Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 04.11.08 iphone 4 baseband discussions

Default 04.11.08 iphone 4 baseband discussions
    hey all,
    i thought a discussion on the baseband issue could help stur ideas on a possible fix. i mean we can keep complaining about it or try to discuss possible ideas. i had this one idea. not sure if it would work. perhaps someone with a greater knowledge base could clear this up. correct me if i am wrong here, but from what i seen u have to go thru apple's server when u try tu update any firmware. hince why we can no longer use older firmwares with current versions of itunes. could someone download an older version of itunes/ baseband firmware and get out of the baseband 04.11.08? i know a downgrade in basebands is impossible, but could this work? any feedback welcome 80).

I thought I had a good idea the other night.

Since you can't downgrade your BB, but you can always UPGRADE it to a newer version, what if you renamed an old BB as an updated version, and then 'upgraded' to an older (unlockable) baseband? This could be done similarly to how redsn0w 'updates' 3G to the ipad baseband.

1. Get an unlockable baseband (ip4 1.49.00)
    2. rename it to 10.49.00 (I'm sure you'd have to do more than just rename it - change some kind of identifier within the BB files as well)
    3. "update" your iphone's BB to the old one (using BBUpdater or whatever)
    4. unlock using ultrasn0w

Thanks
    Thanked 15,540 Times in 7,105 Posts

Neither would work unfortunately because of the signature checks that Apple has in place for baseband upgrading (Among other things).

Hi, i too have this baseband on my iphone 4. I have firmware 5.0. Am i right in assuming by the above that i am unable to unlock this device?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by herring14 View Post
    Hi, i too have this baseband on my iphone 4. I have firmware 5.0. Am i right in assuming by the above that i am unable to unlock this device?
    You are right. No unlock yet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone CraZyJaVieR's Avatar
    Thanks

im runnin this BB but i have no plan right now but i heard H20 dosnt need to be unlocked is that right? iPhone 4 FW: 5.0.1

Thanks

From what I have heard that is correct. H2O will run on a locked ATT iPhone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    From what I have heard that is correct. H2O will run on a locked ATT iPhone.
    ohhh thx for d inf .. wich one is better simple mobile unlimited edge data or H20 1gb 3g data?? in ur opinion?

Thanks

Dont know. Dont live in the US. I think you would need the phone to be unlocked to run on simple mobile though.

Thanks

yahh i had simple mobile on my 3gs but it was always on edge dont like it plus theres is no unlock yet soo mayb ill go with H20 Thx u =}

I just set my iPhone 4 up as a GO phone, bought a cheap GO phone package at Best Buy for $5 cut the card to size (chucked the phone) and loaded it with $100 worth of time, I only use wifi - which is everywhere, for browsing. Unlock not needed.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shredderx View Post
    I just set my iPhone 4 up as a GO phone, bought a cheap GO phone package at Best Buy for $5 cut the card to size (chucked the phone) and loaded it with $100 worth of time, I only use wifi - which is everywhere, for browsing. Unlock not needed.
    Be careful with those Go Phone pay as you go plans. If AT&T catches you they will automatically add a data package to your plan and you won't even realize it until you get the bill.

got a question. i seen where a guide was posted as to how to erase ur baseband. i know this is dangerous, but here is my question....if for argumentative sake i was able to erase the baseband 04.11.08 from my iphone (assuming of course the guide to erase basebands work) could i then install an older firmware with an older baseband that could b unlocked? i managed to downgrade to version 4.3.5 (8L1) (1 bar reception though 80(.), but of course the same damned baseband 04.11.08. or would me iphone be totally screwed beyond repair? any advise would be much appriciated, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ihappy View Post
    Be careful with those Go Phone pay as you go plans. If AT&T catches you they will automatically add a data package to your plan and you won't even realize it until you get the bill.
    I know of no one who is off contract who has had that happen, though I've heard the story. One may use any suitable GSM phone on the AT&T GO phone service, there is no restriction using an iPhone out of contract with the GO Service, AT&T will not alter the GO phone service, though you could accidentally add data, text, or international or all of them if you're not careful.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shredderx View Post
    I know of no one who is off contract who has had that happen, though I've heard the story. One may use any suitable GSM phone on the AT&T GO phone service, there is no restriction using an iPhone out of contract with the GO Service, AT&T will not alter the GO phone service, though you could accidentally add data, text, or international or all of them if you're not careful.
    I agree with your statement.
    You are perfectly capable of using any gsm phone on the att go phone plans including the iphone. However att doesn't see it that way hence why if they ever trace your phone they will usually send you a forewarning telling you to sign up for a legit plan or just make the adjustments themselves. Its unfair if you ask me. I have ran into plenty of people this has happened to and they all tell me the same thing.
    This is how things were before but now that apple sells carrier unlocked iphones things may be different.

have another question here. i live in belgium and have mobistar as my provider. my iphone 4 is from the states. here is the question. why is my provider (mobistar) unable to unlock my 04.11.08 baseband? i mean they r the authorized sellers of iphones here. and when they sell thier iphones, be it 4 or 4s what's to stop thier iphones from having the unlockable baseband? i mean they activate it with the latest version of itunes and the latest baseband 04.11.08 now don't they?????

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem1976 View Post
    have another question here. i live in belgium and have mobistar as my provider. my iphone 4 is from the states. here is the question. why is my provider (mobistar) unable to unlock my 04.11.08 baseband? i mean they r the authorized sellers of iphones here. and when they sell thier iphones, be it 4 or 4s what's to stop thier iphones from having the unlockable baseband? i mean they activate it with the latest version of itunes and the latest baseband 04.11.08 now don't they?????
    Some carriers will unlock them, some won't. It is their choice not to so they could if they wanted to.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Eminem1976 (01-18-2012)

is there a reason as to why they wouldn't if they could? i mean i would think customer service would b in thier best interest. make thier customers happy. i mean what do they have to lost unlocking my iphone for example seeing i am a customer in good standing with them.

Thanks

Not sure the reason. That would be a question for them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem1976 View Post
    is there a reason as to why they wouldn't if they could? i mean i would think customer service would b in thier best interest. make thier customers happy. i mean what do they have to lost unlocking my iphone for example seeing i am a customer in good standing with them.
    Because the phone was originally bought for an AT&T plan. It has the At&T IMEI code. Often companies sell iPhones for the subsidized price of $200 so you are locked with their Data Plan. You didn't buy the iPhone Mobistar, so how is this even helping them?

Read up on a compnay called CutyourSim, they did exactly what you were suggesting and made money, but apple shut them down.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to b0bab0i For This Useful Post:

Eminem1976 (01-18-2012)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast