+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Factory Unlock through Apple Store replacement?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So somehow my wife's iPhone was corrupted through a combination of being dropped into the toilet, and then me subsequently trying to fix it after the fact by jailbreaking and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Factory Unlock through Apple Store replacement?
    So somehow my wife's iPhone was corrupted through a combination of being dropped into the toilet, and then me subsequently trying to fix it after the fact by jailbreaking and updating to the iPad 06.15.00 baseband for a carrier unlock. Before the fall into the crapper, the phone was jailbroken but I could not get ultrasn0w to unlock it for T-mobile. After the fall, it still worked but kept cutting in and out. So I tried to re-jailbreak it and at the same time exploit the 06.15.00 unlock. After the first attempt, the wifi and bluetooth went out. After a couple more attempts to reflash the baseband, the phone stopped responding at all.

My wife took it to the Apple Store where they pronounced the phone dead. They offered to give her a new one for $150 (since warranty doesn't cover water damage) and she went for it. On a whim, she stuck her T-mobile SIM into the slot without jailbreaking or doing anything else. And it worked. She has placed and received both calls and texts over T-mobile. No ultrasn0w, no jailbreak, no nothing.

So my questions are: 1. Has anybody else ever gotten an unlocked phone from the Apple Store as a replacement for a locked phone? 2. Is there any way I can confirm that this phone is truly factory unlocked? I'm concerned that I'll update the iOS and somehow lose the unlock.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

if its a factory IMEI unlock, when you sync to itunes you'll get this message "Congratulations, your iphone is now unlocked" this means that the IMEI of that iphone is on apples whitelist. thus, this iphone shall be unlocked forever.. as long as it stays on that whitelist.
    Last edited by daytonaviolet; 01-04-2012 at 05:30 PM.