+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G stuck in recovery mode loop

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello, I am new to forums so sorry if this is in the wrong place or the information is wrong. Here is my problem: Yesterday I was given a Jailbroken
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G stuck in recovery mode loop
    Hello,

I am new to forums so sorry if this is in the wrong place or the information is wrong.

Here is my problem:

Yesterday I was given a Jailbroken iPhone 3G and told to get everything off it as if it just came out of the factory (including the jailbreak). So I connected it to iTunes and clicked restore, iTunes went through the restore process and got about 75% through when it comes up with the error message 1015.

I tried to use tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode and it says that it has and the iPhone restarts back into recovery mode. I also used iReb and got the same results.

I tried something to do with DFU mode and Shift+Click restore in iTunes with both 4.1 and 4.2.1 (as I don't know what version or baseband the iPhone was on).

I also tried to do a RedSnow Jailbreak and it goes up until it gets to "Replacing Kernel" on the iPhone then it freezes and restarts back into recovery mode.

I have literally been trying for 12 hours and have made no progress at all!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,227 Times in 6,987 Posts

See the error 1015 link in my signature

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Jordan2 (02-11-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for that, I now have the device working and have used Red Snow to Jail Break it...

Next problem I have is that (obviously) it's no longer unlocked and displays the "No Sim" message when there is a Vodafone UK Sim Card in (I believe that it's locked to Orange).

I can now also say that the Modem Firmware is 06.15.00 - I will continue to look at online tutorials on unlocking it and would love any help anyone can offer.

*Sorry about the editing there, my internet connected dropped and I got confused*.
    Last edited by Jordan2; 02-11-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks

If it is jailbroken just install ultrasnow from cydia to unlock.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have tried to download ultrasnow from Cydia and then the springboard restarts. When it comes back on it says "Searching..." instead of "No Sim". Then eventually it comes back up with "No Sim card installed" and then changes back to "No Sim".

Can't tell what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks

It shouldnt be saying no sim. Even if it was locked. Either something is wrong with the sim card you are trying to use or the phone has a hardware issue.

Try putting a different sim card in to see if the phone acknowledges that a sim card is in there and that can tell you which is the culprit.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried another sim card in the phone and nothing happened, and just to be sure I tried the sim card from the iPhone into another phone and it worked fine.

So although it was working before I guess it isn't now!

If only I had a small enough screwdriver to dissemble it and most likely do more damage than good...

Thanks for your help

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok, so there's a good chance something is amiss with the modem firmware now (have dealt with this a few times), what you can do is use redsn0w & untick all options except "fetch iPad baseband", that'll re-install the baseband on the phone. There was someone else here that had exactly the same problem you've now got that I walked the process through.

Thanks

I dont see how reinstalling the ipad baseband will change that the phone is showing no sim. Much more likely a hardware issue.

Thanks

Because what happens from time to time is that the baseband messes up, so it causes no network issues, by simply re-flashing the baseband it (in the several instances I've come across), resolved the issue. If it wasn't showing any wifi or anything like that,then perhaps hardware as the chip controls that as well.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Edit
    Last edited by BenderRodriguez; 02-12-2012 at 10:09 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susty View Post
    Ok, so there's a good chance something is amiss with the modem firmware now (have dealt with this a few times), what you can do is use redsn0w & untick all options except "fetch iPad baseband", that'll re-install the baseband on the phone. There was someone else here that had exactly the same problem you've now got that I walked the process through.
    I guess that it's worth a try, haven't really got anything to loose.

I will try the steps that you have suggested and will let you know

Thanks

Because what happens from time to time is that the baseband messes up, so it causes no network issues, by simply re-flashing the baseband it (in the several instances I've come across), resolved the issue. If it wasn't showing any wifi or anything like that,then perhaps hardware as the chip controls that as well.
    His is saying no sim. Not no network. Even if the ipad baseband was in an inconsistent state as what can happen with a 3GS (which this is not) when restoring to stock 5.X firmware it still shouldnt say no sim the whole time.

Thanks

His is saying no sim. Not no network. Even if the ipad baseband was in an inconsistent state as what can happen with a 3GS (which this is not) when restoring to stock 5.X firmware it still shouldnt say no sim the whole time.

Thanks

I've included a link back to the same issue you're experiencing that's in a forum here that I assisted with.

after jailbreak can't get past apple logo- not tethered jailbreak...help.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Granted, it shouldn't & that usually it would come up with searching & I appreciate this isn't a 3GS, but it's just what I've found in previous experience when the dreaded ipad baseband is used on 3g's & 3gs's
    Last edited by Susty; 02-11-2012 at 02:51 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Susty For This Useful Post:

Jordan2 (02-11-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried to do what you suggested and unfortunately nothing happened.

The same "No Sim" message is staying in position!

Is this an easy thing to fix if it is hardware? Because that way I won't have to sell it for much less!

Thanks

I've included a link back to the same issue you're experiencing that's in a forum here that I assisted with.

after jailbreak can't get past apple logo- not tethered jailbreak...help.

Granted, it shouldn't & that usually it would come up with searching & I appreciate this isn't a 3GS, but it's just what I've found in previous experience when the dreaded ipad baseband is used on 3g's & 3gs's
    In my experience no sim no matter what is a hardware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan2 View Post
    I tried to do what you suggested and unfortunately nothing happened.

The same "No Sim" message is staying in position!

Is this an easy thing to fix if it is hardware? Because that way I won't have to sell it for much less!
    If it is your sim contacts that are messed up then that is not an easy fix at all.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh well, at least it's out of recovery mode and could be sold as an iPod!

Thanks to everyone who helped Much appreciated!
    Last edited by Jordan2; 02-13-2012 at 11:20 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

have you installed latest mobilesubstrate?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi,i also got the same problem.please explain me the procedure to come out from the recovery mode loop.