+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 04.11.08 iphone 4 baseband discussions

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by b0bab0i Because the phone was originally bought for an AT&T plan. It has the At&T IMEI code. Often companies sell iPhones for the subsidized price of $200
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
    Because the phone was originally bought for an AT&T plan. It has the At&T IMEI code. Often companies sell iPhones for the subsidized price of $200 so you are locked with their Data Plan. You didn't buy the iPhone Mobistar, so how is this even helping them?

Read up on a compnay called CutyourSim, they did exactly what you were suggesting and made money, but apple shut them down.
    when i bought my iphone 4 i paid full price for it free and clear of any AT&T plans ($750.00). so my iphone 4 does have the AT&T IMEI code. i remember back when the iphone 4 came out AT&T made it to where u paid a fraction of the price, but u had to be locked into some AT&T data plan. this was done to prevent people (like myself, lol) from going to the states and buying the iphone 4 at a much cheaper price and resell it at a higher profit (this practice was done with older versions of the iphone). but when the iphone finally came out in Europe AT&T resended this practice and said people could now purchase the iphone free of any data plans, but u would have to pay full market price for it. this is what i did. i have had a data plan for my iphone 4 thru mobistar for years now. so it worked over here without issues.
    when mobistar sells the iphone 4 over here they have to activate it thru the latest version of itunes with the latest baseband of 04.11.08 now wouldn't they? so why wouldn't they or i should say why couldn't they do a sim unlock on my iphone4? i mean why risk losing me as a customer. granted i'm only one person here and the loss of my business wouldn't make a difference to them. but if they could unlock it, why wouldn't they do it to keep thier customer happy? cause now i am paying 30 euros a month for a data plan i can no longer use. and i am seriously thinking now of cancelling my data plan and leaving mobistar. granted, it's my dumb *** mistake of updating my iphone without 1st doing my homework, but if they could do it, why not???
    in regards to CutyourSim...and please correct me if i am mistaken here, but the reason apple would have shut them down was to prevent people from buying iphones at a cheaper price and activating them on other networks where the iphone was not yet available. meaning apple and AT&T had an exclusive deal b4 the iphone was made available on other networks. so i would think this would be the main reason why apple would shut them down. to protect their investment with AT&T. like i said i could be totally off base here. but this sounds like a logical reason as to why apple would have shut them down.
    Last edited by Eminem1976; 01-18-2012 at 10:19 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Taking matters into my own hands.
    I'm seriously tired of just sitting around and waiting for someone else to solve this problem, especially when it seems like the community is just brushing the 4.11.08 issue under the carpet and aiming their attention toward ipad/4s solutions.

They say that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself, this is my exact intention.
    I have no experience / knowledge when it comes to unlocking iphones but i'm completely confident that i can pull this off.

Game Plan:
    (step 1)
    Acquire knowledge (knowledge is the most important tool)
    - extensive research on how previous loopholes were exploited to unlock devices.
    - extensive research on the 4.11.08 issue and why previous solutions have failed with this base band.
    - extensive research on alternate solutions that have solved previous issues.

(step 2)
    Utilize information
    - Take all information gained via step 1 to find a possible solution for this 04.11.08 issue.

YOU CAN HELP.
    Share knowledge:
    Please share any resources that you think might be valuable, if anyone here has experience/spare time i'd love a crash course.

Share resources:
    There are large amounts illegit websites out there claiming to have a solution, leaving nothing but a virtual trail of trash throughout the web whenever a search for 04.11.08 is done.
    If you have ANY information that you think will help (eg: a website that explains the issue, someone that came close but failed, ect) PLEASE share. This will also save me a bunch of time.

I've yet to encounter a challenge that i haven't been able to overcome. ANYTHING is possible if you put your mind to it.

I'm just a recent college grad from NYC who's tired of waiting around.
    Watch as i surpass all expectations.

