Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS - Jailbreaking a "factory unlocked" phone

Question iPhone 3GS - Jailbreaking a "factory unlocked" phone
    Hi,

Here is a tough nut to crack (whodunnit, or maybe I am just a newbie). (Phone details in attached screenshot)

1. Factory unlocked iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0, not jailbroken - I used to use this with multiple SIMs across countries with no problems.
    Then...
    2. Phone develops a problem with the screen, I go to Apple Store, they replace the phone. I restore my older phone's backup onto this and am back in business. I hadn't tried another SIM on this, just the one that I was using most of the time (Airtel, India).
    3. I smashed the stack for fun and profit, and jailbroke using redsn0w on a untethered jailbreak. Somewhere in the guide it mentioned that if you need to maintain your unlock, create a custom IPSW and use the one with NO_BB, and that's what I did. Phone never recovered from an endless "restore" cycle, so entered DFU and used a normal IPSW. Everything went ahead as it should.
    4. I come to the US, try and AT&T sim, no luck (invalid SIM, SIM failure, No service) - tried reboots, toggle airplane mode, etc. No luck. Tried a T-mobile SIM, no luck. Tried my India Airtel SIM on roaming, that continued to work fine.

The above make me conclude that the phone is locked (Is this assumption / conclusion correct?). The question is, did I FUBAR it, or did Apple store replace my earlier phone with a locked model (since they asked me what carrier I was with and asked me for my SIM)? Just so you know, the 3GS was never sold locked in India, unlike in the US.

Questions:
    1. If you look at the screenshot, it mentions "Airtel" even without a SIM in it. Does this indicate something in any way? I do not have another iPhone handy, so if someone else could tell me what it says on factory unlocked phones without a SIM, that'll be great!.
    2. Is it possible that by using a normal IPSW I ended up locking my factoring unlocked phone?
    3. I did not save SHSH blobs (realised too late what they were - told ya I am the newbie) - apart from using the iPad baseband, is there a way for my provider to unlock my phone?

Appreciate your comments on this one! Many thanks!

Calvin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo.png  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Apple probably switched you a locked iphone, you should go back and fix this problem.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

crazycalvin (03-10-2012)

Thanks iYeow, it is heartening to hear that.

Would it be possible to answer questions 1 and 2 above?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Apple probably switched you a locked iphone, you should go back and fix this problem.

i have an IMEI unlocked ip4. i believe its identical to a factory unlocked ip4. so, i'll answer questions 1 and 2

1. If you look at the screenshot, it mentions "Airtel" even without a SIM in it. Does this indicate something in any way? I do not have another iPhone handy, so if someone else could tell me what it says on factory unlocked phones without a SIM, that'll be great!.

before removing my sim card, carrier says AT&T 11.0. then i removed the sim and rebooted. it still remains the same with AT&T 11.0 as carrier.

2. Is it possible that by using a normal IPSW I ended up locking my factoring unlocked phone?

i've upgraded from 4.01 --> 5.01 with standard ipsw and my baseband is now 04.11.08. im still unlocked

more then likely, they replaced your factory unlocked iphone with a non factory unlocked iphone. but i believe ATT and or Apple can fix this for you. if you can prove that your initial iphone was factory unlocked, they can unlock you current phone. Apple just needs to submit your IMEI to there white list and Itunes will unlock your phone.
    Last edited by daytonaviolet; 03-11-2012 at 10:13 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to daytonaviolet For This Useful Post:

crazycalvin (03-11-2012)

Many thanks! That clears up things, and I should be able to walk into the Apple store with panache!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Correct #1 is carrier setting
    #2 once is factory unlocked no matter how you restore your iphone is still factory unlocked

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

crazycalvin (03-12-2012)