Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will the Gevey Sim Work in the UK with a USA iPhone 4?

Default Will the Gevey Sim Work in the UK with a USA iPhone 4?
    So I'm planning on going to the UK and was wondering if my Gevey Sim will still unlock my iPhone 4. I'm currently using the phone with T-Mobile but I'm going to have to purchase a pay-as-you-go sim on a different provider (o2, orange, etc.) when I'm in the UK. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance!

AT&T locked iPhone 4 32GB
    Gevey Ultra Sim
    Baseband: 4.10.01
    iOS 5.0.1

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The Gevey should work regardless where you are as long as the SIM is active.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

Yes, it will, but make absolutely sure that you stay on BB4.10.01. If you're jailbroken, I suggest installing furiousmod, so you don't have to dial 112.

3 had an incredible prepaid deal (relative to the US) for 500 minutes, 3000 texts and unlimited data for 15 or 20 quid for the month. I had MyWi tethering 4 devices without any issues with the carrier.

If you haven't tried yet, you could just request the official unlock from AT&T. They have been doing it for people who are not AT&T customers. I use TMO and was able to get an old 3G and my iPhone 4 unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    If you haven't tried yet, you could just request the official unlock from AT&T. They have been doing it for people who are not AT&T customers. I use TMO and was able to get an old 3G and my iPhone 4 unlocked.
    Oh really, I would definitely want to do that. Can you explain how you got them to unlock it for you even though you're using T-Mobile? Was the process difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPwange View Post
    Oh really, I would definitely want to do that. Can you explain how you got them to unlock it for you even though you're using T-Mobile? Was the process difficult?
    Super easy. I'm not a chatty person and I hate waiting on hold, so I just emailed them at [email protected]. This is the exact email I sent them:

Hi, I would like to request an unlock for an iPhone 4. IMEI is
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
    Let me know if you need any other information from me.
    If you do not need any additional information, then please go ahead an push
    the request through.

Thank you,
    Then I received unlock instructions in email after 3-days the first time (iPhone 4), 4-days the 2nd time (iPhone 3G). Put in the TMO sim, sync to iTunes, and you'll get a congratulatory unlock message.

Alternatively, you can call their customer support or use live chat, but I don't have the links for that so you'll have to Google it. The only time people have been refused an unlock is if the phone is still under contract with the original owner, or has been reported lost/stolen. Some people have been able to re-submit their request and got it unlocked anyway, despite having been previously refused.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GnatGoSplat For This Useful Post:

KingOfPwange (04-20-2012)

Awesome! thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by mikejinuk View Post
    Yes, it will, but make absolutely sure that you stay on BB4.10.01. If you're jailbroken, I suggest installing furiousmod, so you don't have to dial 112.

3 had an incredible prepaid deal (relative to the US) for 500 minutes, 3000 texts and unlimited data for 15 or 20 quid for the month. I had MyWi tethering 4 devices without any issues with the carrier.
    Ok thats good to hear, I'm assuming you've used the Gevey in the UK then. Did you have to contact the UK carrier you were using for the pay-to-go sim or did swapping sims just work? Also, did any iOS features not work (iMessage, FaceTime, etc.)?
    Last edited by KingOfPwange; 04-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.