Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Methods to unlock iPhone 4 5.0.1?

One more question. Would the iPhone 4S unlock found using an AT&T SIM work? I'm guessing the 4S is using the 4.11.08 baseband, and is obviously iOS 5.

Default hi
    Quote Originally Posted by -JailbreakeR- View Post
    If you have to have an unlock the best way would be to just buy one from an apple store since they sell them unlocked. The problems with trying to keep a certain baseband is that "somehow" they usually get updated and you lose your unlock for good. Factory unlocked beats a software unlock any day of the week.

can you buy an unluck from apple store if leave overseas?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

No you can't buy one from apple. You may be able to convince the carrier to unlock it for you if they can. AT&T doesn't like to unlock iphones for you regardless of if your going overseas or not. Never heard of anyone successfully getting an unlock from AT&T.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,757 Times in 2,646 Posts

You can buy factory unlocked from Apple Stores anywhere around the globe. You just need to pay full price for it. It is only those iphones that have contracts are locked to a carrier.

If you pay full price for the factory unlocked, that means apple and AT&T have won. Do you want that? Lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drenline View Post
    If you pay full price for the factory unlocked, that means apple and AT&T have won. Do you want that? Lol
    Apple and AT&T have won especially with the unlock for the (later)3GS and iPhone 4. It's been a year and a half since an unlock been released for either one. So they have won. The only way to guarantee an unlock is to purchase factory unlocked to begin with.

Apple and AT&T have won especially with the unlock for the (later)3GS and iPhone 4. It's been a year and a half since an unlock been released for either one. So they have won. The only way to guarantee an unlock is to purchase factory unlocked to begin with.
    The later 3GS's can be unlocked with the ipad baseband.

The iphone 4's can be unlocked with gevey sim on any baseband before 04.11.08. They have only won after this baseband. It has NOT been a year and a half, not even a half a year, let a lone a year and a half.

Thanks

The later 3GS's can be unlocked with the ipad baseband.

The iphone 4's can be unlocked with gevey sim on any baseband before 04.11.08. They have only won after this baseband. It has NOT been a year and a half, not even a half a year, let a lone a year and a half.
    Actually the only baseband for iPhone 4 is 1.59.00. iPad baseband and gevey sim are work arounds not real unlocks. The iPad baseband just causes more headaches than anything else. It has been a year and a half since a software unlock has been released especially for iPhone 4.

Actually the only baseband for iPhone 4 is 1.59.00. iPad baseband and gevey sim are work arounds not real unlocks. The iPad baseband just causes more headaches than anything else. It has been a year and a half since a software unlock has been released especially for iPhone 4.
    You're wrong twice now, the "not real" unlocks appear to be real unlocks that do work. And just because the ipad baseband causes some headaches doesn't make it a real unlock? Nice try, but failed once again.

Thanks

You're wrong twice now, the "not real" unlocks appear to be real unlocks that do work. And just because the ipad baseband causes some headaches doesn't make it a real unlock? Nice try, but failed once again.
    No sorry I'm not wrong. The gevey sim is not an unlock for the phone. Your just tricking it into connecting to a different company tower with hardware. Essentially your placing an emergency call without calling an emergency number. Hence why you have to dial 112 and hang up etc. the iPad baseband is a different story, it's just a fluke really. It breaks more than it helps and it uses the same soft unlock that 1.59.00 just in the iPad which has no gps (or different gps module). Which is why it breaks gps. Then you have to use custom ipsw files to restore. If you rely on an unlock and know before hand just buy factory unlocked to avoid accidental updates and so forth.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,504 Times in 7,091 Posts

No sorry I'm not wrong. The gevey sim is not an unlock for the phone. Your just tricking it into connecting to a different company tower with hardware. Essentially your placing an emergency call without calling an emergency number. Hence why you have to dial 112 and hang up etc. the iPad baseband is a different story, it's just a fluke really. It breaks more than it helps and it uses the same soft unlock that 1.59.00 just in the iPad which has no gps (or different gps module). Which is why it breaks gps. Then you have to use custom ipsw files to restore. If you rely on an unlock and know before hand just buy factory unlocked to avoid accidental updates and so forth.
    I wouldn't say the iPad baseband breaks more then it helps at all. Sure there is the gps thing. But blaming custom firmware on it is not fair. If you have a unlockable baseband (eg 5.13.04) then you have to use custom firmware all the time anyway if you want to preserve your baseband and unlock.

As for the gevey I would consider them a unlock. There is the annoying 112 thing after a reboot (or not if you have an ultra) but the end result is a phone that works with any sim. So I guess it just depends on what your definition of an unlock is. All ultrasnow does is run a program that uses an exploit to unlock the phone. Gevey sim does the same thing but uses a different exploit and needs a small piece of hardware. Obviously ultrasnow is more convenient but they both provide the same thing. With that line of thinking I wouldn't consider any unlocking a "real" unlock except for an official unlock from Apple (I don't think that).

Thanks

Yes the only true unlock does come from apple. Everything else is just a hack with many draw backs but if you need it then it'll get you by.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,504 Times in 7,091 Posts

I can mostly agree with that. Unfortunately getting an apple official unlock isn't a reality for some people so these other methods are all they have.

Wrong for a 3rd time now, the ipad baseband does not break more than it helps, you can keep going to try and redeem yourself, but it's been proven to result in another fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I can mostly agree with that. Unfortunately getting an apple official unlock isn't a reality for some people so these other methods are all they have.
    EXACTLY what I was saying! Even though they sell factory unlocked iPhones doesn't mean the iphone dev team should stop with the unlocks. Most people can't afford a factory unlocked iPhone, like me, and would much rather use a software unlock..

If I had already had an iPhone, it wouldn't be an issue, I already know about preserving basebands and stuff (and now about not being able to downgrade), but all the iPhones on ebay and on apple (obviously) are basically 4.11.08, and if they aren't, they cost 500 dollars :P

Thanks
    Thanked 2,757 Times in 2,646 Posts

Phones locked is due to the fact the buyers signed agreement and get subsidized rate. In Asia, there isn't this problem as all phones sold are factory unlocked and they pay full price.
    Most Smartphones other than iphones are also locked and cannot be unlocked unless you ask your provider to provide you with the secret codes .
    With all these being said, the person behind the Dev Team who works on unlocks has left. Unless some brilliant guy comes along and join the team and work on unlocks, there won't be any unlocks coming soon.

Frankly speaking, I wouldn't buy any more locked iphones . I tell why , reason is as follow :
    I have a locked Fido iphones, fdo can unlock this iphone but Fido says only the person who purchased the iphone under agreement can request for unlock. Even if i subscribed with Fido , they won't unlock it for me. This fido iphone will be locked forever of its lifetime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12