Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade After Unlock?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jabbacks's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Upgrade After Unlock?
    Iphone 3gs originally on 5.0.1 BB 5.16.05. JB @ 5.0.1, downgrade to IOS 4.1 then jb again. Currently on 4.1. Loaded iPad BB, Unlocked!

If I upgrade back to 5.0.1 with snowbreeze, is it going to lock the phone again?

Thanks!

as long as you use a preserve bb option in rednsow/snowbreeze with 5.0.1, should be fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to daytonaviolet For This Useful Post:

Jabbacks (02-10-2012)

Thanks

Gonna have to do a little more research. Dont want to brick "not my iphone". hehehehe... thanks bro...

How did you downgrade 5.0.1 with that BB?
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=129676&dateline=12338  68848

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

You'll be fine with that, basebands can (at present) only be upgraded, not downgraded... So if you create a custom firmware with Pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze (depends if your mac or windows), you'll be fine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post
    How did you downgrade 5.0.1 with that BB?
    Downgrade to 5.0 (snowbreeze 2.8b10). From there, use redsnow 0.9.6b6 with iOS 4.1 and if you want to unlock, use same redsnow and install iPad baseband. You should be unlocked.

Good Lucks!

Makes sense. It's just that you can't run 6.15.xx on a new boot rom 3GS.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=129676&dateline=12338  68848

Thanks

You can run the iPad baseband on a new bootrom, the bootrom change was only to change the way exploits could be executed... What Apple did was to change the actual baseband chip.. So a 3GS 8gig made after week 28 in 2011 or a 16/32gig made after week 35, are HIGHLY likely to get bricked if you baseband them.

For example, I did a 3GS that was week 21 in 2011 with no problems what so ever

Wow, good info. So they can't be overwritten?

Thanks

Correct Once Apple started using the Toshiba chips instead in later builds of the 3GS, flashing the baseband means corrupting the chip because they don't have the same exploit that the Infineon has, so you'll just have an expensive paperweight As far as I'm aware there's no way to "come back from the dead" so to speak. It's the second time apple physically made changes to the 3GS's hardware (the first was changing the processor to patch the bootrom so that untethered jailbreaks were more difficult).

Long winded & boring stuff I know lol

Well... Not without physically removing the old baseband chip & replacing it... But you'd have to know your way round with circuit boards & be pretty good with soldering lol
    Last edited by Susty; 02-11-2012 at 12:19 AM.