Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS 05.13.04 4.0 - how to upgrade to ios 5 without loosing unlock?

Default 3GS 05.13.04 4.0 - how to upgrade to ios 5 without loosing unlock?
    Hi, currently have an unlocked 3GS on 05.13.04 running 4.0. Can/how can I upgrade to ios 5?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 15,278 Times in 7,010 Posts

Use latest redsnow to make a custom 5.0.1 and restore to that in iTunes yo preserve your baseband.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

dan14 (01-17-2012)

Ok thanks - just found this How to Create Custom Firmware IPSW with RedSn0w | iPhoneHeat

After I've made the custom firmware, how should I restore to that in my itunes? When I connect the phone will a pop-up appear and prompt me to upgrade to 5.0.1 (i.e. in addition to the normal prompt from itunes)? Do I need to put the phone in airplane mode when I connect to itunes? Always do now just in case.

Also just to check, will this be unthered?

Thanks again

Use Redsn0w again to boot your iphone in Pawned DFU mode. Restore by pressing SHIFT + Restore in itunes to select your custom firmware.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rquilatan For This Useful Post:

dan14 (01-17-2012)

So after redsn0w has built the custom firmware I'll see a custom IPSW "NO_BB_iPhone3..." in redsn0w. Is that correct?

How do I boot the phone using redsn0w? Just double click the custom IPSW "NO_BB_iPhone3..." in redsn0w?

I don't follow the itunes bit, do I connect to itunes as normal with the phone connected, wait for the itunes upgrade prompt and then press SHIFT + Restore which will let me select my custom firmware?

Sorry to be dumb but just want to make sure I use my custom firmware rather than the stock as the phone has been working faultlessly for the past 3+ years and don't want to loose it now.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dan14 View Post
    So after redsn0w has built the custom firmware I'll see a custom IPSW "NO_BB_iPhone3..." in redsn0w. Is that correct?

Yes

How do I boot the phone using redsn0w? Just double click the custom IPSW "NO_BB_iPhone3..."

Use redsn0w to put your phone into pwned dfu, then close redsn0w & open iTunes.

I don't follow the itunes bit, do I connect to itunes as normal with the phone connected, wait for the itunes upgrade prompt and then press SHIFT + Restore which will let me select my custom firmware?

Yes, when it is in the pwned dfu mode, then you use your NO bb one you created.

Sorry to be dumb but just want to make sure I use my custom firmware rather than the stock as the phone has been working faultlessly for the past 3+ years and don't want to loose it now.
    Can understand that, any issues shout me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Susty For This Useful Post:

dan14 (01-17-2012)

Perfect thanks. Just to clarify, after I have the custom firmware in redsn0w, there will be an option in redsn0w to put the phone into pwned dfu? I.e. I don't put the phone into the 'regular' DFU mode by turning the phone off/hold the home button etc.

Sorry ignore that, just noticed on the screenshot in the tutiorial tha pwned dfu is in redsn0w
    Last edited by dan14; 01-17-2012 at 06:40 AM.

I've downloaded redsn0w and click 'Custom ISPW' but I can't find or don't have ios5 firmware on my machine. Step 3 on here How to Create Custom Firmware IPSW with RedSn0w | iPhoneHeat

Where is it?! Or do I need to install it from somewhere first?

Thanks

you can put it in DFU mode yoruself and load no_bb with itunes. the option to use DFU mode with redsnow is to just show you how to do it.

remember to select "shift" then "restore" with itunes to select your no_bb

Perfect thanks. Just to clarify, after I have the custom firmware in redsn0w, there will be an option in redsn0w to put the phone into pwned dfu? I.e. I don't put the phone into the 'regular' DFU mode by turning the phone off/hold the home button etc.

Sorry ignore that, just noticed on the screenshot in the tutiorial tha pwned dfu is in redsn0w

13. The Following User Says Thank You to daytonaviolet For This Useful Post:

dan14 (01-18-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've downloaded redsn0w and click 'Custom ISPW' but I can't find or don't have ios5 firmware on my machine. Step 3 on here How to Create Custom Firmware IPSW with RedSn0w | iPhoneHeat

Where is it?! Or do I need to install it from somewhere first?

Thanks
    You can download the IPSW file here: Firmware - Downloads - Apple, iPhone and iPad Forums | ModMyi.com
    look for iPhone 3GS 5.0.1

15. The Following User Says Thank You to b0bab0i For This Useful Post:

dan14 (01-18-2012)

OK I now have 5.0.1 firmware saved but after I've clicked custom ISPW and browse for the 5.0.1 firmware there is nothing in the folder, it is completly empty which is not right as it is there when I look in windows explorer.

Is there something missing or do I have to rename the 5.0.1 firmware?

Also, when I'm in explorer and look at the iOS 5.0.1 there are lots of files under 'Firmware', 'all_flash', 'DFU' & 'usr' but none seem to have the iOS 5.0.1.

The firmware should have 1 ISPW only . Download from here:

iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From look for 5.0.1 (3GS): iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw That's your firmware.

When you're finished drag it to your desktop so it easy for you to locate it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tacoma96 For This Useful Post:

dan14 (01-18-2012)

Just needed to rename the .zip file to .ipsw. I've tried my sim card (UK sim) and lost the unlock. Do I just go in cydia & search for ultrasn0w? I've also lost cydia?

Just tried to jailbreak/install cydia and got this message...

The following ipsw for the following build is needed:
    iphone2.1_5.0.1_9A404

The required ipsw is either not public or not available right now. Please provide it manually using 'extras > select ipsw'.

I did then got ipsw is not supported by this version of redsn0w. HELP!
    Last edited by dan14; 01-18-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Did you jailbreak you phone with latest redsn0w yet ? After the jailbreak you can install ultrasn0w from cydia/ search for it. Slide to power off to activated ultrasn0w.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to tacoma96 For This Useful Post:

dan14 (01-18-2012)

No haven't managed to jailbreak via redsn0w as I got the message "ipsw is not supported by this version of redsn0w".

When I'm in redsn0w and selecting the ipsw should I use the starndard firmware "iphone3.1" or the custom firmware "NO_BB_iphone"?

OK all sorted, is now accepting my sim! Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.
    Last edited by dan14; 01-18-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Use latest redsnow to make a custom 5.0.1 and restore to that in iTunes yo preserve your baseband.
    Hi im new here and im in the same situation as dan14. And i want to know if its possible to do the same process but update to a more recent ios version?

if you want to preserve your baseband for unlock use the latest redsn0w or sn0wbreeze to create a custom ipsw firmware file to upgrade with.
    if you havent been saving your shsh blobs or dont have them you can only create a 5.1.1 firmware custom ipsw file now

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nuno21 View Post
    Hi im new here and im in the same situation as dan14. And i want to know if its possible to do the same process but update to a more recent ios version?
    Sure can. It's the same process, just use a 5.1.1 ipsw to create a custom firmware instead of 5.0.1. Make sure the phone is in pwned DFU mode with RS, hold shift (option on mac) and click restore in iTunes then select your custom 5.1.1. That's it, you'll be upgraded and jb assuming you did everything correctly.