+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to reflash iPad baseband on iOS 3.0 (iPhone 3G)?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I think I have a difficult question so I'll say thanks in advance for you all to help me... Sorry if this is a bit lengthy. I read a few
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default How to reflash iPad baseband on iOS 3.0 (iPhone 3G)?
    I think I have a difficult question so I'll say thanks in advance for you all to help me... Sorry if this is a bit lengthy.

I read a few posts where people said that it is safe to restore your iPhone to stock firmwares below 3.1.3 with the 06.15.00 baseband (baseband won't get corrupted). However, I'm not so sure because I did so and my iphone 3G is saying that I have an invalid SIM inserted when I know my SIM is supposed to work only with new APN settings installed (I was jailbroken on 4.1 with a working 06.15.00 BB with ultrasn0w unlock when I DFU mode downgraded to stock 3.0)

If my baseband got corrupted (when I restored OR possibly ultrasn0w did something to it), then it means I need a way to reflash it while on 3.0 firmware (BTW that's 3.0.0). I cannot find any tools to reflash it for me (none of them are compatible with 3.0 firmware) and if I were to upgrade to 4.1 so that I could use redsn0w 0.9.6b6 to reflash the baseband, then there isn't custom 3.0 firmware for me to downgrade to which basically puts me in a bind

As of right now, I think I ABSOLUTELY MUST be on 3.0 firmware (my SIM card may only work on 3.0).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

You can only reflash to ipad bb when you are at 4.xx. If you need to reflash just restore back to 4.1 ,do your reflash and then bring down your firmware.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

grz885 (04-18-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

You can only reflash to ipad bb when you are at 4.xx. If you need to reflash just restore back to 4.1 ,do your reflash and then bring down your firmware
    Thank you iYeow, I already did already reflash my baseband on 4.1 last week (after going to some stock firmware corrupted my baseband previously) and to "bring down" my firmware I restored to stock 3.0 yesterday. BUT, I'm not sure if this was safe to do...

When I corrupted my baseband before, it was a restoration to stock 4.1 from 4.2.1 and then an upgrade (actually "upgrade" in iTunes, not restore) to 4.2.1 again that corrupted it. redsn0w didn't like this "upgrade" (the jailbreak failed) so I restored to 4.1 and then jailbroke it with redsn0w with a baseband reflash.

Basically I'm not sure if my stock 3.0 restoration did corrupt the 06.15 baseband like the 4.1 restoration or the 4.2.1 upgrade did and if so, it means I need a SAFE way to bring it back down to 3.0 after reflashing it. It looks like the guy in this video did it, and I'm trying to get a response from him as well as to how he did it...
    iPhone 3G on tracfone service - YouTube

To me that means custom 3.0 firmware or a baseband "protector" that allows a stock firmware restoration and nobody seems to have these Does somebody know how this is possible?
    Last edited by grz885; 04-18-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks

You can downgrade to 3.0 using custom firmware which will not touch your baseband. No shsh required.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    You can downgrade to 3.0 using custom firmware which will not touch your baseband. No shsh required.
    Yes, I understand how I would do it, but do you know if there are applications that can make it? I can't use PwnageTool because I'm on Windows but even if I could, it's only compatible with 3.1.3 and up, it won't do. sn0wbreeze is for Windows, but it's 3.1.3 and up too. I did find one ipsw that this other forum claims is Pwned 3.0 firmware for the 3G, but it's piracy to take it, I don't trust it, and even if I did, its on megaupload.com and right now the site is blocked for piracy investigation.

Is it even still necessary to get custom firmware? Maybe the baseband is okay. I'll borrow a friend's working AT&T sim tomorrow and I'll see if it works in my phone. Would that tell me if the baseband is good or not?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,755 Times in 6,862 Posts

Being on 3.0 will have no bearing on your phone working with the ipad baseband. You should go to 3.1.3 or 4.2.1 (your choice). If you want to go to 3.1.3 you will get a 1015 error, use tiny umbrella to exit recovery. At this point you need to use a ATT sim to activate the phone and then use redsnow 0.9.4 to jailbreak it. Or if you dont have a ATT sim you can just use redsnow to jailbreak and hactivate it.

If you want to go to 4.2.1 you can use snowbreeze to make a custom 4.2.1, you will not get 1015 error with a custom firmware. Same applie for activation as before, you will either need an ATT sim to activate or choose the option to preactivate the custom firmware with snowbreeze.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

grz885 (04-18-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Being on 3.0 will have no bearing on your phone working with the ipad baseband. You should go to 3.1.3 or 4.2.1 (your choice). If you want to go to 3.1.3 you will get a 1015 error, use tiny umbrella to exit recovery. At this point you need to use a ATT sim to activate the phone and then use redsnow 0.9.4 to jailbreak it. Or if you dont have a ATT sim you can just use redsnow to jailbreak and hactivate it.

