them while answering the other's questions

i think thats really rude... not cool guys

my question is still unanswered

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Shadow View Post
    what kind of mods are you leaving people's questions behind and not answering them while answering the other's questions

i think thats really rude... not cool guys

my question is still unanswered
    I have answered your question already. You keep asking the same thing over and over. Not my problem if you can't understand me. Sorry.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,215 Times in 6,216 Posts

dude simon

my iphone is hacktivated and i dont have a sim what should i do if i want to unlock?
    Get a sim, Simon explained where and how to buy/get them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Get a sim, Simon explained where and how to buy/get them.
    And you have shown where to go to get it unlocked. So I'm not sure what the confusion is all about.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I just read through the last couple of pages. Your question was answered. You asked if a hacktivated phone is fine when getting officially unlocked. Simon said no, it should not be hacktivated. You want to activate with the SIM you're wanting to use when the phone gets unlocked. You want to avoid hacktivation and you want to use a SIM to activate when unlocking.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Simon (09-13-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I just read through the last couple of pages. Your question was answered. You asked if a hacktivated phone is fine when getting officially unlocked. Simon said no, it should not be hacktivated. You want to activate with the SIM you're wanting to use when the phone gets unlocked. You want to avoid hacktivation and you want to use a SIM to activate when unlocking.
    See, I know I wasn't going crazy lol

Thanks

The question was asked one more time after you answered it, that's probably where the confusion was. But you did answer all of the questions properly prior to it being asked again on the page before this one.

Thanks

The question was asked one more time after you answered it, that's probably where the confusion was. But you did answer all of the questions properly prior to it being asked again on the page before this one.
    Oh, I know it was asked more than once. That's why I stopped answering it. I don't see why I should have to answer the same question multiple times.

Thanks

It's okay Simon. You're super helpful and you do the best you can. We all know and love you here lol.

Thanks

It's okay Simon. You're super helpful and you do the best you can. We all know and love you here lol.
    Aww, shucks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok fine i will take my words back

Thanks

ok fine i will take my words back
    Ok

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ow great now i need to get to sim cards just to unlock an iphone

the hactivation does go away once you reset to factory settings right?

Thanks

Yes it does go away after you factory restore in iTunes.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Silent Shadow (09-13-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes it does go away after you factory restore in iTunes.
    good

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

do i have to have an att simcard in my iphone during the activation? or T-mobile?

btw its an iphone 4 att
    If it is factory unlocked, any sim will activate it.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast