Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone on Straighttalk

Default iPhone on Straighttalk
    Hey guys. I am such a green horn at the hacking thing. Anyway, here's my problem, I hope you can help. I bought an iPhone 3g and an iPhone 3gs for my two boys. I want to use straighttalk on them, I bought a straighttalk sim card and installed them (they are both at&t phones). I tried to go to the APN settings to configure them for straighttalk, but it only shows VPN option. I called AT&T and they sent me to apple who sent me right back to at&t. They said they weren't eligible for "unlock" at this time. So, my question is, am I supposed to jailbreak then unlock them (all the "pwang", bb,...all foreign to me)? And will they work on straighttalk? I have no idea where to start. I know the 3g is 4.2.1, not sure about the 3gs yet. Can you please help? Thank you in advance.

Another question, what is the difference between tethered and untethered? Tethered doesn't mean I have to connect the phone to the computer to re-boot after it has been turned off, does it?
    Last edited by bbbotwell; 02-20-2012 at 08:59 PM.

what is the ios and bb of the two phones? if they are locked to ATT and if your carrier is not ATT, then you'll need to unlock them. yes to your tethered question.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wanted to know the same thing....I've jailbroke my 3g phone. It's running 4.2.1 software and the baseband is the 5.15.04. I'm not aware of any SIM cards with Straight Talk. If ST has SIM cards where do you get them? I know in order for it to work I have to upgrade the baseband to 16.0, but before I try it I'd like to know about the SIM card stuff.

i've been reading about straight talk on other forums.. it appears that you can run the straight talk sim on an ATT locked iphone. straight talk piggy backs ATT's network and does not require an unlock since it thinks.. its still ATT. but lock or unlocked iphone.. it will work

some people purchased the nokia e71 and activated it on straight talk and then simply transfered the sim over to the iphone with no problems. i beileve this e71 has 3g and uses data. i think it would be easier to just purchase the ATT compatiable sim card from here.
    Last edited by daytonaviolet; 02-24-2012 at 04:14 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I talked to Straight Talk today and they do indeed have SIM cards for the iPhones and other GSM phones. Unlocked, or AT&T compatible. So I ordered the SIM card and I'm gonna give them a try. Best thing is I don't have to mess with the baseband and I'm just going to use the compatible card, but leave the phone jailbroke.
    Last edited by w30olds; 02-24-2012 at 06:32 PM.

do tell us about 3G speeds and call reception

Quote Originally Posted by w30olds View Post
    I talked to Straight Talk today and they do indeed have SIM cards for the iPhones and other GSM phones. Unlocked, or AT&T compatible. So I ordered the SIM card and I'm gonna give them a try. Best thing is I don't have to mess with the baseband and I'm just going to use the compatible card, but leave the phone jailbroke.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    do tell us about 3G speeds and call reception
    Will Do!