+ Reply
Page 1 of 12 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T will unlock phones now

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, My phone is locked to AT&T and being in Australia that was a killer for the iphone 3GS I bought. AT&T never responded to my request to unlock but
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default AT&T will unlock phones now
    Hi, My phone is locked to AT&T and being in Australia that was a killer for the iphone 3GS I bought. AT&T never responded to my request to unlock but this new articles seems to indicate they will do it now:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04...one_unlocking/
    Good luck to all those that are in my situation.
    Last edited by sparker1; 04-06-2012 at 10:27 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sparker1 For This Useful Post:

Daggerfall (04-12-2012)

Thanks

If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

4. The Following User Says Thank You to celeron For This Useful Post:

Daggerfall (04-12-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not the original owner of my iphone - i bought it off some dude on ebay. I wonder if they'll unlock it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the87th View Post
    I'm not the original owner of my iphone - i bought it off some dude on ebay. I wonder if they'll unlock it?
    Neither am I. I have asked though. We'll see what they say, that is, if they answer at all.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Cmds187's Avatar
    Thanks

Has anybody on this site had this done yet

Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,640 Posts

AtNt will not unlock iPhones if you are not the original owner under contract.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    AtNt will not unlock iPhones if you are not the original owner under contract.
    100% wrong. I just got off the phone with them, and they're going to email me the unlock instructions. I specifically asked the AT&T rep if it's ok that I am not (and have never been) and AT&T customer, and he said it was just fine. They only check whether the original owner meets their qualifications or whatever.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the87th For This Useful Post:

Daggerfall (04-12-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

100% wrong. I just got off the phone with them, and they're going to email me the unlock instructions. I specifically asked the AT&T rep if it's ok that I am not (and have never been) and AT&T customer, and he said it was just fine. They only check whether the original owner meets their qualifications or whatever.
    So as long as you have an ATT wireless account with an iphone 4 (and out of contract), you can request an unlock? At least that's what I'm getting from all these articles I'm reading.

If i have, say, a family member, or a friend that's on ATT, I can essentially ask them to request an unlock for my iphone 4? Or is it a little more complicated than that? (as everything always is)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xero87 View Post
    So as long as you have an ATT wireless account with an iphone 4 (and out of contract), you can request an unlock? At least that's what I'm getting from all these articles I'm reading.

If i have, say, a family member, or a friend that's on ATT, I can essentially ask them to request an unlock for my iphone 4? Or is it a little more complicated than that? (as everything always is)
    You only need an AT&T account if you want to do it ONLINE. if you call them, you don't need an AT&T account at all, only and iphone IMEI which is locked by AT&T. That's what I just did. I haven't heard back yet... but they said it takes 1-2 business days to unlock, so we'll see. I'll post here and confirm/deny what happens.

EDIT: I guess i should add that there are other stipulations to actually getting the phone unlocked: google at&t iphone unlock to see what they are

Green Apple
    Thanks

You only need an AT&T account if you want to do it ONLINE. if you call them, you don't need an AT&T account at all, only and iphone IMEI which is locked by AT&T. That's what I just did. I haven't heard back yet... but they said it takes 1-2 business days to unlock, so we'll see. I'll post here and confirm/deny what happens.

EDIT: I guess i should add that there are other stipulations to actually getting the phone unlocked: google at&t iphone unlock to see what they are
    this sounds very promising. i've been reading reports of similar circumstances as well. For example, people buying their iphones off ebay and they're not on AT&T at all. I think I will give it a shot as well and report back.

I have an SBC global email account, from back in the SBC DSL days that I can use to login to the AT&T website. I'm wondering if that'll allow me to go through with the unlock process online via tech chat?

-edit-
    I'm also reading that up to 5 unlock codes will be given for each account.
    Last edited by xero87; 04-09-2012 at 12:02 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well my attempt didn't go too well. I can't find where to send the email so I sent one to their consumer section. Instead of passing it on to their relevant department they sent an email saying they don't handle that and gave me a web page for their wireless department. Once there you have to create an account with an AT&T phone number. I don't have that so I am lost in the vast bureaucracy of AT&T. I think, at the moment, the only way to unlock is by telephone. I'm going to wait a few weeks for the dust to settle and see whether email becomes an option by then.
    Last edited by sparker1; 04-09-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,167 Times in 6,639 Posts

They won't help you by email unless you have an AT&T account and email them logged into it. You would have to call them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    They won't help you by email unless you have an AT&T account and email them logged into it. You would have to call them.
    That was my experience. To have an AT&T account you need to have a phone number or whatever. It's a catch 22. I'm hoping it will change in time. In the meantime exploring other options.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Backstory: I'm using an iPhone 4 on T-Mobile, don't even have an AT&T account.

Just got off the phone with them. Told them I bought my phone off ebay and wanted to get it unlocked. Gave him my IMEI, he checked to see if the previous owner had anything that would disqualify me for getting an unlock. Everything checked out, and he said I should get an email with further instructions between 24-72 hours.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Good for you willryan42. Phoning them is the way to go but I can't justify a call from Australia for God knows how long and for a dubious outcome. Sigh......Oh for an email address that works with AT&T.

