Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G upgrade and unlock doubt

Default iPhone 3G upgrade and unlock doubt
    Hi Friends,

I have an iphone 3G with 3.0. software and 4.26.08 modem firmware. The phone is locked to AT&T and unlocked using ultrasnow to use in my country. I would like to update the phone now without updating the baseband. I dont want the ipad baseband as it ruins the gps. I came across a method (Link is given below) to update to 4.2.1 using Snowbreez and preserve the baseband. But i just want to make sure this method is reliable. Will i get my 4.26.08 baseband and 4.2.1 software if use this method?

Link: How to Preserve Baseband, Jailbreak, Unlock iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G on 4.2.1 Using PwnageTool 4.2 / Sn0wbreeze 2.2 [Video] | Redmond Pie

Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks

Yes it will, as long as you follow that method exactly it should keep your baseband, BUT I do not think you should update your iPhone to 4.2.1 because the iPhone 3G basically sucks on iOS 4. It lags really bad and stuff. If you are set on updating, then I would suggest to just update it to 3.1.3, which is generally the same thing to preserve baseband. You probably don't even need to preserve baseband on iOS 3.1.3, it can be unlocked without using iPad Baseband.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Goof For This Useful Post:

Rinki Garg (03-03-2012)

Thanks dude.. just one more doubt.. if i just want to try my luck with 4.2.1.. will it possible for me to come back to 3.1.3 using the same snow breeze?? i think i have to use Snowbreeze since i have to do the hacktivation..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amith007 View Post
    Thanks dude.. just one more doubt.. if i just want to try my luck with 4.2.1.. will it possible for me to come back to 3.1.3 using the same snow breeze?? i think i have to use Snowbreeze since i have to do the hacktivation..
    Yes, once you update to 3.1.3 and jailbreak your iPhone on 3.1.3, use TinyUmbrella to save the SHSH blobs on that version. Then if you update your iPhone to 4.2.1, and for any reason you don't like it, you can downgrade your iPhone back to 3.1.3 using the SHSH blobs.

Oh.. I have updated the device to 4.2.1 already without going to 3.1.3.. So I don't have the shsh blobs.. Does that mean I cant revert back to 3.1.3 anymore??

iPhone? More like MyPhone tito12's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry to contradict but you don't need blobs on 3G, you can downgrade to 3.1.3. See here Downgrade iOS 4 iPhone 3GS, 3G to iPhone 3.1.3 / 3.1.2 [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie

Quote Originally Posted by tito12 View Post
    Sorry to contradict but you don't need blobs on 3G, you can downgrade to 3.1.3. See here Downgrade iOS 4 iPhone 3GS, 3G to iPhone 3.1.3 / 3.1.2 [How to Guide] | Redmond Pie
    Thanks a ton buddy.. :-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone tito12's Avatar
    Thanks

Glad to help