+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can Apple unlock an iPhone?

is a discussion within the

Unlocking / Activation

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Can Apple unlock an iPhone?
    OK, so I thought I already knew the answer to this question. And that answer is no, right?

I've just had a huge argument with someone who works for O2 UK.

She claimed that Apple will unlock any iPhone for a fee of 15 but I've found no evidence to support this claim.

As far as I was aware there are 3 ways to unlock iPhone.

1) Carrier unlocks - and the phone must be unlocked by the carrier its locked to.

2) Ultrasn0w for supported basebands.

3) The Gavey SIM for supported basebands/firmware versions.

Of course you can buy an unlocked iPhone directly from Apple too.

Am I right when I say that Apple wont remove a carrier unlock from an iPhone?

I've been using the Dev Teams unlock soloutions since the days of the 2G but this girl was so certain she actually made me question my knowledge.

So, will Apple unlock carrier locked iPhones. Also, are there any other ways to unlock that I've not mentioned here?

Cheers folks.
    If I helped please head on over and smash the Thanks button.

My Personal Cydia source: apt.finalbillybong.com

Thanks

Yes apple can unlock your phone, now whether or not they will is a different story. O2 will unlock it for the original owner which is through apple not O2. It's available to most if not all carriers threw apple. AT&T will not unlock no matter what for some reason it's the carriers choice to do it for you.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Apple, the greediest company in the world, will in fact unlock your iPhone, only if you throw a couple thousand dollars their way.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drenline View Post
    Apple, the greediest company in the world, will in fact unlock your iPhone, only if you throw a couple thousand dollars their way.
    This is true, lol

You can always try AT&T, calling in for an unlock code and saying you don't have an account and giving them the imei, never hurts to try

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

O2 does unlock but only for there subsidized phones. but if your on there network, they will unlock for 15. in the past, you can find a gullable CSR to unlock for you. as for ATT unlocking your iphone.. good luck. they would rather have you pay an extra $500 for a new one then they will unlock

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I called Apple last week to ask. The answer I got was they are under contract with AT&T (my phone is AT&T locked), so they will not do it. They told me to call AT&T which I did, and AT&T will not do it no matter what reason I gave them... 8-((

Thanks

All every other carrier will unlock ur iphone with small fee except Att US. I believe to get att reverse the policy for unlock the iphone is a lawsuit.
    Last edited by monkeydance; 12-14-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -JailbreakeR- View Post
    Yes apple can unlock your phone, now whether or not they will is a different story. O2 will unlock it for the original owner which is through apple not O2. It's available to most if not all carriers threw apple. AT&T will not unlock no matter what for some reason it's the carriers choice to do it for you.
    This is the best answer in this thread. Quoted for truth.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Isn't their some kind of policy that you can use to get your phone unlocked?

Thanks

Nope not with AT&T. They are such a pain when dealing with unlocking any phone at all. They just don't want to unlock anything at all.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    Nope not with AT&T. They are such a pain when dealing with unlocking any phone at all. They just don't want to unlock anything at all.
    I had a dell streak and although I didn't have an AT&T account at all they got me the unlock code

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stefan.buddle View Post
    I had a dell streak and although I didn't have an AT&T account at all they got me the unlock code
    That's because the streak codes are available from dell just like the blackjack 2 they'll unlock those because they if they don't the manufacturer will. so kinda pointless to fight those instances.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    That's because the streak codes are available from dell just like the blackjack 2 they'll unlock those because they if they don't the manufacturer will. so kinda pointless to fight those instances.
    Apple can unlock the same phone if they so desired with a new WildcardToken, carrier be damned.

Apple won't step on toes, and AT&T are just massive jerks. Same with Softbank in Japan.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can a person at an Apple store unlock an iPhone? Anyone know this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Apple can unlock the same phone if they so desired with a new WildcardToken, carrier be damned.

Apple won't step on toes, and AT&T are just massive jerks. Same with Softbank in Japan.
    Basically my point. It can be done yes. You got to follow the money apple gets a kick back from AT&T (like most other companies as well) hence "special" smartphone/iPhone data plans. If they did the unlock for you or sold the unlocked phones chances of people selling them goes threw the roof. Now I know it happens that way now but better if they sell locked phones so someone else has to pick up the tab. It's not good when someone sells the iPhone they just bought cancels most additions in there account drops back down to a dumb phone. Then the person who bought it takes it to say t-mo for a way cheaper plan that's not good business. Dell and Samsung may get a little kick back but not enough to justify loosing sales/customers over. I maybe wrong tho but in this scenario apple and AT&T lose out.

How's orbyorb been its been awhile ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well... O2 ireland unlocks apple the very next day of purchase as long as its purchased under contract... No hassle... O2 will request the pin from apple and in turn will be texted to u once the pin is generated in a day or 2...

Thanks

Your answer is about a year late, but OK, never mind