+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading to iOS 5 Concerns

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello All, I am currently on 4.3.3 Baseband 4.10.01. I would like to upgrade to iOS 5 and I am aware it is possible without upgrading baseband and be able
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Upgrading to iOS 5 Concerns
    Hello All,

I am currently on 4.3.3 Baseband 4.10.01. I would like to upgrade to iOS 5 and I am aware it is possible without upgrading baseband and be able to use gevey.
    But, I would like to know if I can go back to 4.3.3 if gevey doesn't work out for any reason.
    1) Will I able to restore to the earlier setting without having to reinstall all apps and settings?
    2) I am on gevey blue (supreme), did anyone have success with this gevey?
    3) Does anyone know of any guide/instructions to use? As I feel many softwares/instructions are frequently updated, I don't know which one to rely on.

Thanks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lizardwolf View Post
    Hello All,

I am currently on 4.3.3 Baseband 4.10.01. I would like to upgrade to iOS 5 and I am aware it is possible without upgrading baseband and be able to use gevey.
    But, I would like to know if I can go back to 4.3.3 if gevey doesn't work out for any reason.
    1) Will I able to restore to the earlier setting without having to reinstall all apps and settings?
    2) I am on gevey blue (supreme), did anyone have success with this gevey?
    3) Does anyone know of any guide/instructions to use? As I feel many softwares/instructions are frequently updated, I don't know which one to rely on.

Thanks!
    if you saved your 4.3.3 shsh blobs, then yes you can go back to 4.3.3 once upgrading to 5. but if you haven't already then its too late as apple is no longer signing 4.3.3.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

No, I haven't saved 4.3.3. blob. shsh a firmware file? because I have once formatted the device and set put it to factory (4.3.3) setting from itunes. Does apple sign 4.3.5? Is there a work around for this? assuming baseband is preserved. I don't have a firmware file 4.3.5.
    And, will I be able to upgrade later iOS 5 firmwares from 5.0.1, or I will be locked on one firmware?

thanks

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Save your blobs first using TinyUmbrella. Then if you upgrade make a CFW using sn0wbreeze so you can preserve your baseband. Once done, restore to that CFW (make sure to put your iPhone in DFU mode).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
    if you saved your 4.3.3 shsh blobs, then yes you can go back to 4.3.3 once upgrading to 5. but if you haven't already then its too late as apple is no longer signing 4.3.3.
    I saved shsh blob. Does that mean I can revert back to 4.3.3? or does it need to be signed?
    I used tiny umbrella and it saved shsh blob.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

You can downgrade to 4.3.3 if ya have the blobs.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You can also use iFaith 1.4.1 which essentially creates a custom firmware that you are currently using (in this case, 4.3.3) that you can later use to restore to.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I created a custom IPSW from tinyumbrella shsh file (TinyUmbrella didn't go in DFU mode to create SHSH file, whereas iFaith does).
    I hope I did it right, just want to make sure I am doing it right.

For upgrading to iOS 5.0.1 does it need signing?
    And what software do you recommend to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 and to preserve baseband?
    Also, is there anything I should take note of for upgrading/downgrading?

Edit: Is there anyway to get rid of snowbreeze logo. I have been seeing it in videos.
    It just looks like phone is hacked. =P
    One more thing, does iOS 5 do system update from the phone, so if iOS 5.0.2 was released and I installed it, would it preserve baseband or put new baseband?

Appreciate your help
    Last edited by lizardwolf; 12-21-2011 at 02:43 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

One more question, say upgrade didn't go as planned and I had error messages.
    What can firmware should I restore back to 4.3.3 signed or 4.3.3 firmware (downloaded from Apple)?

Update: I keep getting error 2005 in itunes. I switched computers and cables, but still pops up.
    Help? I have latest version of itunes btw.
    Last edited by lizardwolf; 12-21-2011 at 04:20 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Update 2:
    I was able to solve error 2005 with older version of itunes (10.4.1), then I get past this error 1600 by using iREB. Now, during installation I get error 10 and phone doesn't boot up. Can get any better?
    How did this upgradation go smooth with same situation for other folks?? I read there are couple people with gevey on iOS 5 on this forum.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am back on 4.3.3. Thanks, tuoithin!

Any ideas why I am getting so many errors??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated..