+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS, older model, 5.0.1, 05.16.05, Unlockable?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
AT&T 3GS Serial 87008xxxxxx Version 5.0.1 Modem Firmware 05.16.05 I want to get it working untethered on T-Mobile. From what I understand, that means iPad Baseband. I have no SHSHs.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3GS, older model, 5.0.1, 05.16.05, Unlockable?
    AT&T 3GS
    Serial 87008xxxxxx
    Version 5.0.1
    Modem Firmware 05.16.05

I want to get it working untethered on T-Mobile.
    From what I understand, that means iPad Baseband.
    I have no SHSHs.

Do I have any options?

Since I don't have 5.0.1 SHSHs, do I have to wait for a 5.1 untethered jailbreak if I want to be on iOS 5?
    Can I go back to 4.1? Tinyumbrella is showing a SHSH for 4.1, though I don't recall saving it.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,785 Times in 6,878 Posts

You are already on 5.0.1. Stay there and jailbreak with redsnow. Install the iPad baseband at the same time as Cydia if you want to unlock.

You can extract your 5.0.1 shsh with iFaith for later use. iFaith can get the shsh off the device for whatever firmware is currently installed on it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok excellent.

I've been through all this before...but not since I myself had a 3GS back in...wow it's been almost 2 years.

I don't need a detailed step by step (yet), but what order do I do everything in?

Is it:
    iFaith to get the SHSHs
    Then Redsn0w with the saved SHSH to go from 5.01 to 5.01 custom
    Then Cydia to do the iPad baseband

If so:
    Any known issues running iFaith under Parallels?
    and...
    Can I transfer the data from iFaith to Tinyumbrella to complete the rest in OS X, or do I need to do the whole thing in Windows?

Thanks much!

Thanks

Why do you need to restore it if you are on 5.0.1 already? Just redsnow to jailbreak an install the iPad baseband and you are done.

You can save your 5.0.1 shsh at any time as long as you stay on 5.0.1. So no real rush for that. As far as I know iFaith should work in parallels. The process for that is saving the shsh then making a custom 5.0.1 firmware with the shsh stitched into it. All done with iFaith itself. You can then take that custom stitched 5.0.1 firmware and restore to it in the Mac if you want.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks! Seemed to work like a charm. Now to find a t-mobile SIM to test it with...

Thanks

No prob

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok I actually did hit two little snags.

1 - How can I tell if this thing is unlocked? I have an OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOld t-mobile SIM (Pre 3G, hasn't had service for 6+ years) that I stuck in, and the iPhone says "Searching" and then "No Service." That means it's accepted the t-mobile SIM, there's just not active service on this SIM right?

2 - I can't get iFaith to actually dump the SHSH blobs. It tries to do the limera1n thing and then the phone just boots like normal. Do I need to "Unactivate" in redsn0w to make it possible for the iFaith to work or something? Or do you think it's an issue with Parallels?

Thanks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viggin View Post
    Ok I actually did hit two little snags.

1 - How can I tell if this thing is unlocked? I have an OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOld t-mobile SIM (Pre 3G, hasn't had service for 6+ years) that I stuck in, and the iPhone says "Searching" and then "No Service." That means it's accepted the t-mobile SIM, there's just not active service on this SIM right?

2 - I can't get iFaith to actually dump the SHSH blobs. It tries to do the limera1n thing and then the phone just boots like normal. Do I need to "Unactivate" in redsn0w to make it possible for the iFaith to work or something? Or do you think it's an issue with Parallels?

Thanks!
    1. Correct, otherwise it would come up with invalid sim

I believe from memory atleast

2. Can you use TinyUmbrella to pull off the shsh & store locally to your machine that way? I find that to be effective.
    Last edited by Susty; 03-23-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks

Tiny umbrella cannot pull the SHSH directly off the device like iFaith can.

When going into DFU for iFaith to do its thing keep holding the home button until iFaith is done getting your SHSH.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Tiny umbrella cannot pull the SHSH directly off the device like iFaith can.

When going into DFU for iFaith to do its thing keep holding the home button until iFaith is done getting your SHSH.
    Ahhh... Point... RedSn0w can though

Extras> SHSH blobs>Fetch

Thanks

Yup, redsnow can too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Welp! Instead of sitting around and waiting for a reply I tried to fix it myself.

Parallels and iFaith seem incompatible, for what it's worth. Even though Parallels is setup to intercept the iPhone every time immediately, there's still a layer of virtualization in there. And in this case it's just enough of a barrier that it doesn't work.

Fortunately, I just received an ancient Dell Laptop from my brother-in-law for such an occasion. (And to sit in a closet and run iTunes for iTunes Home Sharing / Apple TV).

So I booted it up, installed iTunes and iFaith, voila!

Then I came back here and read that redsn0w could save the SHSH Blobs all along. So I hooked the 3GS back up to my Mac and went that route too.

Done and done!

I tracked down my one friend on tmobile and arranged to test a SIM tomorrow just in case, before I shop this thing off. But it looks like it was all a success. Thanks again for your help everyone. There's tons of information out there on this stuff, but it changes so rapidly (and there are so many possible variables...old chipset, new chipset, old modem firmware, new modem firmware, iOS version, etc. etc.) that it's hard to keep it all straight unless you keep up with it. And there's no thumbsup on this forum, so this will have to do -- (Even though she didn't check in on this one)

Thanks

Fair play Atleast it looks like your sorted