Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 running 4.0.1 and 01.59.00

Default iPhone 4 running 4.0.1 and 01.59.00
    So it looks like I am good to go to update to 5.0.1 and keep my baseband but all of the instructions that I have found say to make sure to use a custom IPSW. How do I do that? So far I have downloaded redsn0w_win_0.9.10b1.zip and iPhone3,1_5.01_9A405_Restore.ipsw.crdownload but I think the second file I downloaded is the stock and not custom. DO I need that one at all? Should I be downloading custom or will redsn0w create it for me? Any basic/specific instructions would be greatly appreciated. This forum has always helped me before so thanks in advance. I'm on Windows.

subscribing....im running the same stuff and wondering the same thing....

Thanks
    Thanked 15,502 Times in 7,090 Posts

The latest pwnage tool is what you should use to make a custom firmware to preserve your baseband.

Don't quote me on any of this but I believe the custom software can be downloaded. At least that's what I've read, everytime I tried loading a downloaded custom firmware though I ran into an error. I believe if you use quickpwn it will create the custom software for you.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There are plenty of custom firmwares floating around on the net that you can download but personally I wouldn't use any other custom firmwares but the ones that were created on my own. You never know how or what was created into that firmware from the net.

you can try using sn0wbreeze-v2.8b11. Its for windows and its for ios 5.0/5.0.1
    Last edited by ihappy; 12-27-2011 at 08:45 PM.

is there a trusted source?

where can i find said pwnage?

ahh....i think i found it..
    Last edited by a.t.; 12-27-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

pwnage tool is usually for macs from what I remember. Sn0wbreeze is like pwnage tool for windows. Been a couple of months since I have really messed with anything so things could've changed.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,502 Times in 7,090 Posts

Spot on. If you don't have a Mac best thing to do would probably be use snowbreeze to make a custom 5.0.1 (it will be tethered) then just either install corona on cydia to untether or run latest redsnow over it to untether.

aww damn. so i need sno0wbreeze for my pc?....ok.

so, snowbreeze for BB and redsnow for JB? I saw a vid in another thread showing us how to conserve BB all in the redsnow application. the vid was for a tethered Jb i believe. does that not work anymore?
    Last edited by a.t.; 12-27-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a.t. View Post
    aww damn. so i need sno0wbreeze for my pc?....ok.

so, snowbreeze for BB and redsnow for JB? I saw a vid in another thread showing us how to conserve BB all in the redsnow application. the vid was for a tethered Jb i believe. does that not work anymore?
    The preserving of the bb and tethered jb can still be done as this is the only way for sn0wbreeze anyways. Then u can just use Corona in Cydia over the tethered jb to become untethered.

From what I read from the other guys' posts snowbreeze will allow you to jailbreak. Unlike redsnow you are required to create custom Ipsw to allow the jailbreak to unlock. It's like a 2 for 1 I believe.

I used snowbreeze to preserve baseband and created custom firmware. Then used reds now to jb and used the same firmware created by snowbreeze. All is well

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Correct. Sn0wbreeze will create a custom fw and jb your device for you however its a tethered jb and will need the newest redsn0w to jb untethered. Just make sure to uncheck cydia since it will already be installed.

On a side note: I was playing around with the latest redsn0w (0.9.10b2) on a windows system and it seems that the custom fw process for preserving the bb works on this one. I know on some of the previous redsn0w betas it would only work for macs.

i skipped the tethered JB through snowbreeze and just moved straight to redsnow for the untethered jb. worked great. now if i can only remember what to download from cydia....