Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bought a dead, junk 3GS, fixed it. Now it wants Passcode!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Bought a dead, junk 3GS, fixed it. Now it wants Passcode!
    Hi all,

I bought a dead iPhone from a fellow, who in turn had bought it on eBay and, he said, tried futilely to fix it himself. Well, I've heard worse stories. It showed signs of having been opened before, possibly many times. Pressing buttons did no good - it remained dead.

I plugged it into my charger. Then, when I hit the Sleep/Wake switch, it showed nothing but a rather dim "Battery" picture on the screen, with nothing but a narrow red band on the left side. It was pretty clearly telling me that the battery was dead. I left it on the charger overnight (this charger works very well with my normal 3GS, charges it up in a few hours). But the dead iPhone still showed that almost-dead battery symbol the next morning, and would do nothing else.

Bit the bullet and ordered a new battery. When I opened the iPhone, I saw one cable that appeared to be not connected. Hmm. Took the phone apart, replaced the battery, put it together, and connected all cables as well as I could.

Now I hit the Sleep/wake switch, the Apple logo appeared (first time!) and it woke up! Showed maybe 50% battery charge, which is a vast improvement. It's on my office charger now, and battery charge has climbed to 61% so far. We're in business!

Except now it's asking for a passcode.

Let's just say that the guy I bought it from (in the parking lot of a local burger joint at night for cash, 'nuff said) might be pretty hard to reach, and he probably doesn't know the passcode himself.

Is there anything more I can do to bring this phone into the world? Or have I run into the immovable object now?

Is there some kind of "Master reset" that can get past this Passcode request? Reset to original factory values, or something like that? I don't mind opening the case again if I need to.

Or do I now have a paperweight with a new battery?

dfu mode, determine old/new bootrom and flash with custom 5.1 (or 4.1)?
    Last edited by ikkoku; 03-13-2012 at 01:53 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ikkoku For This Useful Post:

Little-Acorn (03-13-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ikkoku View Post
    dfu mode, determine old/new bootrom and flash with custom 5.1 (or 4.1)?
    Haven't tried that, thanks!

Will this definitely get it going? Or is it just a suggestion on what I might try next, that "might" get around the passcode request?

(I'll still give it a try, couldn't hurt I guess.)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm not worried about preserving whatever information is on this phone now. It's someone else's info, I don't want it. But just in case it has an older baseband that is unlockable, I hope this DFU session doesn't automatically update that to a new - and non-unlockable - version. Ditto for the iOS.

I've heard that DFU stands for "Device Firmware Update" or something close to that. Is this updating automatic, or does it ask you what you want to update it to?

If I have to, OK, I'll update it to the latest-and-greatest, if that's the only way to make a working phone out of it. But it would be nice if I can do it in a way that leaves it unlockable.

custom firmware will preserve the baseband. If you have old bootrom, you should be able to jailbreak (and unlock if applicable) 5.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I put it into DFU mode last night and restored it to factory original settings, or so iTunes told me. It was a little cranky, kept timing out on me for some reason. Finally succeeded on the 5th try. When I told it to restore, the only software it offered was 5.1 (not 5.0.1). So I figured What the hell, this is just a junk phone, if it winds up non-unlockable, I'll still be happy as long as it works.

Five tries later, I believe the restore is finished. The Apple logo appeared, then it started acting like a phone... and complained that the iPhone I was trying to activate, didn't have a SIM card (true), so I'm stuck again.

Since it's now restored, I assume that any jailbreaking it might have had (I don't know) is now gone, and it's back to being a loyal AT&T customer again, correct? Meaning that if I try to put my T-Mobile SIM card in it, it will just say "Invalid SIM card" or something equally obnoxious, and still not work. I wish I could at least get it to the point where it will tell me what baseband it has, and maybe whether it's a newer or older bootrom.

Is it now at the point where jailbreaking would be a good idea? More importantly, since I guess it now has iOS 5.1 (not 5.0.1), is this phone jailbreakable at all? Or did Apple finally come up with an un-jailbreakable version of iOS?

You can jailbreak using redsn0w - iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using RedSn0w (Windows) [5.1]

but looking at this article - iClarified - iPhone - How to Upgrade Your iPhone to iOS 5.1 Without Updating Your Baseband (Win), seems like you're stuck with an AT&T locked phone, since you've already upgraded to 5.1 without preserving the baseband.

