Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can O2 iPhone 4S be unlocked?

Default Can O2 iPhone 4S be unlocked?
    Bought an iPhone 4s off eBay initially for tmobile but my tmobile sim keeps reading invalid ;( I looked closer and the activation sim that was sent with the phone says O2.. but the Network reads T-Mobile.. Confused >.<
    please look at the pic I uploaded and help me understand what's going on.. Why does it say tmobile network when my tmobile sim won't work... And if it is for o2, can it be unlocked for tmobile in the US? as I've heard o2 is a UK carrier and I am living in California ;/

Thanks in advance!

Look at Network and Carrier in the pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbymodmyi1325051212.059480.jpg   -imageuploadedbymodmyi1325051326.315337.jpg   -imageuploadedbymodmyi1325051416.566790.jpg   -imageuploadedbymodmyi1325051486.463370.jpg   -imageuploadedbymodmyi1325051877.883505.jpg  

I have an unlocked ip4 and when I put in an o2 sim card, it also says t-mobile in the carrier field. My base band is 4.10.01. What is yours? Perhaps your phone is factory unlocked? Also see if the o2 phone number shows up? Have you tried rebooting with t-mobile sim? Also try syncing to iTunes. It may give you the "congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked" message.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbymodmyi1325062191.248070.jpg  
    Last edited by daytonaviolet; 12-28-2011 at 03:01 AM.

im running latest ios 5.0.1 so its not going to be 4.10.01 (my phone is not with me now no i cant check for sure )
    i tried booting with my tmobile sim... i even tried restoring with my tmobile sim, it didnt work... if u look at my picture it says next to carrier O2.. but i bought this phone from a guy in the US... why did it come with a O2 activation sim since it only works in the UK? maby it is factory unlocked...but how do i know for sure?

@daytonaviolet mines is a 4S, what makes it weird is that O2 is not really selling the 4S in the market, but theyre planning on releasing it to the public in the UK soon... bought the phone as is so cant return it ..any ideas?

have you tried any other sim cards besides t-mobile and o2? the fact that its showing t-mobile as carrier when the o2 card is installed indicates that it may be unlocked. a locked phone would simply say "no sim card installed" and or will go straight to the "sync to intunes" logo on the screen.

i would try the following.

1/ reboot with pay as you go ATT sim card
    2/ sync to itunes

if its really unlocked, after syncing you shall get the message "congratulations your iphone has been unlocked" message from itunes.

Ok I put a att sim lying around here and this is the message it gave me (pics below)

And the carrier now changed to AT&T (refer to pic) but it still says incompatible when I reboot?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbymodmyi1325125572.129282.jpg  
    Last edited by Mrdabbas; 12-28-2011 at 08:34 PM.

That means it's an O2-locked iPhone. It says T-Mobile on the top-left because when foreign sims are used (your O2 sim) in the U.S, they roam on other carriers (like T-Mobile, AT&T). This is why when you try to enter an ACTUAL T-Mobile SIM, you get errors.

It's locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesss View Post
    That means it's an O2-locked iPhone. It says T-Mobile on the top-left because when foreign sims are used (your O2 sim) in the U.S, they roam on other carriers (like T-Mobile, AT&T). This is why when you try to enter an ACTUAL T-Mobile SIM, you get errors.

It's locked.
    Hmm.. guess I'll sell it on eBay to someone who can make use of it

But the funny thing is, after I put the att sim in there it said att under the carrier option in "about" page, look at pic, what does that mean?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbymodmyi1325126326.528694.jpg  

its showing ATT because like what Mrdabbas said, usually foreign sim cards will piggy back other carriers when roaming. did you try to sync it with itunes with ATT sim card?

another approach is to contact o2. since your iphone is from them, they may be able to unlock it for 15gbp. when they look up your IMEI, they will confirm its a uk phone.
    Last edited by daytonaviolet; 12-28-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    its showing ATT because like what Mrdabbas said, usually foreign sim cards will piggy back other carriers when roaming. did you try to sync it with itunes with ATT sim card?

