+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I need some help deciding what to do with my phone...

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I need some help deciding what to do with my phone...
    I´ve had a jailbroken and unlocked phone for while and decided this week to try and upgrade my firmware to 5.0.1. It was unsuccessful so I have reinstalled 4.3.1 but now have the "The SIM Card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported...only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone.

Im nervous about what to do next because Im IT illiterate and not really sure if ´hactivation´using redsn0w is what I need to do. I believe that it´s a Movistar (Spain) phone and I´m quite willing to obtain a Movistar SIM and continue to us it. It was previously unlocked successfully using an Orange (Spain) SIM.

PHONE DETAILS
    iPhone: 3GS
    Device: MC157Y/B (Movistar, Spain)
    Firmware: 4.3.1
    Baseband: 06.15.00-4_M3S2
    Bootroom: 359.3.2

PC DETAILS
    Windows 7 (been running programs in XP and admin modes)
    Sn0wbreeze 2.9.1
    Tiny Umbrella 5.10.06

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

If I buy a new SIM from Movistar, will it be as simple as putting it in and connecting to iTunes? Is it that simple?

If I do this, is it possible to obtain the latest official itunes firmware without any problems? (I miss my GPS signal a bit). This means having the phone unjailbroken and locked right?

If I restore to official itunes firmware, can I still jailbreak if I choose to? (I might miss the jailbreak apps more than the GPS). From what I´ve read I couldn´t re-unlock it.

If I want to carry on using it on Orange SIM (phone model is Movistar), what are the next steps. Redsn0w v0.9.6.rc9?

Thanks in advance guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

For your case, since you haVe ipad bb altready installed , restore to custom firmware of 5.0.1 created by snowbreeze 2.9.1 or N0_bb custom ipsw created by redsn0w 0.9.10b5 .
    You need to put ipjone into pwned dfu first before restore .
    Do not use tiNy umbrella to verify your blob , let apple verify it.
    Make sure your hosts file is not pointed towards cydia server.
    ITunes must be atleast 10.5.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes u can use the original carriers sim card 2 activate it easily,doesn't have 2 be the sim that came with phone,just same network.also if u use the phone carriers sim 2 activate rather than hacktivate then ur FaceTime and iMessage will be activated