You should have not upgraded to the 5.1 firmware but 5.0.1.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sibot View Post
    You can jailbreak using redsn0w - iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using RedSn0w (Windows) [5.1]

but looking at this article - iClarified - iPhone - How to Upgrade Your iPhone to iOS 5.1 Without Updating Your Baseband (Win), seems like you're stuck with an AT&T locked phone, since you've already upgraded to 5.1 without preserving the baseband.

You should have not upgraded to the 5.1 firmware but 5.0.1.
    Thanks for the info, sibot. Yep, I wish I'd known a lot of this earlier, but it's part of the eddicayshun process I guess. Good to know about Redsn0w - it's now on my shopping list.

Where do I get a copy of iOS 5.0.1? The only one iTunes offered, was 5.1.

BTW, on many 3GS's they are unlocked with a new baseband in place 06.15.00, the iPod baseband. On another 3GS I have, the 32GB I've been using for a few months now, it is unlocked with that iPod baseband, and it runs fine on T-Mobile. Bad news is, the GPS chip is apparently not working, which I understand is one of the things that baseband does.

Back to this "junk" 3GS 16GB: Now that it has iOS 5.1 (not 5.0.1), if I jailbreak it with Redsn0w as you mentioned, can it be unlocked with that iPod baseband 06.15.00? An unlocked 3GS with a disabled GPS chip, may be better than a non-unlocked one. Maybe.
    Last edited by Little-Acorn; 03-14-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Now you've upgraded to 5.1 it's only a tethered jailbreak at the moment which means, every time you turn off the phone, you have to re start the phone in DFU mode plugged into the computer using redsnOw, to enable cydia functionality. You can check badeband number in settings/general/about. ( you sound new at this rolling back your IOS and looking for your SH's if they exist might be a struggle).basically now your only choice is to use the iPad baseband to unlock which is in resn0w..it's hit and miss Wether it screws up GPS..but long and short is your tethered for now unless you want to wait a few weeks for the untethered to surface or try and find if you have Sh's. Using tiny umbrella or Ifaith.
    Once your jailbroken ultrasn0w will not work by itself on 5.1 you need something called ultrasn0w fixer until ultrasn0w is updated for 5.1, I hear it's gonna Be soon.
    Last edited by Faum72; 03-14-2012 at 02:50 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Brought the phone to an AT&T store, and they activated it, almost to fast for me to follow! Cool, now it looks like a live and kicking iPhone! Still without SIM card. They briefly put in their own SIM card, and I saw lots of iPhone-like things. Way cool!

It has iOS 5.1, and baseband 05.16.05. Carrier is AT&T, no surprise after I did the full factory restore.

I gather this is jailbreakable now, but not unlockable, correct? At least until someone figures out how to unlock iOS 5.1? (Has anybody figured that out? )
    Last edited by Little-Acorn; 03-14-2012 at 05:27 PM.

that's why I recommended flashing with a custom firmware to preserve the baseband

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
    Thanks for the info, sibot. Yep, I wish I'd known a lot of this earlier, but it's part of the eddicayshun process I guess. Good to know about Redsn0w - it's now on my shopping list.

Where do I get a copy of iOS 5.0.1? The only one iTunes offered, was 5.1.

BTW, on many 3GS's they are unlocked with a new baseband in place 06.15.00, the iPod baseband. On another 3GS I have, the 32GB I've been using for a few months now, it is unlocked with that iPod baseband, and it runs fine on T-Mobile. Bad news is, the GPS chip is apparently not working, which I understand is one of the things that baseband does.

Back to this "junk" 3GS 16GB: Now that it has iOS 5.1 (not 5.0.1), if I jailbreak it with Redsn0w as you mentioned, can it be unlocked with that iPod baseband 06.15.00? An unlocked 3GS with a disabled GPS chip, may be better than a non-unlocked one. Maybe.
    You can download 5.0.1 (3GS) from here - http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...5_Restore.ipsw
    By rule, iTunes will only offer you the official latest iPhone firmware update, not the old ones, but you can readily find them online and download them.

But now that you're on 5.1, I'd suggest you wait and see if Ultrasn0w releases an update to unlock the 5.1 BB or any future BB upgrades.

What you stand to lose if you install the iPad BB is that you will lose GPS capabilities and the ability to upgrade to any BB tied upgrades. So I were you, I wouldn't do it. As far as I know, there is no way to get the GPS back once you've got on the iPad BB.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

They can remove the password for u in the apple store I believe