+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cheap iPhone 4S, Bad ESN --> GSM Unlock??

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello! Who thinks this would be possible: 1) Buy cheap, around $450 iPhone 4S with a bad ESN. 2) Wait for Dev Team GSM unlock. 3) Unlock GSM, activate with
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Cheap iPhone 4S, Bad ESN --> GSM Unlock??
    Hello! Who thinks this would be possible:

1) Buy cheap, around $450 iPhone 4S with a bad ESN.
    2) Wait for Dev Team GSM unlock.
    3) Unlock GSM, activate with SAM.
    4) Success!

Any ideas? Theoretically it should work, no?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure Dev team won't even try to unlock the 4S, Apple already sells unlocked iPhones, it's a waste of time and resources for them. If you want an unlocked iPhone, just pay a little more.

They are already having enough trouble trying to crack A5 processor for jailbreak.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
    I'm pretty sure Dev team won't even try to unlock the 4S, Apple already sells unlocked iPhones, it's a waste of time and resources for them. If you want an unlocked iPhone, just pay a little more.

They are already having enough trouble trying to crack A5 processor for jailbreak.
    iPhone 4S Unlock in Progress and ‘Very Promising’ According to Dev Team | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Not sure how long you are going to hold the phone for? Its been like 2 months, plus MuscleNerd is now helping to try to jailbreak A5 processor. pod2g's iOS blog

Essentially you are buying a broken iPhone 4s for $450. Even if it works(slim chance), if u accidentally update, you will lose the unlock. Why does the iPhone 4s have a bad ESN in the first place?

Might as well pay $650 to get an unlocked 4S. Value will be worth more if you wanted to resell it since it will always be unlocked.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Could we not discuss other potential actions, and instead, actually discuss the matter at hand? Would it be possible is the *original* question. I'm pretty set on not spending $200 un-necessarily / saving $200.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,772 Times in 6,869 Posts

Possible? Sure, nothing is impossible. Although I would say it is VERY unlikely. I dont see another unlock coming out for any iPhones now unless one of the original OG's get back into it (geohot/planetbeing). You may be waiting a very long time for an unlock. That extra $200 or whatever it is for a factory unlocked one is definitely worth it IMO.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Do you think it's unlikely because it's unlikely they'll release one, or unlikely because it might not work?

Let me rephrase the question:
    If an unlock for the 4S is, in fact released, will it work regardless of original, intended carrier? Or will only originally-AT&T, "GSM" iPhone 4S' be unlocked?

It is my belief that the GSM component of originally-CDMA iPhone 4S' (bought on Verizon, Sprint, but GSM still present obviously) will work, should an unlock be released. No?

Thanks

I'm not sure about the second part of your question. I dont know how a software unlock would work on a phone meant for one of the CDMA carriers.

I just mean unlikely that there will ever be an unlock altogether.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well the iPhone 4S has both, GSM and CDMA components. Originally-CDMA iPhone 4S' could have specially locked-down GSM radios, perhaps in a different manner than the GSM iPhone 4S for AT&T is locked.

My question was would an unlock, if released, unlock both of these? Or, because the lockdowns are different (if they are), would an unlock, if released, only function on the originally GSM models?

Thanks

Yup, I understand what you are asking. Just not sure. Maybe send a tweet to MuscleNerd on twitter and see if he responds. Not sure who else would really know.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    There was a cheap bad esn 4S on craigslist i almost bought, but didnt want to risk just having a paper weight because the unlock never developed..
    I remember reading a while back there was some place that hard-unlocked the iphone, they opened up your iphone then took out some chip and reprogrammed it so it would be unlocked forever just as from Apple. Anyone know anything about that? Im sure they can do it with the 4S

Green Apple
    Thanks

Bought a Sprint 16GB White iPhone 4S on ebay with a "Bad ESN," Like New: $412 total
    (turns out seller cancelled contract early and thought that would result in a bad ESN, fee still paid )

CDMA Gevey Ultra S pre-order: $65.00 total

Unlocked iPhone 4S 16GB White total: $472.00