another approach is to contact o2. since your iphone is from them, they may be able to unlock it for 15gbp. when they look up your IMEI, they will confirm its a uk phone.
    I tried contacting them, heard that they will give you the unlock code FREE only AFTER your contract is over, but what contract? Lol I'm in the us and they have horrible online service, geez .. And I thought tmobile had crappy customer support.. Oh and when it was synced to iTunes nothing happened .. Kept saying invalid sim

I'll list it on eBay under O2 iPhone and hope it will work on that network to the buyer
    Last edited by Mrdabbas; 12-28-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Before selling I think it's worth it to fill out o2's unlock form. There database has your IMEI already. They may unlock. Heck, I'm in CA too and they unlocked mine . Well I got lucky as the csr perhaps never checked my IMEI origin. But yours is already from UK, that's all they care about. If it's completed it's contract, unlock is free.. Else it's 15gbp. It's worth a try

i just got finish chatting with o2's customer service rep. they informed me that they can unlock an iphone as long as its not an ip4s or ip4 8g. they can also unlock it while the phone is located in usa. but they require a few things.

1/ IMEI must have uk origin
    2/ sim card must be top off with at least 15.
    3/ require calltime balance, tariff, date method and amount of last top up

i believe you already qualify for all these items. since you have the o2 sim, you just need to top up (add money to the sim card). hopefully that sim card has made a few calls in the o2 network in UK. i believe your in good shape to qualify for an IMEI unlock. this is identical to a factory unlock. okay, but you'll need to lie a bit below is my conversation with the csr. i believe o2 will unlock your iphone because i did something similar to this months ago and was able to IMEI unlock my iphone in california. only difference is my iphone was never on the o2 network and its IMEI orgin is north america and not uk. but i was lucky enough to chat with several csr and found one lazy one. she didnt even bother to look up my IMEI origin nor ask for my sim number. she only asked for my IMEI and unlocked it.

here is the online support page. if you fill out some of the lines, a pop will appear and ask you if you would like to chat with a csr.

here is the converstion

Welcome to O2. Someone will be with you soon.
    You're through to Simon.
    Simon: Hi I'm Simon. How can I help?
    chester: hi simon
    Simon: Hi.
    chester: i have a question regarding my moms iphone
    Simon: Yes, you can tell me.
    chester: she's here visiting me in usa and she wants to use her phone in usa
    chester: but.. when she puts in an ATT sim card, it does not work
    chester: how do we get it to work?
    Simon: Can you tell me from where she has purchase the iPhone?
    chester: not sure, but i believe she purchased it from one of the o2 outlets
    Simon: It seems that the iPhone is locked to O2 network so you'll need to unlock it so that you can use another network SIM card in your iPhone.
    chester: ohh
    chester: is that hard to do?
    chester: does she need to be in uk to do that?
    Simon: Can you tell me the IMEI number of your phone?
    chester: hmm... let me see if she is awake.. please hold
    Simon: Yes, she needs to be in UK to unlock the iPhone.
    chester: she's already sleeping in her room
    Simon: It depends upon the IMEI number as well.
    chester: i can get it in the morning
    Simon: Not a problem.
    chester: but im pretty sure, the imei is from uk
    Simon: It takes 3 working days to unlock the iPhone.
    chester: is there a way to lock it while she's here visiting me?
    Simon: Also, you'll be charged 15 from the calltime balance.
    Simon: We need to check with the IMEI number.
    chester: im okay with the 15 as long as she can make local calls
    chester: okay, i'll contact o2 again when she's awake and provide imei
    chester: is there anything else she needs to provide?
    Simon: You can chat with us as as we are open from 5am till 11pm everyday UK timings.
    chester: okay, but.. do you think it can be done in 3 days while she's visting outside of uk?
    Simon: She need to give the security details like current calltime balance, tariff, date method and amount of the last Top-Up done.
    chester: basicly she needs her account to be top off and thats it?
    Simon: Well it depends upon the IMEI number as if the number is linked then we can unlock it from USA as well.
    Simon: Yes, that's correct.
    chester: great. i'll inform her tomorrow and check back with o2.. thanks
    Simon: You're welcome.
    Simon: Is there anything else I can help you with?
    chester: thats it.. thanks simon
    Simon: You're welcome.
    Simon: It was great chatting with you.
    Simon: Have a nice day.
    Simon: Bye.
    chester: good evening, bye
    ohh man.. i just realized you have an ip4s i read this on there site, but hopefully they are unlocking ip4s now as this comment below applied only during the ip4s launch months ago.