Edit: I have found an email address that works. This is the reply I got :

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T to request the unlocking code for the iPhone that you recently purchased so you can use it in Australia. My name is Xxxxxxxx, and I am happy to help you with your inquiry.

I have filed a case to obtain the subsidy unlock code for your iPhone. The case number is: xxxxxxxx. The estimated time of resolution is xxxxx. You will be contacted by email once this case is resolved.

Please note: My filing the case is not a guarantee that we will be able to obtain the code, but we will certainly work to do so. Because we have previously been unable to get unlock codes for iPhone devices, we currently have a large number of similar cases, so it may take a bit longer than the date listed above for us to obtain the code. We appreciate your patience.

I am glad that I was able to assist you today. Should you have additional concerns or questions about this issue please reply to this email. Thank you for contacting AT&T. I hope you have a great day.

The address I used was AT&T Email Customer Care for Wireless <[email protected]>
    Last edited by sparker1; 04-09-2012 at 11:01 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sparker1 For This Useful Post:

GnatGoSplat (04-10-2012)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I used support chat and had to wait for 2hours. Finally, got one iPhone 4 approved (waiting for an email instruction 04/17). Another iPhone 4 I bought from Craigslist got a decline. After checking the IMEI, the support personnel asked me to fax in proof of purchase. I told her I bought it from Craigslist and paid cash. She didn't give me the exact reason but hint either a stolen or unpaid bills... 8-((

dvn
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default ATT will unlock your off contact iPhone
    I did call them yesterday and here what told me:
    1. Your iPhone has to be off contract iPhone (1 or 2 years ) from ATT. Since Mine was not until august 2012 so they will not unlock mine
    2. They have to have record of your iPhone purchased from them otherwise they will ask for the receipt.
    That is all the required

Thanks

I tried this for my mom's iphone 4 and my iphone 4s. I used my mom's upgrade for my 4s because i'm going to study abroad so didn't want to get into a contract and pay for a year of no used service. I tried with my mom's iphone 4 first and they rejected. Since my 4s was activated under my mom's number, they said the activate contract isn't expired until 10/8/2013 so i have to wait until then to unlock my mom's iphone 4. My line is out of contract so asked them if they could check out my 4s eligibility. Since the imei is tied to my phone number and I don't have a contract, they unlocked my 4s (have to wait for the 17th).
    iPhone 4S 64GB White 5.1 UL | i7 Hackintosh 3.5 Ghz 32GB/ 2x128GB SSD, 2x1TB HD, 2x3TB HD, 2TB HD 10.7.3

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I just tried emailing them. Got my iPhone 4 almost a year ago, brand new in shrinkwrap from a seller on another forum. Warranty didn't even start till I connected it to iTunes the first time. Considering it was never activated with AT&T, I'm curious what they will tell me!

UPDATE: Got an email response from AT&T. They were not as friendly with me as they were to sparker1.

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T regarding requesting your unlock code for your iPhone. My name is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, and I am happy to help you with your inquiry.

After reviewing your e-mail and understanding your issue, I have verified that you may qualify to have your iPhone unlocked.

You must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for iPhone unlocking:
    Account cannot have a flag for excessive off-network roaming.
    Must be an eligible AT&T iPhone. AT&T can not unlock iPhones sold by a different carrier.
    Completion of 2-year service contract (service fulfillment must be met for IMEI associated with the unlock request).
    Exceptions: Verified military deployment, paid full retail or no commitment price, early upgrade, or canceled and paid ETF.
    iPhone associated to the unlock request must not be reported lost or stolen.
    Additional requirements for certain customer types and scenarios:
    Your account must be current and in good standing.
    You can not have a past due balance on an active account or an unpaid balance or ETF on a canceled account.
    May only receive up to five unlock requests per account per 12-month period.
    Must have proof of purchase for no commitment sale. Valid proof of purchase includes:
    o Receipt from AT&T or an AT&T authorized indirect dealer/agent showing price and device information.
    o Transfer of ownership letter (usually provided for prize winners or sales awards) from manufacturer showing specific device information.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, again, we thank you for allowing us the opportunity to assist you with your account. If you would like to proceed with verifying if you are eligible to unlock your iPhone please contact our customer service department at (800) 331-0500. Their hours of operation are Mon-Fri: 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. Sat-Sun: 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. your local time. Should you have additional concerns or questions about this issue please reply to this email. Again, my name is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and if you need to contact us again regarding a new issue please sends us a new email via the contact link through your online account. As always, thank you for choosing AT&T!

I encourage you to visit our web site (www.att.com/wireless) often to view current and previous monthly statements, make payments and to shop for new product and service offerings.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    AT&T
    Online Customer Care Professional
    Last edited by GnatGoSplat; 04-10-2012 at 02:38 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone samson_420's Avatar
    Thanks

Just talked to them. It just needs a clean IMEI, meaning contract was met and it is not reported lost/stolen.

You don't have to be a current customer, they will do it.

This is nuts, I never thought I would see this day.

The process is fair considering.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=129676&dateline=12338  68848