Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS - UNLOCK - There is no SIM Card installed - but I have an AT&T SIM

Question 3GS - UNLOCK - There is no SIM Card installed - but I have an AT&T SIM
    Hello everyone! This is my first post - I've been around the web reading about my problem - but I'm at my wits end! Here's the skinny.

Using:
    Mac OSX
    redsn0w_mac_0.9.10b4.zip
    iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw

This seems to be my exact situation:
    Need help activating iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1

I have an iPod Touch 3GS [iBoot-359.3] that is running 5.0.1 and that I believe is already updated to the iPad baseband. The actual baseband is hard to verify now because the phone now loads into the "new iPhone" welcome screen where I have to advance through the language settings, select my country, the location services settings, and then it asks me to connect to iTunes or to connect to a wifi network. I can't get beyond this point now.

iTunes says that "There is no SIM Card installed in the iPhone you are trying to activate."

I do have an AT&T SIM card and it is in the phone, but iTunes still says there is no SIM Card.

A friend gave me this phone after he had attempted to jailbreak/unlock it. The friend said that it was indeed running the iPad baseband but I was stupid and did not verify. Also, when I went to restore the iPhone we also ended up updating it to the latest OS (oops), which is why it has 5.0.1 now (I believe it's 5.0.1 anyway, can I verify this some how even though I'm stuck at the welcome screen?), and is also why the phone is in this "new iPhone" welcome screen state.

I ran redsn0w according tho these instructions and it seems that everything went fine. The happy running pineapple graphic thing ran and everything.
    How to: Fix iPhone 3GS Searching... and "No Service" iOS 5.0.1! 6.15.00! - YouTube

The first time I ran redsn0w it crashed when fetching the iPad baseband. This is what makes me think that the iPad baseband was already installed… My symptoms were like this…
    redsn0w crashes when fetching ipad baseband - MacRumors Forums

So the next time I ran redsn0w I told it to just jailbreak and forget the new baseband, and it ran fine.

However, after I did that, even though everything seemed to work, the phone was in the same state as before. When it boots there is no pineapple logo, I still get the Searching… problem, and iTunes claims there is no sim card installed.

One strange thing though. Usually the phone says Searching… sometimes it says No Service. iTunes always says "There is no SIM card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate."

On another note, the battery drains insanely fast as well - I read on another forum that someone else experienced a crazy battery drain after upgrading to 5.0.1 - is this a known issue?

That's my situation! Thanks for any help!

Default 60000 ms
    When I try to run redsn0w again, it says that "This device is already owned with a bottom exploit, for the time being redsn0w requires that you manually select the IPSW in the Extras screen in order to specify the current build. This will be fixed in a future release.

However when I do that, I get the 60000 ms error. Says need to restore and retry. Seems that this is caused when you try to jailbreak something that has already been jailbroken.

If it is already jailbroken, shouldn't I be able to just go ahead and activate with my ATT SIM card and be on my way?

I would try restoring the phone again and trying to re-jailbreak it, but iTunes doesn't give me the option to restore the phone since it is at the welcome screen thing.

Any ideas?

Ha! I had the same problem. What I did was just set it up as a new iPhone.

And you can still restore, put your phone in recovery mode.

Default Back in business
    Okay. So I set the phone in Recovery Mode and then ran jailbreak to ONLY install Cydia.

Now I can get back into the phone and learned the following:

Modem Firmware: 06.15.00
    Model: MC137LL

Cydia installed successfully.

Now I just need to unlock it...
    Last edited by saikyo; 01-30-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Now the problem I'm having is that CYDIA is not letting me run ultrasn0w. I think the phone is having trouble with wifi or something... the battle continues tomorrow.

Right now when I load CYDIA and go to MANAGE, the "repo666.ultrasn0w.com" item has a black square with a ? for the icon,and when i click it, the screen slides to the right but nothing happens.

I also tried adding a "cydia.myrepospace.com" based on advice from another wesbite, but that ran some commands, but every command failed, and now it does the same thing as the previous repo666.

It seems that I just can't get ultrasn0w to run.

Has anyone seen this before?

Or is there another way to unlock?
    Last edited by saikyo; 01-30-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Saikyo, I am having the same issue with my unlock. I had "repo666.ultrasn0w.com" listed by itself until I clicked on it. It then went under the "Dev Team" listing but when I click on it again (with the black square and the ? in it), it just gives me a blank screen.

Anyone know how to get past this?

Make sure 3g is off.

3GS was and still is off.

I saw this.
    Download UltraSn0w 1.2.5 To Unlock iPhone 4, 3GS iOS 5.0.1 [CYDIA] | iJailbreak.com

"IMPORTANT: If you are unlocking an old-bootrom iPhone 3GS, according to MuscleNerd you will first need to re-Jailbreak with RedSn0w 0.9.9b9."

Will give it a shot later.

Default Second attempt from scratch
    SECOND ATTEMPT
    RESTORED the phone.
    Ran REDSNOW redsn0w_mac_0.9.9b9d
    Installed Cydia ONLY. Did not install new baseband. Did not deactivate. (It wasn't activated yet anyway.)

Worked. Cydia is installed.

Try to unlock with ultrasn0w.

Currently facing same problem as before where repo666.ultrasn0w.com has the black box with the ? as the icon and goes nowhere.

Is that this error?
    Ultrasnow empty in Manage Sources Dev Team Missing from Cydia / Latest Tech News @ Gloopy Store in Oxford Witney and Bicester UK

It seems that ultrasn0w has moved?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1298510

For some reason my search results are also showing nothing though. I wonder if I have a connection problem...

Need ultrasn0w 1.2.5...

It seems that the wifi connection on this phone is really crap...

Okay so Ultrasn0w is installed.

Now when I put a sim card into the phone, in the settings I can see the sim details, it sknows it's there. When I take the sim out of the phone it says NO SIM INSTALLED. When I put it in, i searches, forever.

I have tried rebooting the phone and the airplane mode trick, and 3G is turned OFF.

Totally stumped!
    Last edited by saikyo; 01-31-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added more info