Can I buy an iPhone 4S and get it unlocked and use it on another network?

To make sure our iPhone 4S stock is reserved exclusively for genuine O2 customers during launch, we won't unlock iPhone 4S at this time.
    read this on there support section

Can I 'unlock' my iPhone and use it on another network?

Yes. If you're the main account holder, you can ask your individual users to complete the unlocking form and we'll unlock the iPhone free of charge. This doesn’t affect your contract though – you’ll still need to see out the rest of it.

Once we’ve got your form, it’ll then take up to 14 days for us to get it unlocked for you. Once it’s unlocked, we’ll text you to let you know. You can then put a non-O2 Sim into the iPhone and connect it to iTunes. iTunes will then tell you the phone is unlocked.
    more info

Can I 'unlock' my iPhone and use it on another network?

Yes. If you're the main account holder, you can ask your individual users to complete the unlocking form and we'll unlock the iPhone free of charge. This doesn’t affect your contract though – you’ll still need to see out the rest of it.

Once we’ve got your form, it’ll then take up to 14 days for us to get it unlocked for you. Once it’s unlocked, we’ll text you to let you know. You can then put a non-O2 Sim into the iPhone and connect it to iTunes. iTunes will then tell you the phone is unlocked.Can I 'unlock' my iPhone and use it on another network?

Once we’ve got your form, it’ll then take up to 14 days for us to get it unlocked for you. Once it’s unlocked, we’ll text you to let you know. You can then put a non-O2 Sim into the iPhone and connect it to iTunes. iTunes will then tell you the phone is unlocked.
    Last edited by daytonaviolet; 12-29-2011 at 02:44 AM.

i just got finish chatting with o2's customer service rep. they informed me that they can unlock an iphone as long as its not an ip4s or ip4 8g. they can also unlock it while the phone is located in usa. but they require a few things.

1/ IMEI must have uk origin
    2/ sim card must be top off with at least 15.
    3/ require calltime balance, tariff, date method and amount of last top up

i believe you already qualify for all these items. since you have the o2 sim, you just need to top up (add money to the sim card). hopefully that sim card has made a few calls in the o2 network in UK. i believe your in good shape to qualify for an IMEI unlock. this is identical to a factory unlock. okay, but you'll need to lie a bit below is my conversation with the csr. i believe o2 will unlock your iphone because i did something similar to this months ago and was able to IMEI unlock my iphone in california. only difference is my iphone was never on the o2 network and its IMEI orgin is north america and not uk. but i was lucky enough to chat with several csr and found one lazy one. she didnt even bother to look up my IMEI origin nor ask for my sim number. she only asked for my IMEI and unlocked it.

here is the online support page. if you fill out some of the lines, a pop will appear and ask you if you would like to chat with a csr.

here is the converstion

ohh man.. i just realized you have an ip4s i read this on there site, but hopefully they are unlocking ip4s now as this comment below applied only during the ip4s launch months ago.

read this on there support section

more info
    But the sim I have is an activation sim that came originally with the phone, but it's not on service (though full bars are showing up) and I also am not the 1st owner, I'm the 2nd, as I bought this phone from a guy off eBay, so basically I don't have an account with o2, and mine is a 4s, you probably had a 4, right?

doesn't hurt to try

doesn't hurt to try
    K I'll try and post back what happened, I'll try tomorrow