Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: after jailbreak can't get past apple logo- not tethered jailbreak...help.

Default after jailbreak can't get past apple logo- not tethered jailbreak...help.
    I have a 3GS, which was jailbroken and unlocked running 4.2.1 and BB 6.15.00. I was updating to 5.0.1 and dumbly tried it through I tunes instead of redsn0w! After a long series of retries I got it to work but not unlock. Each time I tried downloading ultrasn0w and repo666 I got lot's of errors (yellow and red) and it defaulted to the old settings. I couldn't successfully unlock. I tried activating with SAM but that never worked. iTunes said NO SIM card installed, phone NO SERVICE. First it wouldn't activate then somehow I got it to work and I could use my apps but not call. Then I did something in the SAM preferences which shut it down and started in the activation home screen again. I finally tried to restore using an older iphone backup in my computer through iTunes. MISTAKE. It turned out to be from my old iPhone 3G. Now I can't start the phone. It won't go past the logo. I have tried redsn0w to get past the recovery mode with no luck. I've tried most everything that I can find information about. I hope that I haven't bricked the phone by using the old 3G backup.
    Does anyone have any solutions for this problem or am I bricked?

Default please disregard last post. fixed it but still can't download ultrasn0w or repo666...
    After 3 hours or so of trying everything with redsn0w I was able to recover and restore to my saved 3GS 5.0.1 6.15.00 version. But it still is locked. Every time I've tried to download ultrasn0w and repo666. it starts fine then hangs up and gives lots of yellow and red error messages. Does anyone have any idea about this? Is there something down on the Cydia servers? Is it a baseband problem? And the SAM app still won't spoof the SIM card to AT&T. Any ideas, help?
    thanks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ganzo For This Useful Post:

calic0 (01-22-2012)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Can you take a screenshot of the error your getting?

This is what it says. Small and hard to read so I may have misread something.

NetDB: Open nodename nor servname provided, or not known
    (repeated 2x in red type)

Failed to fetch
    http://cydia.zodttd.com/repo/cydia/d...rm/Packages.gz NetDB: Open nodename nor servname provided, or not known

Failed to fetch http://repo.bingner.com/ /Packages.gz
    NetDB: Open nodename nor servname provided, or not known (in yellow type)
    type
    Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead. (in red type)
    Last edited by ganzo; 01-22-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: repeated twice in same post by accident

I'm having the same issue! I have tried everything I know and can't fizz this, I wasn't aware that the 3GS would take ios 5.0.1? Is this true?

Thanks

Sounds like one of those packages is causing an issue at the moment... Remove one, then try again, if it still fails remove the other then re open Cydia. You should find this solves the issue, then you can manually add those two sources at a later stage.

Fr0stedfm, yes 3GS will work on ios5

Sorry, not package, source... So it's one or both those sources you need to delete
    Last edited by Susty; 01-22-2012 at 02:56 PM.

OK. I removed one and tried to reload the other and it worked. Then I reloaded the first one that I had removed and it worked too. So they are both good now. Still no carrier connection. I just removed ultrasn0w and dev team repo666.ultrasn0w again and reinstalled them with out the SIM card in place. Reinstalled fine. Now inserted SIM card again and still NO SERVICE.
    any other thoughts?

Thanks

On the phone, can you go to settings>General>about & just check that the modem firmware version is there? Cheers

Everything is there. Modem firmware 06.15.00. The only things that are NOT AVAILABLE are Network and Carrier, and it also says No SIM although I have the SAM activated AND my UK SIM card which used to give me ATT or T-Mobile service depending on where I was.

Thanks

Ok, when you go into SAM, you should see something that says more information, does it pick up your sin card in the sim details? Also do you get Sam details too.

I'm looking for a wildcardactivated state as well hopefully

I do get SAM details but no SIM details. and it is WildcardActivated. I did it by the book and activated from SAM when it showed up as not activated on iTunes. Also I have SAM enabled turned on. Method is bundle name. Bundle is ATT_US (originally and AT&T phone), SIM ID is 310150.