_suB

Green Apple
    Thanks
    not a bad idea subm0ral. exactly what i've been trying to express all this time. why not try to brain storm and put some ideas down instead of complaining about no baseband 04.11.08 unlock. hell maybe those that jb/unlock can get some fresh ideas. with that being said i came across this article. it's pretty old, but has anyone tried this method posted here?
    Unlocking an iPhone | Macworld

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    @Eminem1976 thanks for your contribution, However that method has been patched for quite some time now. Here's what i found thus far:

04.11.08 Information:
    04.11.08 is the XMM 6180 baseband provided with iOS 5.0b6, 5.0b7 , 5.0GM ,5.0.1b1, 5.0.1b2 and 5.0.1. It has both the AT+XAPP Vulnerability and the interposer exploit patched, therefore can not be unlocked. This baseband also contains the 2.13 bootloader, like iOS. This is the GSM baseband for the iPhone 4S and can be found in the 5.0 IPSW for iPad 2 GSM, iPhone 4 GSM and the iPhone 4S.

AT+XAPP Vulnerability:
    This vulnerability that was discovered by the now famous @Sherif_hashim, a hacker based in Cairo, Egypt.
    The exploit was then implemented in the most recent versions of ultrasn0w by The iPhone Dev Team.

The Vulnerability explained:
    There is a stack overflow in the AT+XAPP*="..." ‬command*, ‬which allows unsigned code execution on the X-Gold 608 and XMM 6180.

at+xapp="aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa44445 55566667777PPPP"

Applying a string of more than 52* ‬characters will trigger the overflow.

This vulnerability is used as an injection vector for the X-Gold 608 and XMM 6180 unlock payload. ‬Currently available in all X-Gold 608 basebands until 5.13.04 and 6.15.00, and XMM 6180 baseband 1.59.00.‬ *

This method was patched with the 04.11.08 bb update thus rendering it obsolete. Which brings us to where we are now....

Still in the research phase of this project, i'll be better equipped if i have knowledge of what to look for before i start digging around.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, SPREAD THE POWER.

_suB

side note:

The group Anonymous successfully brought down the following websites after yesterday's federal bust of file sharing site Megaupload:
    justice.gov
    universalmusic.com
    riaa.org
    mpaa.org
    copyright.gov
    hadopi.fr
    wmg.com
    usdoj.gov
    bmi.com
    fbi.gov

I salute you.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well it is a guy on twitter who's claiming that he did unlock the 04.11 but for some reason he was denied and called fake by devteam . His name is Hamzah akram if you will follow him on twitter you may try to get some info about this BB and his product called react0r which supposed to be something like ultrasnow . Good luck!!!!! Hope you will get the info that you need.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fircic View Post
    Well it is a guy on twitter who's claiming that he did unlock the 04.11 but for some reason he was denied and called fake by devteam . His name is Hamzah akram if you will follow him on twitter you may try to get some info about this BB and his product called react0r which supposed to be something like ultrasnow . Good luck!!!!! Hope you will get the info that you need.
    unfortuneately he turned out to be a complete fraud 80(.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks Firic, I am aware of Hamzah_akram, he was deemed a fraud by @MuscleNerd about a week ago.

There are a few others that are also claiming progress:
    @iHectorMed
    @NoLoveMoreMoney
    Both VERY questionable, and nothing much to show for this so called "progress".
    but you never know, maybe they're on to something.

Rumor has it that @sherif_hashim (known hacker) is still working on it but he has not mentioned anything about the 4.11.08 bb in the past few days. So i assume that this issue no longer has his attention.
    His latest tweet:
    "now i have cydia on this 4s, i need this #absinthe cool webclip back on the springboard "

I'm still researching, obtaining knowledge necessary to carry this project out. I thought obtain more by now but it's hard to find any solid information on the matter due to the amount of spam/dead ends out there on the web.

Thanks again for sharing

@subm0ral

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

my contribution
    We have list of serial port commands for baseband here List of baseband commands - The iPhone Wiki
    We need to run one by one to see if we can find a crash

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Much appreciated, i cant seem to get minicom from cydia though, is it no longer available on the Telesphoreo Tangelo repo?

I'll dig deeper once i get to the office.