If you want to go to 4.2.1 you can use snowbreeze to make a custom 4.2.1, you will not get 1015 error with a custom firmware. Same applie for activation as before, you will either need an ATT sim to activate or choose the option to preactivate the custom firmware with snowbreeze.
    When you say this:
    Being on 3.0 will have no bearing on your phone working with the ipad baseband
    do you mean that the stock 3.0 restore didn't corrupt my 06.15 baseband? Sorry but I don't follow what you mean by that.

Either way I need to remain on 3.0.0 firmware, as I am following along with this video...
    iPhone 3G on tracfone service - YouTube
    and, for the time being, I think that there is at least one special thing about 3.0 that other firmwares might not have. Until I can duplicate the video, I have to try to remain as close to it as possible to eliminate variations (I may be the second person attempting to duplicate it).

Thanks

I dont see how 3.0 would corrupt your baseband. And I am not understanding why you need 3.0 or are following that video.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I dont see how 3.0 would corrupt your baseband. And I am not understanding why you need 3.0 or are following that video.
    Thank you Simon, that's good news for me, likely one less thing I need to worry about.

For your understanding...
    Basically the video I am following was posted by a guy that told me that he had no idea how he did it. He said that he was just "messing with" his iPhone and his Tracfone SIM started working. I replied to him today, asking him if he might know something that isn't in his description but until then, I need to eliminate as many variations from the video as possible. This thread from 2009 is what made the first progress [Project] Tracfone for iPhone and many others made it seem like doing this was practically impossible. So the video is like finding the Lost Ark basically.

The "special" thing about ios 3.0 could be the carrier version, which is AT&T 4.0 (the video iphone has it and so do I), not found on any other ios version. So right now the only difference I see between what I just tried and the video is that our phones are different. It looks like he could not get data and I can get it on my Tracfone. BUT, when you have had access to 5 Tracfones in your life as I have, there are three different types of SIMs aside from the carrier they use. The SIM from the video and my SIM are identical, except for their ICCIDs of course. It's complicated but I suppose this is what you go through when you're the second person trying it.

Thanks

Still not really understanding what you are trying to accomplish. You say you were on 4.1 before and your signal and data were working with ultrasnow?

Green Apple
    Thanks

No, I have yet to get a signal on my iphone from the Tracfone SIM, even with jailbreak and unlock. This is what most people try and it doesn't work because...well...nobody knows why. The video poster, Pavel284, replied to me after I asked how he did it:
    I have no idea how it worked for me I just downloaded the APN then put in the sim just messing with it and it worked I was surprised also make sure data roaming is off and 3G also
    Any yes, I turned data roaming and 3G off (it makes sense why you would, Tracfone SIMs are low tech). I replied to Pavel284, basically saying that he struck gold in proving the unlockers wrong...or so I think right now. Just discussing this with you has made me realize that his iphone could be factory unlocked. I'll have to ask him that next.

In the mean time, I also noticed that those two chimes that you hear in the video after he puts his SIM in are the voicemail chimes and you can see that he has notifications for his phone app. I'll try anything at this point, so I'm going to call my Tracfone and leave a voicemail message on it and then try it in my iphone again.

Thanks

Have you called Atnt and get it unlocked Though you can't change your bb anymore, at least you don't have to use Ultrasnow .

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Have you called Atnt and get it unlocked Though you can't change your bb anymore, at least you don't have to use Ultrasnow .
    I don't know enough right now about what the video poster did. As far as I know right now, his iphone isn't unlocked at all, or else he should have said so in the video description. He did say
    ...this iPhone was never unlocked, what I did was I went to unlockit.co.nz...installed the APN settings for Tracfone...
    Then again, how do you even know if your iPhone is factory unlocked? He could have bought it factory unlocked without knowing it or he forgot. Again I'll have to ask him this and still try putting a voicemail message on my Tracfone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Today I verified that my baseband is okay by trying a friend's genuine AT&T SIM in my iphone - it works perfectly (if this wasn't a sufficient BB test, then how would I better verify it's integrity?).

Now I'm looking for more in depth help on getting my Tracfone SIM working in my iPhone. I have this other thread for that: Tracfone for iPhone (Part 2)

ANY contributions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Ya, your baseband is fine. I dont know anything about the tracfone sims to help there though sorry.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

grz885 (04-19-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thank you again for the BB confirmation, and I can understand if nobody has any advise for me. I am probably the second person on the planet trying to duplicate an accidental discovery, so as of right now, answers are few.

For those who'd like to help, I'd think that a thread/category change would be best... Tracfone for iPhone (Part 2) and today I got some interesting changes with my iphone. After I put my friend's genuine at&t SIM in, a window came up that said "iPhone is activated" - I had never seen that before. And also, I put two new voicemails on my Tracfone and, when I moved the SIM, the voicemail chime sounded once, but not a second time, and it still stays on the one bar/"Invalid SIM" if I toggle airplane mode.