+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just bought an unlocked 3gs iOS 4.1, w/ t-mobile - can i upgrade to 4.2 or higher?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
This is my first iphone, have always had blackberry. I know nothing about the phone or half the technical language I've read on the boards. I have no idea what
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Just bought an unlocked 3gs iOS 4.1, w/ t-mobile - can i upgrade to 4.2 or higher?
    This is my first iphone, have always had blackberry. I know nothing about the phone or half the technical language I've read on the boards. I have no idea what a "blob" is, all i know about "jailbreak" is that it allows the use of 3rd party applications.
    All I know about this phone is that it's unlocked and works great with tmobile. I know the phone has iOS 4.1 on it and I was considering upgrading to 4.2, then isnt there a 4.3??, then the new 5.0. I'm eligible for an upgrade in Feb so I havent decided if I'm going to use this one or get the new BB Torch.

I've installed iTunes since I was told that's what I need to use to upgrade, but I can't figure it out.
    1) I dont know if it will work since I'm not an actual AT&T customer?
    1a) I'm afraid since the phone is "unlocked" that if i upgrade it wont work w/ tmobile anymore??
    2) It appears this phone has Cydia and ********** on it. Ive read these are for "unlocking" and "jailbreaking" -- if i upgrade will I lose these and my phone not work for tmobile?
    3) I've read the horror stories of upgrading iphones but that was why I wanted the 3gs thinking it would make things easier vs the 3g. Ideally if all goes well I was considering upgrading to the new 5.0, and read it was best to NOT jump from 4.1 to 5.0 missing the upgrades in between could be too much for the phone so I wanted to install each upgraded version.

thanks
    Last edited by jsbunnie; 12-26-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added content

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cant delete my above post, just registered for an itunes account and saw that i cant upgrade to other versions - the only option it gives me is 5.0.1

with cydia and i n s t a l l o u s - im afraid my phone wont be unlocked anymore if i upgrade. can anyone confirm?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Don't update unless you create a custom firmware to preserve the baseband, otherwise you will have to use the ipad baseband to unlock on tmobile.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not sure what baseband is I'll try to look it up tonight when i get back home. When I went into general settings though I tried to click on everything to find this, but I'm guessing its some type of internal code?
    I'm not tech savvy enough to go messing with this phone, my luck it wouldnt work and I'd be out $200 on a phone.

Any other suggestions or step by step instructions?

Green Apple
    Thanks

My advice would be to not upgrade. As far as I know there is no carrier unlock for t mobile yet, and if there was I wouldn't recommend someone with no prior experience to attempt the jailbreak/unlock. Just stick with what you have and wait until your upgrade!

Thanks

never mentioned if the phone was factory unlocked or software

Green Apple
    Thanks

I highly doubt it's factory unlocked. These phones were only sold in a select few countries as factory unlocked.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure your phone is on iPad Baseband. Person who owned phone before downgraded to 4.1 then installed iPad Baseband.

Do not upgrade. You will lose your unlock.

Thanks

He won't lose his unlock if it's in iPads baseband until they make a baseband above the iPads 6.15 baseband. Only thing he would have to worry about is ultrasn0w compatibility and it's good all the way up to 5.0.1