+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trouble unlocking and Jailbreaking with iPhone 3gs

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
HELP anyone, I bought an iPhone 3gs from overseas it was unlocked and jailbroken before I received the phone. My daughter updated the phone via iTunes and has now locked
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Trouble unlocking and Jailbreaking with iPhone 3gs
    HELP anyone, I bought an iPhone 3gs from overseas it was unlocked and jailbroken before I received the phone.
    My daughter updated the phone via iTunes and has now locked the phone. So I have downloaded all the tools required
    RedsnOw_mac_0.96, iPhone2.1__4.2.1_8C148a_ Restore.ipw. With all this I am unable to unlock my phone.
    I'm not sure of my firmware or band. I think it has the 4.2.1 and don't know the band. Currently the phone will not activate at all, so I am unable to go into any settings to check my firmware. I have been able to find that this phone is a 2009 model in it's 26th week, does this mean it's the older version or the newer, how do I find out? This may sound confusing - sorry - not good with this stuff, and have already spent all weekend trying to figure it out. You guys are my last hope.

Thanks

If your phone has been updated in iTunes the BaseBand will have been updated so you can't unlock. You can't downgrade the baseband so no point in trying to downgrade your firmware.
    Your only hope to unlock is a hardware solution which I know nothing about, maybe someone else can help.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Brittlee1 (03-25-2012)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brittlee1 View Post
    HELP anyone, I bought an iPhone 3gs from overseas it was unlocked and jailbroken before I received the phone.
    My daughter updated the phone via iTunes and has now locked the phone. So I have downloaded all the tools required
    RedsnOw_mac_0.96, iPhone2.1__4.2.1_8C148a_ Restore.ipw. With all this I am unable to unlock my phone.
    I'm not sure of my firmware or band. I think it has the 4.2.1 and don't know the band. Currently the phone will not activate at all, so I am unable to go into any settings to check my firmware. I have been able to find that this phone is a 2009 model in it's 26th week, does this mean it's the older version or the newer, how do I find out? This may sound confusing - sorry - not good with this stuff, and have already spent all weekend trying to figure it out. You guys are my last hope.
    It's a new bootrom but it's an old baseband model according to what your saying so you COULD unlock it with an iPad baseband if you wanted, however you would loose gps, if your not bothered about that then your ok but just to double check, what's the 3rd, 4th & 5th digits on the serial number?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My 3rd, 4th, and 5th digits are 926

My 3rd, 4th, and 5th digits of my serial numbers are 926

Thanks

My 3rd, 4th, and 5th digits are 926

My 3rd, 4th, and 5th digits of my serial numbers are 926
    Ok, and in the same place, what does it say the modem firmware is? (this is the baseband your on).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

These digits were taken from the sim card holder inside the phone, I am unable to access any of my information on the phone,
    no icons settings, etc.

Thanks

These digits were taken from the sim card holder inside the phone, I am unable to access any of my information on the phone,
    no icons settings, etc.
    Ahhhh... Hang on... Your daughter updated it in iTunes??

And it's on the activate screen....

On your mac... go to
    ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

That should give you an idea what IPSW it was updated to...
    Last edited by Susty; 03-25-2012 at 03:08 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The phone was unlocked, and jailbroken when I bought it, had the phone for a year, no problems, until my daughter restored phone via iTunes. Now the phone won't let me go past activation, so I am limited with info

Thanks

If you check that path on your mac... Should give you an idea... I think going by what your saying, it was software unlocked (through having an old baseband) & now it's been updated, it's lost that...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

On iTunes it just states the phone is an iPhone and everything else has N/A on each column

Thanks

On iTunes it just states the phone is an iPhone and everything else has N/A on each column
    What about looking on your mac? Because when the update was done, iTunes would have downloaded the Ipsw first before upgrading

Therefore on your mac located somewhere will be the Ipsw iTunes used to upgrade the 3GS... That way you'll know for sure what version it is (though dare I say if it was recently, it'll be 5.1).