@subm0ral

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem1976 View Post
    unfortuneately he turned out to be a complete fraud 80(.
    I know that everyone saying that is seems to be a fraud or so but how come did someone has some info about ? Why is it a fraud or what hi did wrong hi never ask for money or so .....

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Attached the minicom deb file
    Quote Originally Posted by subm0ral View Post
    Much appreciated, i cant seem to get minicom from cydia though, is it no longer available on the Telesphoreo Tangelo repo?

I'll dig deeper once i get to the office.

@subm0ral
    Attached is the deb file
    Attached Files Attached Files

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fircic View Post
    I know that everyone saying that is seems to be a fraud or so but how come did someone has some info about ? Why is it a fraud or what hi did wrong hi never ask for money or so .....
    true he didn't ask for money or so, but falsely misleading people to believe he was working on react0r when so many of us had r hopes on it is wrong as well. he never wanted to post a video or ever give any real proof of his "so called" work. he began this scam of react0r knowing full well there wasn't any. that is wrong.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Probably a stupid question but is it not possible to create a cydiaOS and remove the hardware from being dependent on apple signing it? Or would this be far too much work?

To clarify I'm talking about formatting an iPhone with our own third party OS and abandoning apple apps

Green Apple
    Thanks
    i found this atricle wile looking for any news or so about an unlock. could be old, but has anyone tried this method?

Perform the GSM Unlock

First, download and install Unlock.app, lockdownd, and Cyberduck.

Then go to the iPhone's General settings and set Auto-Lock to Never. Next, you'll need to get your iPhone's IP address on your local network. To do this, go to Settings: Wi-Fi and click on the blue arrow next to the network that you're connected too. Write down the IP address, as you'll need it for later.

Now, open Cyberduck and click on the Open Connection button in the top left of the window. In the connection window, type the IP address that you just noted. Make sure that SFTP (SSH Secure File Transfer) is selected, and that you are using Port 22. For the username, type root, with the password of dottie.

Once connected, navigate from /private/var/root to the main directory by choosing the / item. Next, navigate to /usr/libexec and drag the file named lockdownd (the one you downloaded earlier) into it. It will ask if you want to overwrite the existing file-click on Continue to do so.

Now, in Cyberduck, drag the Unlock file from the Mac's desktop into the /Applications folder at the top of the main window. Once that's done, turn off your iPhone and remove the SIM card, then turn your iPhone back on and choose the application on your iPhone called Unlock.

Assuming everything went smoothly, there should be a white screen that says "All files found. Ready to go. Press Start." Once you press start, it will take about 20 minutes for all the files to install.

The progress messages will appear at the top of the screen as it progress-once you see "Completed" then you're finished. Insert a new SIM card of your choosing into your iPhone. Congratulations, you've just unlocked your iPhone!

(If you're planning on using a T-Mobile SIM card in your iPhone, you'll want to modify the iPhone's settings. Follow the instructions at the bottom of the ModMyiPhone tutorial to make sure the settings you enter conform to your T-Mobile data plan.)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This method is the very old unlock method found by GeoHot i guess. will not work in latest models

16. The Following User Says Thank You to haissk For This Useful Post:

Eminem1976 (01-25-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    has anyone seen or tried this method for a 04.11.08 bb unlock? i don't have my iphone with me atm so i can't confirm if this works or not...UNLOCK baseband 04.11.08 and Untethered Jailbreak 5.0.1 NEW!!!!! 100% working!!!! - YouTube

Thanks
    Thanked 14,754 Times in 6,861 Posts

Super fake. Either it is a factory unlocked iPhone or it is locked to Turkcell. He doesnt put any other sim into it.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    true, i thought of that too, but i figured if someone was wiilling to try it to see. the 'patch' file that u need to use in association to the redsnow caught my interest. thought i would post to see if anyone would wanna try it. thanks 4 da reply Simon

Thanks
    Thanked 14,754 Times in 6,861 Posts

I wouldnt trust any "patch" file like that. Could be a virus or something.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeeees, AT&T has slaved the apple and you cannot go around now......

AT&T has slaved the Apple. there is no way around.
    You are locked with your firmware.