Thanks

Change it to autodetect & reboot the phone.

If that still leads to giving you issues (I think it might), depending on if you have windows or a mac, build a custom Ipsw with Sn0wbreeze or pwnagetool, what you can then do from expert mode under general is to hacktivate (So it'll skip the activate process for you),Seems as if your wifi is working so I don't think the baseband is corrupt, I think it's more likely to do with the issues you had with the ios5 installing from stock.
    Last edited by Susty; 01-22-2012 at 04:30 PM.

I did but it didn't change anything for the positive. Still says No Service.

Thanks

Ok, I would make a custom Ipsw with the stock Ipsw using pwnagetool, I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but the positive side is that you can still see a modem firmware version. It might be worth doing this & getting the new iPad baseband. Also,(not ideal I know), you can try taking it back to a custom Ipsw 4.1, if that(with ultrasn0w) brings your phone back to life, you'll know for a fact that it's the 5.0.1ipsw build you used. Sorry I can't shed anymore light on that, the only time I had that was when I had ultrasn0w 1.2.4 installed instead of 1.2.5.

But I'm sure cydia was updated with this as default, but it might be just worth checking the version just in case something strange has happened.

I did the custom IPSW with the stock one when I updated to 5.0.1 using redsn0w the other day. I tried using the 4.2.1 also but it refused saying that the device was not valid for that build (or some such jargon). I definitely am using ultrasn0w 1.2.5 and the newest redsn0w too. As I said it used to work fine before the 5.0.1 update which at first I messed up (used iTunes) then went through hops to recapture everything and get the device working again and activated without an AT&T SIM. Maybe something is messed up deep in the codes but I don't know. I did about 7-8 complete reinstalls with various tries of different IPSWs, both custom and stock. So maybe I have made it unusable for a phone (not possible to unlock( but all the apps seem to work. It is only a backup phone for me as I use a Samsung Android as my main phone. I just need a few apps that are on Mac and not Android so I have this one too. But it would be great if I could use it with my T-Mobile SIM.
    Thanks for all of your time and thought. I am hesitant to do a new IPSW deal with pwnage and redsn0w because the last time I did that it took me another 3 hours to get it back up and activated and apps working.

Thanks

Haha, no I can understand your concern there, that's no worries Well 4.1 is still signed by apple, but the only reason why you'd have to do the custom is because of the baseband... If it worked on 4.2.1, 4.1 would def work. What happened with ios5 was the whole activation thing. I personally have used sn0wbreeze & pwnagetool & not had a problem with those (I was in a similar situation as you, only my redsn0w build dropped the network when location services was switched on), though I do appreciate your apprehension because of the issues you've had. I'm more than happy to walk you through if you want but if your happy that it atleast is running to an extent, that's ok but you haven't broken it as a phone, atleast not that I believe.. Otherwise the wifi would be dead too... The only other way is if the phone becomes blacklisted in the uk means you cannot use any network on it, but that only happens in lost/stolen cases generally.. I personally haven't bricked a phone... Touch wood

If you are up for it I'll maybe ask you to walk me through it another time. I've had enough of the phone today but will try again next week in the evening. I'm in the CST zone. If you want we could email directly and try it that way. I'd be really appreciative. I wanted 5.0.1 because of a few apps that won't work on 4.2.1
    thanks.

Thanks

Not a problem at all, drop me an inbox here & I'll exchange details with you & with any luck we can get it running from there.

tonight I tried a friend's AT&T SIM card and it recognized it in the settings. Unfortunately it was an account without funds so I couldn't see if it would connect. And it finally recognized my UK SIM card but still searched forever and ended up with No Service.
    What is an "inbox" to exchange details?

Hi- another question- since I updated to 5.0.1. and don't have a successful unlock it seems, my battery use is way more than before on 4.2.1 even though I put it into airplane mode to stop it from searching for networks,etc. Is there anything else that needs to be done to reduce the battery consumption?
    thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast