+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2.1

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, I had a unlocked iphone 3G 4.2.1 and just bought a unlocked iphone 3GS and when i connected my new 3GS to itunes to backup from my old 3G
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3GS upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2.1
    Hi, I had a unlocked iphone 3G 4.2.1 and just bought a unlocked iphone 3GS and when i connected my new 3GS to itunes to backup from my old 3G it told me it couldn't cause apparently my 3GS is on a older version 4.1. So now my question is what would be the easiest way to upgrade to 4.2.1 me being someone who has never unlocked or jailbroken a phone I've always bought it done or should i not even bother would there be another way for me to transfer over all my messages, purchased apps, contacts, etc..?

version: 4.1 (8b117)
    modern firmware: 06.15.00

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

You can't just restore to 4.2.1 without checking if you have any blobs for this 3gs or you will end up at 5.0.1

Green Apple
    Thanks

I probably don't have any blobs and to be honest don't know what that is. Would it be easy for me to upgrade to 5.0.1 ?

Thanks

Go to settings, general and about and check your bb first. Give me the first five serial number starting from the left.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

jim321 (12-24-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

My baseband is 06.15.00

serial number is 86121

Thanks

Alright you have the new bootrom and if you go to 5.0.1 , it will be a tethered jailbreak.
    You have ipad baseband, you can only restore to custom firmware using either snowbreeze 2.8b11 to build one or Build a N0_BB update ipsw from redsn0w 0.9.9b9d.
    Before you restore to custom firmware after building it, you need to put iphone into pwned dfu mode and then restore in itunes : shift + restore to cfw of whichever you have built.
    If you use the N0_BB update ipsw, you are not jailbroken yet but run rednsow again to jailbreak it and you run redsn0w to do a tether boot the first time you do your jailbreak with a white cydia icon and install Ultrasn0w to unlock.
    If your iphone is rebooted again, it will be at frozen apple logo, at this point you do a tether boot with redsn0w again.
    If you use Snowbreeze cfw of 5.0.1, once restored you are already jailbroken and you use ibooty to boot it up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

jim321 (12-24-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ah ok sounds like the upgrade process would be pretty hard and to be honest I'm not that interested in the new features anyways. So what is the best option for me to transfer my contacts, text messages, and apps from my 3G to 3GS if I can't use itunes? Thanks so much

Thanks

You can't as your backups is higher than your iphone ios version. Why don't you check to see if you have 4.3.3 blob.
    Do this :
    Download tiny umbrella , plug iphone in run Tiny umbrella , make sure : request shsh blob from cydia is checked and and click save shsh. Look under general tab, it will show you all the blobs you have.

Green Apple
    Thanks

How would the 3GS have a 4.3.3 blob if its still on 4.1 ? Also couldn't I use ssh and transfer my 3G files to my computer then use SSH again to transfer them to my new 3GS from my computer or something along those lines?

Thanks

You can do the ssh files transfer.