+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 4 01.59.00 4.1(8B117) -> iOS 5 with software unlock?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
hi would appreciate some clarification with this as i don't want to lose the precious 01.59.00 modem firmware. I have an iphone 4 01.59.00 running version 4.1(8B117) jailbroken with redsn0w
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iphone 4 01.59.00 4.1(8B117) -> iOS 5 with software unlock?
    hi
    would appreciate some clarification with this as i don't want to lose the precious 01.59.00 modem firmware.

I have an iphone 4 01.59.00 running version 4.1(8B117) jailbroken with redsn0w and unlocked with ultrasn0w (using Mac).
    Is it possible to upgrade to iOS 5 or above and maintain the 01.59.00 baseband and still successfully jailbreak and unlock? ie using pwnagetool or redsnow and creating a custom IPSW?
    The uncertainty is in the sequence of steps (ie how do i get to iOS 5... before or after creating custom IPSW for 4.1?) and whether or not apple is signing 5.0.1 has any bearing on this process...
    Any help or a step-by-step guide would be greatly appreciated!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Munchyman View Post
    hi
    would appreciate some clarification with this as i don't want to lose the precious 01.59.00 modem firmware.

I have an iphone 4 01.59.00 running version 4.1(8B117) jailbroken with redsn0w and unlocked with ultrasn0w (using Mac).
    Is it possible to upgrade to iOS 5 or above and maintain the 01.59.00 baseband and still successfully jailbreak and unlock? ie using pwnagetool or redsnow and creating a custom IPSW?
    The uncertainty is in the sequence of steps (ie how do i get to iOS 5... before or after creating custom IPSW for 4.1?) and whether or not apple is signing 5.0.1 has any bearing on this process...
    Any help or a step-by-step guide would be greatly appreciated!
    Yes it's totally possible to preserve the baseband & go up to ios 5... However to have 5.0.1 untethered, you'd need shsh's saved as apple closed the signing so if you look at cydia & see 5.0.1 along the top, your in luck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In reply to my own question:
    Can I simply download iOS 5.0.1 IPSW firmware from somewhere, run pwnagetool 5.0.1, select the downloaded firmware, build a custom firmware, option restore my iphone using the created custom firmware, then re-jailbreak (redsn0w?) and unlock (ultrasn0w)?

Thanks

If not, then you could take it to 5.1 tethered for now or remain on 4.1 until 5.1 untether is released

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susty View Post
    Yes it's totally possible to preserve the baseband & go up to ios 5... However to have 5.0.1 untethered, you'd need shsh's saved as apple closed the signing so if you look at cydia & see 5.0.1 along the top, your in luck
    Agreed. You need shsh blobs to go to any previous firmwares with that baseband. No shsh blobs then you're stuck where you are or updating to 5.1 and losing that precious baseband. STAY AWAY from 5.1!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cydia is not showing saved SHSHs along the top. However, I have tinyumbrella SHSHs saved only up to 4.3.5(8L1). I guess I'm unable to get to 5.x, right?

As an aside, what if I simply want to wipe all the data off this iphone 4 01.59.00 and rejailbreak/unlock? what's the sequence of steps for that while preserving the baseband?
    Last edited by Munchyman; 03-24-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Munchyman View Post
    Cydia is not showing saved SHSHs along the top. However, I have tinyumbrella SHSHs saved only up to 4.3.5(8L1). I guess I'm unable to get to 5.x, right?
    Sorry to say... But yeah Best bet is to stay on what your on t the moment, once an untethered jb for 5.1 is out, then you can do a baseband preserve & go to that.