+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Having not unlockable baseband, is it possible to upgrade it to unlockable one?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I always wondered if anything like this was possible. Does anyone know for sure? I mean imagine I got a not unlockable baseband on my iPhone. Can I upgrade it
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Lightbulb Having not unlockable baseband, is it possible to upgrade it to unlockable one?
    I always wondered if anything like this was possible. Does anyone know for sure? I mean imagine I got a not unlockable baseband on my iPhone. Can I upgrade it to an unlockable version, which came after it, but is not the latest at the moment?
    Last edited by jayarjo; 01-16-2012 at 08:06 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Depends on which phone you get.
    For 3g & 3GS, you can update to iPad BB, but you will lose GPS.
    You can use Gevey sim on iPhone 4 depending on which baseband.
    Currently theres no options for 4S, but they already sell factory unlocked 4S.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to b0bab0i For This Useful Post:

jayarjo (01-17-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Only to iPad BB? I assume then that upgrading to iPhone BB of same version not possible? Any good writeup on why this is the case?

iPhone? More like MyPhone DanTheManMS's Avatar
    Thanks

Ignoring the differences in hardware models for simplicity, here's the gist of it. Every iPhone baseband up to a certain point (I think around the one that came with iOS 4.0.1) can be unlocked with ultrasn0w. They managed to hack EVERYTHING up to that point, and NOTHING after that. Thus, since the hardware does not accept a downgrade in baseband version number, if you're on a baseband that cannot be unlocked, you're out of luck. The only unlockable basebands are below your current one.

The only exception is the iPad one, and that's actually more of a trick than anything. You see, the iPad's baseband is actually a copy of one of the older iPhone basebands, and that particular iPhone baseband falls into the "unlockable" category. But, for some reason, Apple gave this iPad baseband a much higher version number, higher than any current iPhone baseband number anyway. So you can "upgrade" to this copy of an older baseband and unlock it, though as mentioned, it screws up GPS. And you can never change the baseband again until Apple starts including ones with version numbers higher than 06.15.
    Last edited by DanTheManMS; 01-16-2012 at 02:37 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanTheManMS For This Useful Post:

jayarjo (01-17-2012), MiaField (01-18-2012)

Thanks

is the GPS loss definite? because i've read that it <i>may</i> screw up your GPS, may not... if so, what are the odds of this? out of curiosity

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patoons View Post
    is the GPS loss definite? because i've read that it <i>may</i> screw up your GPS, may not... if so, what are the odds of this? out of curiosity
    You will always lose GPS, but location services may still work because the phone may still use Cell Tower Reception to triangulate your position.